Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

It's a Dirty Game

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
MGibilisco
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It's a Dirty Game

Soooo…. I saw a Speed Yellow ’95 993 go up on Autotrader a few weeks ago, and I started calling the minute I saw the ad. Long story short, I missed the car by maybe an hour. The seller said he had no cash in hand, but that he was going to honor the guy’s desire for the car. Discouraged, I hung up the phone.

Fast Forward 3 weeks…

Cruising eBay to see if anything new is out there, and low and behold… The SY coupe that was for sale on Autotrader is now on eBay, only now its with a dealer for $34,800 instead of $27,000. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m no capitalist hater and to the Victor go the spoils, but man this stinks! The car was for sale out of Louisa, VA, Autocheck shows Louisa, VA as the last point of registration. The PO in a bizarre move put a C4S badge on the rear, this car has the same goofy emblem.
It’s hard enough to find one of these things, and the fact that we enthusiasts have to compete against dealers makes it even more interesting. I’m taking it in stride!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I know that story.

This is what happened to me when I was searching for mine.

There was one newly listed on Evilbay, about 5 hours from me, that looked nice and had 53K miles, 1 owner w/ RSD. It wasn't my first color choice but my second. I called my mechanic (who owns a Piper Warrior) and asked him if he wanted to fly up and take a look with me. He said sure thing and we picked a day. I then called the seller who said he had just made a deal w/ Victory Motors for $26,100 but he hadn't been paid yet. He said if I wired him $26,200 in less than an hour he would sell it to me. Well I wasn't about to do that.

So I called Victory Motors and explained that I was interested in the car. They told me they would sell it to me for $35,500.

Mind you the car was still in Burlington VT. and the papers hadn't passed yet. So I offered them $500. to go away and explained I would be saving them the 2K in shipping charges so they in effect would be making $2.5K for doing nothing. LoL :-). Of course they said no.

I still laugh about it today, sure would have liked to have seen the look on the guy's face when I told him It was like getting 2.5K for doing nothing.

The car was up on ebay in 3 weeks for $35,500.

Every now and then I wonder about it, but talk about having the gun to your head.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the flip side of that, those guys do beat you up over the price for sure. They were interested in my cab when I was selling it. Paid for a PPI and everything then wanted me to take a ton of cash off because the engine tray was gone (as so many of ours are). I ended up telling them to shove it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Wait, I just saw a SY '95 993 C2 with a 4S emblem for sale at Hershey this past Saturday. Magdaddy and Curve Lover were with me. The guy selling it said that it was his car, he's had it for a while, and he was selling it because he just bought another car.

I just checked on Ebay and sure enough it's the same car. So it's obviously being sold by a flipper. Nothing wrong with that but I don't like being fed bull**** stories. Lame.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
I then called the seller who said he had just made a deal w/ Victory Motors for $26,100. So I called Victory Motors and explained that I was interested in the car. They told me they would sell it to me for $35,500.
A pretty hefty profit for basically doing SFA. If I ever buy a car from those types of outfits, I have to remember to do them a favor and take 20% off.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Wait, I just saw a SY '95 993 C2 with a 4S emblem for sale at Hershey this past Saturday. Magdaddy and Curve Lover were with me. The guy selling it said that it was his car, he's had it for a while, and he was selling it because he just bought another car.

I just checked on Ebay and sure enough it's the same car. So it's obviously being sold by a flipper. Nothing wrong with that but I don't like being fed bull**** stories. Lame.
Same story was fed to me via pm when the "owner/dealer" read my "beginning search" post. Told him yellow was not one of the colors I was looking for.

At the end of the day I have no problem with dealers making money buying and selling cars but I would appreciate just a little bit of honesty along the way.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, what's the owner/dealer's screen name?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar experience with an E30 cab..missed it by an hour or two. Then 12 hours later I saw it on craigslist for about 60% more than he had bought it for. Was interesting to call and get his story...and then be like, "Actually if I am not mistaken, going by the license plates in the pictures and the previous seller's ad that hasn't been removed yet, you bought it from a young man named Spencer last night for $X,XXX.." Wished I could have seen the guy's face!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
Oh yeah, what's the owner/dealer's screen name?
owner/dealer screen name is cor2nir
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Dr. Vader
Instructor

Not Cool
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
william123
Instructor

Wow - I talked to that guy in Hershey as well. Man am I gullible:-(
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Man- that sucks. Fortunately I didn't experience this phenomenon when buying my 993, but I run into it all the time with the vintage BMX bikes I collect.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Cor2nir
Racer

I talked to several of you at Hershey it is my car and I did just purchase a 97 C4S with low mileage, haven't gotten the car yet. I did purchase this car out of VA and have close to $29k in it. I started with a very high asking price as you always get beat up and have to come down in price. I talked to another guy at Hershey with the 95 silver car and he wants $32k for a 90k mile similar car with blue interior. If it doesn't sell this time on ebay I will re-list it with a reserve around what I got into it.

Corey
Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Phew, that makes me feel a lot better!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 PM
cmd4
Pro

To the OP...know your frustration,in fact i Started a thread about the same experience that happened last week to me as well.Found a car was going to pull the trigger on....and yep cor2nir swooped in and bought it before i could get there.Then he has the nerve to pm and try to re-sell it to me.I talked to him last night on the phone for awhile to take the bait...gave me some bull**** line about his friend bought it,yada yada.he flat out lied.Corey IS ....full of ****.for a brief second i actually trusted all rennsters,guess there's scammers and dishonest people everywhere.Hate to be so crude,but his actions really disgusted me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's a Dirty Game