993 Forum 1995-1998

rubber baby bumper (strip)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:19 AM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rubber baby bumper (strip)

re-installing front bumper with new rubberstrips, just checked out Robins diy, my Q is what are the two metal pins per rubber strip included for? what is their purpose? And does a regular stapler work? tia, e
Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good timing on this question. One suggestion I read was to use Pliobond and avoid the staples. Any tips on aligning the rubberstrip with the edge of the bumper?

Dave
Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did mine and didn't use staples.

Just little drops of "superglue' worked fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:53 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Riviera:
Those aluminum pins shove in the end of the fender beading and allow you to "shape" the ends of the beading where it terminates in the trunk and around the edges of the LH and RH fenders. Otherwise the beading would just "flop" around since it is not stiff on its own. I can take some photos of how these ends terminate if you'd like and email them to you.

Dave:
FF is right, bag the staples. I used 3M Black Weatherstrip adhesive, but Pliobond would work as well or better. The problem with Pliobond is that it is yellow and a less than perfect application will show adhesive that is very tough to remove. The black 3M product can show a bit and you'd never see it.

Using adhesive to attach the beading you need the following items:

- Adhesive of choice
- A bunch of those binder clips that you use in the office - those black spring clips with the two "handles". I used two or three of the different smaller sizes.
- A handful of wooden coffee stir sticks.

What I did was lay the beading out on the bumper surface and glue it a small section (2" to 3") at a time. I cut pieces of stir stick to position under the binder clip (the clamp). The stir stick piece helped distribute the clamping force of the binder clip - otherwise the binder clip squeezes the beading too much. If you follow this procedure, take your time and allow the whole install to cure overnight, you will have a very professional looking job. Make sure to position the rounded edge of the beading "proud" on the flat surface so the rounded edge hangs over the bumper lip. This will help make sure you have the right look when you mount the bumper cover to the fender.

Last edited by mike cap; 02-17-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Guys,

An afterthought as well - if you have the bumper cover off or are installing a new TT bumper cover, remove and discard the "chin" spoiler at the very bottom of the bumper cover. If you're going to lower the car or ever install a FPB, this gives a nice slot so the FPB is recessed into the area where the chin spoiler was. Gert told me about this trick last year when I lowered the car and changed the front bumper cover to TT style.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

FF - Yeah, no staples.
Thanks a lot Mike, I willbegin to collect "office supplies" in preparation for this DIY.

Dave
Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 PM
riviera 93
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks, figured it out! e

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mike, would you be interested in posting your pics for all to see. i'm also getting ready to mount my tt cover. thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Dave:
I know you're going to pay for those binder clips and extra wooden stir-sticks from Starbucks.... The long wooden stir-sticks from Starbucks are also handy or cleaning those nooks and crannies - wrap a piece of microfiber towel on the end.

Faster:
I'm sorry, I didn't take any photos when I did the TT bumper change-over. Email me if you have specific questions and I will help. I can give you my phone number as well. My finished product is here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/118985-winter-project-photos.html
Old 02-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, That is one beautiful car.

Dave
Old 04-26-2015, 04:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
Guys,

An afterthought as well - if you have the bumper cover off or are installing a new TT bumper cover, remove and discard the "chin" spoiler at the very bottom of the bumper cover. If you're going to lower the car or ever install a FPB, this gives a nice slot so the FPB is recessed into the area where the chin spoiler was. Gert told me about this trick last year when I lowered the car and changed the front bumper cover to TT style.
can I ask for an explanation here please .. FPB?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FPB....Front Protection Bar.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:38 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Mike

Quick Reply: rubber baby bumper (strip)