Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ETHANOL IN FUEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

With respect to the 10% Ethanol, not only are our vehicles adversely affected but lawn equipment as well. Just ask your friendly small engine and lawn mower repair shop. They're inundated with carbs gone South. Most will tell you to stop running 87 and use at least 91, preferably 93 Octane. I learned my lesson last year to the tune of about $150 on a Stihl weed-eater.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Call me crazy but I love ethanol. I run E85 in my supercharged Miata. After 2 race seasons the motor looked like it was never run. Completely clean without carbon deposits. Zero issues with running it. In fact the EGT's were in the 800-900 range. In a air cooled motor this means lower head temps etc.

The real problem with ethanol is the hydroscopic properties. It will pull moisture out of the air. In a closed fuel system like the 993 it's not as much as a issue as a lawnmover/dirt bike that has open fuel vents to pull moisture from.

The plastic gas tank is safe. The rubber fuel lines don't like the stuff but at 10% I would not worry.

I am planning to blend E85/91oct 50/50 for 98oct. Once I got through the fuel system and identify the weak points I will keep you guys posted.

For short stop and go driving E85 can cause problems because the oil has not come up to temp to burn off the fuel contamination from the warm up cycle.

It's not completely evil stuff. It does have it's merits. Knowing what to expect and how to handle it makes all the difference. Having been around for the leaded/unleaded change over I am not afraid of ethanol and embrace its performance advantages in a force induction application.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
Call me crazy but I love ethanol.
I am planning to blend E85/91oct 50/50 for 98oct..
Crazy!
Originally Posted by MarinS4
For short stop and go driving E85 can cause problems because the oil has not come up to temp to burn off the fuel contamination from the warm up cycle.
What do you mean by this?

Quick Reply: ETHANOL IN FUEL