Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Last efforts before calling the hook...'95 C2, won't start after engine R&R.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Travis, on the front of the distribut there is a plug, I believe it sends a cyl signal for the dme to figure knock sensing. Not sure if it will run removed or not.
Car will run without it. Without the Hall sensor (that's what it's called), the engine will retard timing on all 6 cyl instead of the one detecting knock.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
My wife asks this on a weekly basis.

Andreas
You are lucky my friend and ahead of me, my wife says "Get a brain!!"
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Travis,

In lieu of a timing light to check each wire, I recall a clip-on tool I saw at ..Autozone maybe? relatively cheap, like $12 bucks. Flashes a signal when there is a spark.

Edit: found it, $8.00, autozone part #25045
The reason I asked for a light is to double check the spark is at the right time, i.e happens with the correct marker on the pulley. If you read the long threads, I suggested to Travis to mark each of the three marks with a different color, and then go to each piston and make sure it fires on the right time. this checks the sensors, distributor, lines, ecu, etc. Its easier with a timing light to see if the marker is hit on the pulley.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

wait... we haven't done that yet? if not, I'll bet a case of Schlitz that is the problem
Old 01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Its easier with a timing light to see if the marker is hit on the pulley.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, I'm used to seeing a couple of marks on a pulley...back in the old days. A TDC mark, a timing mark and an advance mark.

What mark is on our pulleys and if it is TDC, would it spark there? It usually would a few degrees BTDC.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
wait... we haven't done that yet? if not, I'll bet a case of Schlitz that is the problem

I have no reason to believe it is (#1 is firing exactly as it should, distributor was never removed, I've checked the wires about 20 times now, I've got pics showing that, at the bare minimum, 1-3 are wired exactly as they were before it was removed, etc), but if that really is the problem, I will just go ahead and ban myself! After the Schlitz, of course..
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TravisB
I have no reason to believe it is (#1 is firing exactly as it should, distributor was never removed, I've checked the wires about 20 times now, I've got pics showing that, at the bare minimum, 1-3 are wired exactly as they were before it was removed, etc), but if that really is the problem, I will just go ahead and ban myself! After the Schlitz, of course..
I did go back and watch your video, but refuse to drag through the whole other thread... sorry...

What is not mentioned here (maybe in the other thread).... From the video you can hear a cyl or 2 firing, and see puffs of smoke, so its firing.... its gotta GOTTA be timing...

Probably redundant, but Ill type it anyway.. disconnect the secondary coil (so only one is firing to keep it simple) then check each each cyl with a timing light..... I will send you a case of Schlitz if they all fire correctly.... Well I cant actually send beer across the border but if you are ever in Charlotte I'll buy a round...

edit: its important to disconnect the second coil... the problem could be the secondary ignition circuit. Since its not needed to start the car, remove it from the equation temporarily.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really hate to see this continuing, but I'll got back to square one and suggest something that HAS brought resolution in the past. Or rather resignation. It makes no sense, as unless I missed something along the way, this engine was not touched in the cam timing area. BUT you plug in a compression tester and see where the needle bounces in relation to firing. In other words, when you're coming up on TDC #1, you'd better see that compression needle move. Once you know absolutely, positively compression is: 1. there, 2. happening at the right time, it's all downhill. May not seem like it, but it all flows from internal engine health.

Really hate to see this happen. As jammed as I am for time, if I were anywhere within reasonable driving distance I'd come over. Or haul the car over here. But the car would have to compete for affection with a bunch of vending machines encroaching on car space.............
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rebuilt injectors?

Did you have your injectors rebuilt during the flywheel changeout?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

First off hang in there buddy. I have been more turned around on far easier jobs. I can not think of anything other than the Injectors, unless quoting slingblade - "Ders no gas in it"
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Travis,

Upon engine removal, did you do any wiring cleanups? Any extra wires in the dash area? Just another WAG, any old alarm systems that were bypassed and you removed those wires. Any extra wires to the coils or amplifier in engine compartment? Anything in front trunk/fuse box?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
TravisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a clue! GC96 dropped by to give me a hand again tonight, and he brought some toys like a timing light and a compression tester.

Up first was the timing: Everything is gravy, verified by the light and I also pulled the caps and turned the engine over by hand.

Second was the compression test. Hoping for a bad gauge, we tested 1-3 several times, and then went out to his car which tested at around 150 PSI.

#1: 0 PSI
#2: 35 PSI
#3: 25 PSI

#4: 0 PSI
#5: 95 PSI
#6: 85 PSI

Now about those Schlitzeses...

Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Now the question is why.

Can't believe all those valves are sticking open. SO that leaves it can't suck in because something is blocking the intake passages?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Time to remove the intake manifold?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

WTF ???? Ken called it... but how the hell did that happen?

Ill step up to bud for this one :-) ...

Hopefully its something simple, but I cant imagine what...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Last efforts before calling the hook...'95 C2, won't start after engine R&R.