993 Forum 1995-1998

'95 993 horn issue request for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Chester Barry
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 993 horn issue request for help

Horn starting blowing when I applied brakes hard. That became problematic when stopping for little old ladies and other pedestrians at crosswalk in my red Porsche. I assumed problem was in horn contact switch in steering wheel. Now horn blows constantly whenever I start engine. I guess it's time to fix problem. Helpful suggestions? Remove steering wheel and take a look around for problem? Any other possibilities? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had this fixed on mine. The horn going off over big bumps and hard braking is a bit alarming to passers by.
There is a bracket inside the wheel assembly that has spring like mounts. These fail due to the weight of the wheel working against gravity. You need to get the wheel pulled, replace the bracket and then you are good to go. Now I have to adjust to driving without holding the side of the airbag away from the wheel with my finger tips.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want a ghetto solution...do what i do, works just fine.

take the airbag off (follow all processions) grab some bubble wrap with tape into small *****. Using some common sense place them in all four corners of the plate (the one that activates the horn) and glue them on with a strong glue. Make sure the plate gets pushed off the sensor, it may take some time to properly get this done. Once thats ready place the airbag back on and your set. I have had this for over a year already and it works perfect.

again, im no expert, but i found a solution that works for me. I am not saying you should do what i did so i dont want to cause any damage (although i see none since its just a solution to push the plate up).

Last edited by gaby1088; 05-10-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

You have to change the rubber grommets that sits in the air bag frame in the steering wheel.
I tried to fix them with both some rubber rings and silicone, but this failed completely after a year or so. I tried to buy a new airbag frame, but my type of frame were not available any more. Bought the newer type, and popped out the grommets to fit into mine. That was a 1/2 hour job including removing the steering wheel.
Grommets are also available as a spare part:
http://www.allzim.com/cgi/sh000001.p...347_2e823_2e00
Cheers,
Tore
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
I tried to buy a new airbag frame, but my type of frame were not available any more. Bought the newer type, and popped out the grommets to fit into mine. That was a 1/2 hour job including removing the steering wheel.
Grommets are also available as a spare part:
http://www.allzim.com/cgi/sh000001.p...347_2e823_2e00
Cheers,
Tore
I assume that you have the 95' which isn't available anymore and you bought the 96'+ and popped out the grommets? How hard is it? any special tools?

Also, I can't remember how it looked but is it possible to just buy the 96'+ frame and drill new holes to fit the 95' steering? Is it just the holes that are located at different locations?

thx
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
tribaltech
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah, I have the same problem, everyone was making fun of me at the autox as the horn would honk on heavy breaking. I'll have to get that fixed before the next one.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester Barry
...horn blows constantly whenever I start engine. I guess it's time to fix problem. Helpful suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. Use the search function on the subject of horn retaining frame.

You'll find the problem is common and read about various solutions. Also note that you should wait 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery before pulling the airbag. The bubble wrap method mentioned above seems to be a new approach. I tried silicone, which lasted about two years, and installed a new frame last year when the horn started to blow occasionally.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So what exactly IS the deal with those rubber grommets? Are they compressed into the frame? Is it a huge deal to get the out and put new ones in? Do the ones shown in the link above fit right in? The ones above show for a '94 or '95 car...maybe because the frame isn't available and you have to just replace the grommets. But at $22 each...that's probably $100 delivered...us >'96 guys could get the entire frame with new grommets.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

The grommets are made of rubber, and they are molded into a button shaped aluminium housing. It's easy to pop these out of the aluminium frame using a pair of pliers and a screw driver. It's fairly thin aluminium.
As far as I remember, the newer airbag frames does not fit the older steering wheel or air bag.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-16-2013, 07:03 PM
fade67
6th Gear

Has anyone tried to use a rubber washer from the hardware store instead of the $24 grommets? I'm cheap
Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 290 Posts

OK I just purchased a 96 C4S and the horn doesnt work - I know it's the actuator in the steering wheel, but I have no idea how to get into this- can someone provide some pictures??
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled the horn relay till I find time to do the repairs.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
OK I just purchased a 96 C4S and the horn doesnt work - I know it's the actuator in the steering wheel, but I have no idea how to get into this- can someone provide some pictures??
Welcome to 993 ownership. I have no pics. If you search this forum your may find some. But, it's not complicated.

As noted earlier in this thread, disconnect the battery and let things rest for 20-30 minutes. Then, remove the two Torx screws on the rear of the steering wheel. You may need to turn the steering off center to allow easier access to the holes. Sorry, I don't recall the bit size.

Once the screws are loose, pull the airbag unit in the center of the wheel straight toward the rear of the car to remove. You'll then see and have access to everything you need. Installation is the reverse.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 290 Posts

JIM PA- Thanks- I did see a very nice outline on the site for this issue- seems to be a popular issue!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM
lopro
Banned

some reading that may or may not pertain--> https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ing-frame.html

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...heavy-braking/

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...orn-issue.html

Quick Reply: '95 993 horn issue request for help