993 Forum 1995-1998

Why Do You Love the 993 Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Yeap, the thread that your buddy started regarding narrow body vs wide body was very valid and technically accurate
huh? my buddy? I've argued publicly with Vram and could hardly be construed as his buddy. I've never met the individual. I agree with some of his statements, but don't agree with his comments regarding women and bonster. I also don't agree with you calling him a moron or baselessly calling him my buddy, but hey, thats your perogative.

The last 993 was made in 1998. Most "technical stuff" has been done by someone and posted on the board. Not much innovation is left either as frankly tuners and such are moving to more profitable/newer models. Lots of new owners that come to experience and enjoy their "new" 911's have the same questions that I had when I bought my first 993 back 12 years ago. As the models age even more, most of the same questions will continue to be asked. Frankly sometimes even the search function will confused some needing a straight answer.

So yes, some will ask exactly the same questions, some will post about the wear and tear items on interiors etc, with our aging cars, some "technical" discussions may actually revolve around cosmetics and not only a "rebuilt" which frankly few have the knowledge, time and courage to perform.
This fact alone do not make these conversations not worthy. Trolling and provoking people does.
While i disagree and find the search to be very useful, this is a valid statement. nevertheless, its hard to consider this a great tech forum when the "real" tech threads are so few and far between.

As for provoking people, it can be very worthwhile. Most people on here get very ingrained in the way they think and do things. Sometimes a break with conventional thinking is exactly whats needed. If a few feathers are ruffled as a result, well, oh well.

There is nothing wrong with people taking pride in their rides. Without that there would be no car shows, frankly there would not be much of anything in life. You may not want to be part of it, that is fine, stay out, dont say anything that would not add to the discussion.
Eh, not to start this argument again, but taking pride in objects is a bit strange to me.

the tough thing about not saying things that don't add to the discussion is thats a subjective opinion. What you might not think adds value is precisely what someone else might be looking for...or can we only say positive things now?

You need to get banned or get out or change completely your tune and attitude towards this community. Obviously you dont enjoy this place and you need "dissent" to stroke your ego. That is not the place for that and there are plenty other forums for you to enjoy. You should take a hint really from other people's comments about your "dissent" .

The choice is yours.
the choice is mine, and I'm not changing for you or anyone else.

Btw, who are you again? Do you own/run/moderate this forum? If not, perhaps you should tone down your views on who should get banned.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I have only been aware of this forum for a little over a year, although I have owned 7 911's. I pick up my I-Pad at least 10 times a day to see new posts. The advice on offer here has been quite valuable to me. I wouldn't say it saves me money, but I have a better car from following the advice given here.

Quadcammer is occasionally provocative but never as rude as some of the posts I've read from others. His presence here is a big plus in my opinion. He has knowledge that he is generous in sharing and he is quick to call bull$hit when it is called for. I have always liked a guy who calls it as he sees it, even when his popularity would suffer. Arguments, or dialectic if you will, is how one proceeds toward the truth.

There are some pretty silly threads that get started, but I don't have to read them, just as no one has to read Quadcammer. I'm just now reminded of Rodney King...Can't we all just get along?
Plus freaking 1! All counts
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I have only been aware of this forum for a little over a year, although I have owned 7 911's. I pick up my I-Pad at least 10 times a day to see new posts. The advice on offer here has been quite valuable to me. I wouldn't say it saves me money, but I have a better car from following the advice given here.

Quadcammer is occasionally provocative but never as rude as some of the posts I've read from others. His presence here is a big plus in my opinion. He has knowledge that he is generous in sharing and he is quick to call bull$hit when it is called for. I have always liked a guy who calls it as he sees it, even when his popularity would suffer. Arguments, or dialectic if you will, is how one proceeds toward the truth.

There are some pretty silly threads that get started, but I don't have to read them, just as no one has to read Quadcammer. I'm just now reminded of Rodney King...Can't we all just get along?
thanks and hope you're enjoying the turbo after the drama @ purchase

I bet Dr. Porsche argued with quite a few people about placing the engine in the trunk. If he hadn't and just gone with the conventional wisdom, there wouldn't be a hell of a lot to talk about right now.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I really agree with this post.

I wouldn't enjoy this place as much without a (sometimes) valid contrarian point of view. Often, the 993 Kool-Aid gets a little sweet, and Quadcammer's bitter acerbic sarcasm is a refreshing addition.

