Shifting Problems into 2nd, 4th and 6th

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,
The differential is open.

Who has the best prices on these parts right now? I know this is a tough question to answer because right now I don't know what I need, but I need to start thinking budget here.
Does anyone have a pdf version of the transmission repair/service manual they could e-mail me?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'd do:

Take off the tunnel covers underneath and double check your shifter, coupler, etc.
Drain the fluid and see if there are any bits in the fluid. My fluid was clean when I drained it.
Cost = 1 bottle of transmission fluid.

Then you have to make the decision whether to do it yourself or not.

Pull the transmission and take a look in the differential case, that was where all my needle bearings were. I was lucky none of them fell out of the diff case and didn't get into the gears. Otherwise it would have been expensive.

My transmission shop replaced my cross shaft with one they had in the shop, it fit perfectly. No more needle bearings.

Here's where it gets expensive, "while you're in there". Add LSD, replace clutch, slave, throw out bearing, pressure plate, etc.

Re-install transmission.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Chris,
The differential is open.

Who has the best prices on these parts right now? I know this is a tough question to answer because right now I don't know what I need, but I need to start thinking budget here.
Does anyone have a pdf version of the transmission repair/service manual they could e-mail me?

Thanks everyone!
Peter,
I have the factory manuals so if you need to borrow the tranny book, we can work out a time to meet up. Also, there is an online pdf of the manual somewhere...

If you are going to open her up, let me know, as I'd like to sit-in on the operation.

Keith
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Okay, fluid is all out. I filtered all of it, but did not find anything of any interest. There was a little bit of "fuzz" stuck to the magnet but no big chunks of metal or anything to indicate the internals are all busted up. I bought some cheap 75w-90 fluid. Tomorrow when it stops raining I am going to run the car on the engine stand to warm up the fluid a bit and so I can listen to the transmission from underneath for anything unusual. Then I will do a hot dump and see if anything else falls out.

Keith,
If the transmission has to come apart I will be sure to give you a call. I am still hoping, hoping, hoping that this can be resolved without tearing everything apart. Thanks again for the link to the manual.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Peter,
Sorry to hear. Do not discount the shift linkage. The stock setup, at this age, has quite a few bushings & such that can fail.

I have had more than one 993 in my garage where the shift linkage (forward rod) literally fell down once the tunnel cover came off.

A few years ago I replaced the shuttle bushings in the shift lever pivot mechanism, installed an RS shift rod, and created my own Heim-jointed forward rod.

Andreas
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Good luck on this Peter.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Okay, fluid is all out. I filtered all of it, but did not find anything of any interest. There was a little bit of "fuzz" stuck to the magnet but no big chunks of metal or anything to indicate the internals are all busted up. I bought some cheap 75w-90 fluid. Tomorrow when it stops raining I am going to run the car on the engine stand to warm up the fluid a bit and so I can listen to the transmission from underneath for anything unusual. Then I will do a hot dump and see if anything else falls out.
Doesn't it make more sense to inspect all your shift linkages/bushings first? Sounds at this point like it very well might not be the gearbox.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
tonypai
Racer

Originally Posted by NP993
Doesn't it make more sense to inspect all your shift linkages/bushings first? Sounds at this point like it very well might not be the gearbox.
I think he already did that.

I drained my fluid twice, never saw a thing. It wasn't until I cracked the differential case that all the needle bearings fell out.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
It's a common problem when /2x transmissions are used on track

they get hot and the plastic street bearing shells melt
look for these sort of pieces...
Originally Posted by chris walrod
Bill is correct, these issues are typically heat related. I've always had the mindset that additional gbx cooling is needed for these cars, especially when run longer than 20 minute track sessions.

Clean, fresh fluid is a must - need all of the heat exchange possible. Again, IMHO...
I haven't done any testing how much it helps or not but this is the reason I have my transmission cover removed.
I figured any extra air circulating under & around the tranny is a help.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
TravisB
Pro

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Sorry to hear of your plight. Doesn't sound good if the needle bearings are kaput.

This sorta concerns me. The mantra here is drive the car and drive it hard. Sounds like you were doing exactly that and not for that long. Was there too much stress placed on the transmission dropping from 4th to 2nd gear. Begs the question as to whether these engines/transmissions are as bulletproof as we like to think.

You aren't kidding. These threads, combined with my luck, really make me nervous about using the car like I intended to..I'll be watching this thread closely.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Sorry Peter, hope it's something simple. Here's a similar thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-6th-gear.html

Consensus seemed to be shift fork, but there was no final note on what was causing the trouble. Maybe PM Reuben.

onefstm (Jeremy) has a rebuilt /20 for sale for $4k. link: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...nsmission.html
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

No updates tonight. I had a job interview at HRE wheels and then I volunteered to drive my wife to UCSD so we could have dinner afterwards.
Tomorrow I will finally get to do my hot flush and see how she feels with fresh fluids.

What's odd is the feel does not feel like there is a mechanical blockage... if there was a bearing sitting behind the shift mechanism i would expect a more solid contact, this feels more like a scored shaft or something else. There is some give to it, but the shifter feels SOLID when it's in gear, like it's tight.

I said this two nights in a row now, but TOMORROW I should know more

Is there a way to tell if my "early" G50 is one of the lucky ones with the removable 2nd gear? I hate the 1-2 shift so if the trans is coming out that's on my to-do list.

Thanks again for all the support!
- Peter
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So are you telling me I had better get my order in for mufflers now and HRE wheels soon there after

Keep us informed .....
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
tonypai
Racer

Good luck with your repair.

Here's where the shifter sits in the transmission case. A needle bearing got stuck in there.

You can see the gouges where the bearing scored the shifter.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Steven,
Let me know if you need a muffler

I ran the car up on the stands this afternoon. I ran it through all of the gears and listened to the transmission with a stethoscope while it was in each gear running at idle. I brought the car up to about 100mph in 6th and nothing, no clunking, grinding or anything else that would be indicative of a bearing letting loose. I ran through all of the gears at around 4,000 rpm as well, shifting from one gear to the next. The only thing out of place is the tightness going into and out of all the gears requiring you to pull down on the shift.... t's better than it was at the track but it still feels unusually tight.
After getting all the fluids nice and warm I dumped the trans fluid. It was Perfectly clean.

SO, long story short I am going to fill 'er back up this weekend and drive her until either the clutch goes out or something explodes. Now where the heck do I get Delvac 75w-90 in NC San Diego?

Quick Reply: Shifting Problems into 2nd, 4th and 6th