993 Forum 1995-1998

refinishing chrome hollow spoke turbo twists

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:31 PM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refinishing chrome hollow spoke turbo twists

I was wondering what the cost would be to refinish a set of chrome turbo twists back to the factory painted look. Is this a possible, 'do it your self job'? or needed to be done by a professional? I was reading the threads on refinishing, and many people said it was easy to do it your self, but does this apply when the wheels are chromed?

thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It can be a DIY project.
The key is to get the chrome surface properly prepared before applying a new finish.
First use a abrasive to sand to the chrome finish and then apply an etching primer.
Final step is to spray a quality paint finish and then apply a UV protective clear coat.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it all depends on the actual wheels you have. So many people think they have chrome wheels and they aren't, they are just polished. Porsche sold "high polish" (Hochglanz) wheels - I know, I had a set. These aren't chromed at all, and I would expect would be very easy to prepare and paint / clear. Photos of your wheels, part numbers, etc. would help.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I found this response on a metals forum:

Mag wheels and aluminum alloy wheels are very different things. Pressure cast aluminum alloy wheels are utterly different than rims machined from billet aluminum. The answer also depends on what you expect to do with the wheels after removing the chrome. Are you preparing them for replating with nickel-chrome? Are you trying to leave the nickel plating on them? Are you trying to prepare them for powder coating? Are you trying to mirror polish the billet wheels and leave them as polished aluminum? Do you need to remove the chrome only minimally because you don't like it, although it's adhering fine, or is the chrome a peeling flaky mess that must be completely removed, not built upon? People have different ideas; some think that sandblasting is best, some think that chemical stripping is best --it may depend on how much training you've had with toxic chemicals, what kind of personal protective equipment you have, and whether you already have a sandblast cabinet. Not offering that kind of info while asking for "the right way" is like asking whether you should buy a Porsche or a Kenworth without giving us any other info :-)

Powder coaters have told me of their success with a light sandblast that removes the chrome and etches the nickel. It's a fine answer, but not if heavy layers of nickel are peeling. In that case you must chemically remove the nickel and you can't do that yourself, you have to take them to a plating shop because you cannot dissolve nickel into any chemical commonly available to consumers. Oven cleaner may be useful for removing anodizing but not nickel plating.

Andreas
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

There are no factory chrome wheels. All factory Porsche wheels are polished. However, you can chrome anything, it may be aftermarket chroming.

If it is a polished wheel, all you need to do is scuff it up & paint.

Quick Reply: refinishing chrome hollow spoke turbo twists