993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear Spoiler Won’t Deploy Automatically

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
lane_a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Won’t Deploy Automatically

My '96 C2 rear spoiler auto deployment stopped working a couple of weeks ago. The Spoiler will deploy manually thru the switch on the console, but not automatically. Therefore, the spoiler warning light never goes out. Also, at the same time, the cruise control stopped working.

The first thing I checked were the two fuses feeding power to the spoiler control box (fuses # 17 & #37). They were good. Next, from checking the electrical wiring diagrams, the only commonality I’ve found between the rear spoiler and the cruise control is that they share a speed signal from the DME. I have checked and found continuity in the speed sensor wire between both of the spoiler and cruise control boxes and with the speedometer which also receives the same speed signal. Therefore, it appears that the speed signal is getting to the control boxes ok since the speedometer works fine.

The simple answer may be that the spoiler control box has malfunctioned, but I don’t see how this would affect the cruise control. Anyway, I’m stumped. Does anyone have any ideas or had anything similar? I’ve done search both here on Rennlist and pcardiy but haven’t found anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the cost on Pelican for the spoiler control box is over $300 and the cruise control box is over $600, so I'm reluctant just to start swapping out these units.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Sounds like it might be a speed sensor that is not reading/sending info to the spoiler control box or cruise control.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Won’t Deploy Automatically