If we are going to keep any spoiled, silver spoon fed, 20-something brat, I for one would like to keep Quadcammer around. At least he knows his cars and is knowledgable, even if his lack of life experience makes him act like *** Clown King 2012 And Beyond sometimes.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is Mike In Chi.........?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Who is Phil/Fil/Phlat BlkFill?

Better yet, why is Phil?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
even if his lack of life experience makes him act like *** Clown King 2012 And Beyond sometimes.
beat it grandpa.

GET OFF MY LAWN
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I really agree with this post.

I wouldn't enjoy this place as much without a (sometimes) valid contrarian point of view. Often, the 993 Kool-Aid gets a little sweet, and Quadcammer's bitter acerbic sarcasm is a refreshing addition.

If we are going to keep any spoiled, silver spoon fed, 20-something brat, I for one would like to keep Quadcammer around. At least he knows his cars and is knowledgable, even if his lack of life experience makes him act like *** Clown King 2012 And Beyond sometimes.
Convincing argument goofballdeluxe!
I agree. Keep him around for a contrarian point of view. But he has to change his name to *** Clown King 2012 and Beyond.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Convincing argument goofballdeluxe!
I agree. Keep him around for a contrarian point of view. But he has to change his name to *** Clown King 2012 and Beyond.

Maybe a sage moderator can change the tag underneath his name from "Super User" to "*** Clown King 2012" as a temporary punishment
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I have to say that our long time rennlister Mark in Baltimore has a interesting way of just igniting his own type of controversy and then sit back and shoot arrows at those who do not agree with him.

And when I mention this, M in B will begin his attack on me for just raising the concern that his comments are too nasty.

Read all the posts that quadcammer has generated. Does he have a different view - yes. Is there some interesting perspectives that are worthy of debate - I think so. Does he drink the 993 kool-aid and believe that his sh$t don't stink ---no.

Read the 1st post that Quadcammer had on this thread and ask yourself where the negative comments thereafter come from.

Maybe you should change the name of this forum to the "Mark in Baltimore" discussion forum. The moderators give M in B a bit too much leeway.

Too bad an innocent thread turns ugly again. Thanks. Mark in Baltimore. From your friend Mark (in NJ).
Sweet! Thank you!!

If I start shilling cars and passing them off as my own personal vehicles, will you like me more? You don't have to say anything; I know the answer and couldn't care less.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey!!! Knock it off! If you want to start a gripe thread, do it. Can't my thread be kept as intended? Why can't we have just one? And I don't care who started it. And it isn't about drinking the Kool-Aid. Yeah, my poop stinks. I fart and sweat, too. So? Having a 993 does not make me a better person. It makes me happy. And I don't feel one bit guilty that everytime I look at him I smile. Do I see it as an accomplishment? You bet I do. I worked hard to get that car.

Anyway... if you wanted a technical thread, you should not have bored yourself by reading through this one. Yeah, maybe it is a little mushy - so? Were there any puppies killed in this thread?? No.

Okay... I tried to put all negative comments in one post, without using names. And damn it... now I am laughing because I can't hardly keep a straight face anymore. But give us a break. Sometimes it is nice to talk about things we like.

Carry on... I think I hear a nap calling.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

the choice is mine, and I'm not changing for you or anyone else.

Btw, who are you again? Do you own/run/moderate this forum? If not, perhaps you should tone down your views on who should get banned.
Exactly. The choice is yours. As much as the consequences that arise from these choices.

Who I'm I? People who know me, know exactly who I am and what I stand for. I dont need to own/moderate or run this forum to have an opinion that affects the community that I belong to and care, for over a decade now.

As much as you have your opinions , I too have mine and will publicly state them as much as I would state them to you in person. You take them or dismiss them as much as you want.

My argument with you is not that you have a different opinion, but the way you state it and the way you have provoked people in the past. This is "trolling".

I enjoy a good argument, well thought and stated and that is absolutely fine and welcomed.

For me I said my piece and I'm done with it. You may disagree. Fine.
Again. The choice is yours.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

All this on a Monday?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chsu74
All this on a Monday?
Monday? really? Is it the first monday of the week or the 2nd?

Quick Reply: Why Do You Love the 993 Forum?