Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

wow...scam alert on autotrader!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,410 Likes on 2,687 Posts
Default wow...scam alert on autotrader!

i've been looking on autotrader and cars.com the past week for a P-car and came upon an ad on autotrader for a 2004 GT-3 for $23,500.

wm:
i asumed it was BS but i took the bait and emailed. *i googled the email address and there are a host of fraud alerts on this person...i noticed several other ads within the autotrader website from this person...check out the string of emails. can't believe people have taken the bait w/o looking at a car...one guy lost $31K...*start at the bottom and scroll up:

hey after some research on the internet i reported you to the seattle FBI internet division.

--- On Sat, 1/28/12, Julie D. Garver <julie.d.garver48@msn.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
To: cerialephotography@yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 3:02 PM

William,

Here is the vin WP0AC29964S692543

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:12:57 -0800
To: julie.d.garver48@msn.com
CC: cerialephotography@yahoo.com

juilie...this sounds good...please send me the vin# so i can check the carfax history on the car. is everything working properly on the porsche GT-3??

william

Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 2:08 PM

Hello William,
First please let me explain you the process of this sale and afterwards you can decide if you want to go with it or not.
As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Topeka KS for a new start. I'm in the city but my presence won't be necessary as I prearranged the deal with PayPal. The car is also in Topeka at the shipping yard, ready to be delivered. You benefit of free delivery, having it delivered at your address in less than 5 working days. Afterwards you will have 5 days to test and inspect the car prior to make any purchase. If by any reason you find something you don't like about it, you can send it back at my expense. If you are settled in buying it I will need the following details from you: full name, address, and phone#.
Once I have your info I am going to forward it to PayPal to get things started. After that PayPal will contact you with all the information that you need in order to buy it. This will be your proof that I am a covered and legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.
Regards

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:05:56 -0800
Subject: Re: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
To: julie.d.garver48@msn.com
CC: cerialephotography@yahoo.com

please send a phone number so i can discuss the car.

thanks,
william

Subject: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3
Date: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 1:53 PM

Hello William,
I appreciate your interest in buying my car. The Porsche is in perfect shape, never been smoked in, without scratches nor dents, and it has never been involved in any kind of accidents. I legally own a clear title, free of any liens or loans,under my name. It has 36,127 miles, for sale at $23,500. The price is below the market as I recently divorced and I don't own a driver's license, therefore I don't need it, so I'm trying to sell it as soon as possible. If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask.

wm:
i am very interested in your car...i am a private individual not a dealer...can you pleae call me or email your phone number...thanks, william
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell him you just inherited $1M from your Nigerian uncle and you just need $5,000 to access the money. You'd buy the car straightaway, but you just lost your job and your unemployment benefits have not kicked in...
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Wouldn't the fact that the seller could take that car to Carmax and easily get double the asking price cause someone to be just a little bit suspicious?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classic scam for years. I've been coming across a bunch of them on cars.com recently. No contact phone number in the ad, only contact is by email, and prices way too good to be true.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HerrDoktor
Tell him you just inherited $1M from your Nigerian uncle and you just need $5,000 to access the money. You'd buy the car straightaway, but you just lost your job and your unemployment benefits have not kicked in...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there does appear to be a Julie D. Garver in Topeka, Kansas - so she's not making that part up: https://www.facebook.com/search/resu...er&init=public
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

That's the same e mails she or he send me when they had a 96 targa with 25k miles for $26k, I guess it works cause they dont changed it a BIT,,
Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

I saw that ad for the 04 GT3 too when I had a hankering to shop for a GT3 the other day (just looking guys, can't really afford one).

It was priced so much less than the other ones that were listed that it absolutely had to be a scam. There was no doubt whatsoever in my mind. That anyone would fall prey to something so obviously shady is amazing to me.

There are a ton of these low priced ads all over the internet though. Was also looking for a 2007 MB E63 and the same thing was there. Super low priced cars, a couple of them by private sellers that it was Red Flag City.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
I am not racist, but I have worked with a lot of Asians and these emails have been written by an Asian, This is the typical grammar.
I wonder what country this person is in…
Again this this is not a racist comment just an observation of where the bogas sale could of come from

Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

This has same scam has become so common on cars.com that when you search search for a "high end" vehicle the 4 of 5 lowest priced vehicles will all be way under market value, no license plate showing, usually a female sellers name, typically first name only, and often multiple listings using the same photos.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC

Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi
I am not racist, but I have worked with a lot of Asians and these emails have been written by an Asian, This is the typical grammar.
I wonder what country this person is in…
Again this this is not a racist comment just an observation of where the bogas sale could of come from

Thanks
You are mistaken my Friend.

90% of these are out of 3rd world countries but mostly Africa and India.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

If these guys played their cards right, they may do better with their scamming by not asking for 10k-20K below market price for their cars!

You ask $12500 for a 95 993 and no one with a brain will respond because they'll know it's a scam. You ask $27500 and you'll get a ton of people interested.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
andrewlunka
Instructor

I came across the same sort of story with a 993 turbo on Kijiji Toronto. The owner said the car was located in a sealed container and needed the funds first before the car would be shipped. Then I would have 7 days for inspection. More like time to run away with my money. Here is what he said (look at all the spelling errors):

Jeffrey W. Conley

As I said the car is in Galt CA but because I wok at the Canadian Embassy I hav just been transfered and currently work in Iran, Teheran.Right now the car is at the DAS (trucking company) warehouse kept in a sealed container ready for delivery and since I am not at home right now a test drive is not possible. However I do offer a 5 days inspection period prior to buying the car if we close the deal trough ebay motors vehicle purchase protection program.
The car will be insured during transportation and it will be delivered at your address in maximum 3 business days (depends of your location) a long with car you will receive a bill of sale in your name signed by me and the clear title of the car.

I will contat ebay and they will get back to you to guide you through all the steps of the transaction they will offer insurance that the car is as described has a clear title also they will send a copy of the contract.

Me:
I would like to come down and take a look at the car & book an
inspection before we would go any further. Is there I time I could
come down to look at the car?

Jeffrey W. Conley
Sorry for the late response ;something came up and I had to leave urgently. The 1996 Porsche 911 993 has only 83025 miles (car was advertised with 28K miles) , it is located in Galt CA, it has never been involved in any kind of accident , both the interior and the exterior are in excellent condition and the engine runs as new.
If you need to make a loan I can provide a copy of the title also you should know that the car will be delivered with the title and all the other papers that you will need. I have made the arrangements to ship the car. The trucking company will not refund me but I can have the car shipped anywhere within continental US and Canada, as I've left it at their warehouse so it's ready to ship at anytime.

As a security measure we will be using a purchase protection program from eBay to do this purchase. This program guarantees that the car is exactly as I described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it at your home and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs but trust me you will love it.
If you want to talk I can leave a pone number. Also I can send you more pictures.
Almost forgot ,I can alo send you a copy of the carfax report if needed.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

lol - the irony that the spam post above appears in this thread.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, caoshuchengni, say hello to Rennlist's wow boot.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wow...scam alert on autotrader!