993 Forum 1995-1998

The One?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The One?

I might have found the One to replace my MY05 997.1 2S.

She is a blue MY96 993, grey interior with 33k miles, looks to be in great condition all around, has good records, and drives like a champ.

I say "blue" as I am not completely certain of the color. It might be Iris Blue but I have not seen that color in person. It doesn't look like Midnight Blue to me. Maybe hard to tell from the pics but the I think the color looks fantastic. If anyone can identify the color I would appreciate it. I'll try to get better pics soon.

She also has lots of nice upgrades including:
Fabspeed exhaust with muffler bypass (stock headers, stock cats)
Big Red Brakes
H&R Coilovers with adjustable platforms
H&R Sways
LSD
RS Clutch with 996 clutch disc
Lightweight flywheel
Steel synchros
Half Cage
TechArt front air dam
Recaro SRD seats (also have stock seats (front and rear) which are in great shape)
RS Wing
Clear corners

These upgrades were also done around 22k-28k miles, so relatively recently. Car has seen some DE events in the DC/Baltimore area so maybe somebody around here know her.

Car handles amazingly well--better than my 997.1, at least from my test drive. I found a couple of twisty roads and was able to spend a couple of hours tooling around in the 993. I just know this car would be great at the track.

There is no sneaking up anyone in this car. She is loud--very loud--but in a raucous sex kinda way that I quite enjoy. Not sure what the cops are going to think about the noise though. I may add mufflers at some point--but probably only when I get a ticket and have to do so.

I would be trading my current 997.1 for this 993. The deal is close to an even trade money-wise which seems like a decent deal to me.

I am doing a PPI tomorrow. Thanks to those who have kept me on track with a PPI. Going to Chapman Autowerks based on a recommendation in another thread. Taylor is kind enough to let me watch and hang out while they do the PPI. Should be a good learning experience for me.

Now here is the hard part (assuming good PPI). I love my 997.1 (Mitzy). It is hard to walk away from her. The 997 is faster, much newer, and a joy to drive. I wish I had the garage space and a bit more cash that I was willing to part with right now.

Also, this 993 leans a bit harder towards the track than is likely best for a near DD (I plan to commute a couple of times a week and drive one of my other cars the other days and avoid snow/salt). But with mufflers and a bit higher ride height I think it would be fine. Comments invited on this point in particular by the way. The clutch is heavier than my 997 and engages much more quickly and wasn't bad in heavy traffic. My wife doesn't care for the Recaros--she thinks they look like kids car seats--but I think they look fine and are rather comfy. I could always put in the stock seats in any event.

I haven't bought her yet and am thinking very hard.

Pics follow. I know many are really just here for the pics anyway.
Attached Images       
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great, enjoy
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a real beauty, love the color. Trust me after you own this for a month you won't be thinking about the 997 anymore, it's always challenging to give up a car but that changes once you get the new one in the garage.

997 is a great car but as you know the 993 is just something very different and obviously something you can appreciate, esp if your at this point of almost purchasing.

I recently drove my friend's 997 and I use to have a 987 for many years, literally comparing to the 993 the new models have very little mechanical feel, they are just so smooth, perfect for everyday commuting.

Good luck with your decision, I wouldn't even look back!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm. My 993 is a little more street-centric than I'd like. If you buy that, we can just trade. BAM. Problem solved!

Joking aside, that's a beautiful car with some tasteful modifications!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If the PPI works out, don't wait this one is a beauty.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice! Looks like Midnoght Blue to me. Paint code would be L39C.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Nice car!
Love those TechArt fog/duct mods...
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Dr. Vader
Instructor

I would do the same thing, I've been thinking of trading in the 997.1S for a 964 Turbo. I just need to find the right one. Good Luck and don't look back !!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great. Do the front wheels looked a little too much tucked in towards the center of the car??? The offset looks a little off to me. Are these factory wheels are replicas?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Nice looking car! Seems well taken care of. What width/offset are the front wheels? They look a bit tucked in.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csmab
Looks great. Do the front wheels looked a little too much tucked in towards the center of the car??? The offset looks a little off to me. Are these factory wheels are replicas?
Originally Posted by ilko
Nice looking car! Seems well taken care of. What width/offset are the front wheels? They look a bit tucked in.
Wheels are factory hollow spoke and in great condition.

I don't know what the offset is and hadn't noticed the tucked in look. I will look into that during the PPI later today. I guess you are recommending more offset?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Nice car!
Love those TechArt fog/duct mods...
Thanks! I really like them too. Dealer told me that the Techart front air dam is no longer being made. Same story with Fabspeed exhaust with muffler bypass.

I have lots of speed bumps in my neighborhood and am afraid of damaging the front air dam. If I trade for this car, I will likely raise the ride height a bit. She is quite low.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knight
That's a real beauty, love the color. Trust me after you own this for a month you won't be thinking about the 997 anymore, it's always challenging to give up a car but that changes once you get the new one in the garage.

Good luck with your decision, I wouldn't even look back!

Thanks Knight. I already had her in my garage last night. Dealer was very cool and let me take her home which also makes getting out to the PPI much easier.

I had a hard time sleeping last night--the exhaust music was playing through my head and keeping me up. Opening up the garage door this morning brought a huge smile to my face. It was then that I realized how much skinnier the NB 993 is compared to my 997.1
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister C
Wheels are factory hollow spoke and in great condition.

I don't know what the offset is and hadn't noticed the tucked in look. I will look into that during the PPI later today. I guess you are recommending more offset?
I would check the wheel size and look into the alignment settings. Could be that there is a lot of negative camber up front which might be good for the track, but not so good for the street.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Front suspension looks fine and is set up for the track with probably 2 degrees or so of negative camber.

Quick Reply: The One?