993 Forum 1995-1998

Shipping and "importing" to CA from another state

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Shipping and "importing" to CA from another state

This 993 popped up from Indiana and the seller and I talked most of the day today. We agreed on a principle and now I'm wondering about getting the car shipped from Indiana to CA.
Can someone with experience share some light on this, please?
Any good, trustworthy shipping companies you recommend? I'm told that Indiana doesn't have an emission test, so how would that work for CA?
Thanks so much in advance!!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Road trip!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I shipped and imported a car into CA. Can't remember who I used but do a search, there are a number of good shipping co's others have used. Cost me about $1100 IIRC from FL.

You are going to have to get an emissions test. No way around it as far as I know. And the CA taxes are killer too - calc'd based on purchase price that you disclose on the back of the title (so think hard before what you put down )

Originally Posted by skim
This 993 popped up from Indiana and the seller and I talked most of the day today. We agreed on a principle and now I'm wondering about getting the car shipped from Indiana to CA.
Can someone with experience share some light on this, please?
Any good, trustworthy shipping companies you recommend? I'm told that Indiana doesn't have an emission test, so how would that work for CA?
Thanks so much in advance!!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 AM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy, Fly and Drive. Simple as that. You might have to pay an nominal inviormental impact fee to the DMV but that is it. My car came from out of state and it was easy. It is only hard to bing a new car in that has less than 7,500 miles. California does not like that.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 AM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will have to have it smogged when you get it to california. You will also have to pay use tax on the purchase price, depending on the county of registration, you will be looking at around 7.75% plus or minus. I may behoove you to "reside" in Oregon, Wyoming, Arizona or some other state that does not have use tax on the sale of a used car. Register the car there and then after you "move" back to California, register the car here......you will likely have to insure the car in the state where you register it. I would not suggest that you commit fraud on the State of California. Not only is it dishonest, it may subject you to criminal consequences. It today's climate, the DMV is looking for every way to maximize its revenue. Good luck. Phil
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

thanks for the replies!

how about the DMV forms? anything the seller will need to fill out?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 AM
rutz36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my 993 from back east using a DMV one-way permit. Had it smogged and then went through the registering process. They inspected the car, checked the sticker in the engine compartment to make sure it was CA approved. (Apparently, 993s are 50-state cars so it all went very smoothly). Charged me an arm and a leg and gave me my plates. Quite easy!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 AM
rutz36
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the signed-off out of state registration. By the way, when I came across the country (January) I did not see one cop car until I hit CA on I-40.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:41 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that I can remember - all the seller has to do is sign the back of the title and/or a bill of sale. You then bring the title to the DMV (or if you have a AAA membership they now have a DMV desk that can handle vehicle registrations). The use tax is no joke, it is based on the purchase price so if give some thought as to what you put there. Echo sentiments on not committing fraud but you get the picture.

Originally Posted by skim
thanks for the replies!

how about the DMV forms? anything the seller will need to fill out?

Quick Reply: Shipping and "importing" to CA from another state