Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

At what speed should the rear spoiler rise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

RUF still makes a module that raises the spoiler at 70+ mph. I tried to organize a group buy for it last year.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
^^^The spoiler will remain up if it is manually put up initially, which will prevent it from going up and down in stop-and-go city or highway traffic.
Not entirely correct. Once raised manually, the spoiler will remain up for the duration of that drive. The next time you start and drive the car, if you go over 50mph, the spoiler will then go down automatically when you go below 8mph.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

The spoiler control module needs to operate on two conditions; speed and time.

Instead of retracting because I have dropped below the "retraction speed", it should only do so based on a time period...say 3 minutes after, or whatever.

If I come to a stop at crossroads on a country road, its plain dumb for the spoiler to retract.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
If I come to a stop at crossroads on a country road, its plain dumb for the spoiler to retract.
Equally dumb for it to deploy if I hit 50 mph for only a couple of seconds before slowing back down.

Where I live, most of the roads around me have a 45 mph speed limit, which means I usually drive in the 50-55 range, just fast enough for the spoiler to be going up and down frequently as I drive around town. It looks silly, and causes needless wear and tear on the motor and mechanisms. Converting to manual-only operation is a GREAT mod!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Equally dumb for it to deploy if I hit 50 mph for only a couple of seconds before slowing back down.
That is why I mentioned the spoiler control should have a timer; additionally, make it user adjustable.

It doesn't go down because you are at a stop or lengthy red light and it doesn't go up unless you are above 50 mph for a sustained period.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 AM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the mod today and had some minor drama when the other pins popped free. Two of the pins touched and blew my #37 fuse (15W). After reassembling the switch and replacing the fuse, the manual spoiler activation worked perfectly.

Recommendation - if you are doing this mod, remove the #37 fuse before you disassemble the plug.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
I have just completed the “manual only” spoiler operation mod on my ‘96 and figured I would share my experience while it’s still fresh.

The spoiler control module is under the passenger side dash behind the left side of the glove compartment. It’s easily accessible when you look under the dash. I tried to remove the connector from the module but couldn’t get it out. I didn’t want to force anything so I removed the single screw that holds the module in place. I now could pull it down and get a better look. It turns out that the connector does simply pull out but it’s a snug fit.

The back cover of the connector will snap off with a bit of force. This cover is what holds all the individual contacts in place. Now you can easily slide out the #8 pin (green) and #12 pin (wht/red). Take care to hold the other pins in place while you do this. They come out of their locations very easily. This is where Murphy’s Law can easily kick in.

Make sure the remaining contacts are properly seated and snap the cover back on. I wrapped electrical tape around the 2 exposed contacts, folded the 2 wires back along the harness and used a cable tie to secure them. Plug in the connector and reattach the module.

I didn’t disconnect the battery as someone suggested but I probably should have. I don’t know if any of the connections are live with the car off but the possibility of something shorting accidentally is definitely there.

As advertised, I now have only manual spoiler operation via the rocker switch and I am a happy camper. The list of worthwhile Porsche mods that are free is short and this is a good one. Thanks to those who did the homework to figure this out.
Just did this mod, everything went smoothly...I went to test it out. Reconnected the
battery, started the car and tried the button first. I deployed the wing, and then
tried to retract it; but it's stuck open!!!.. I opened and closed the module a few times
to see if maybe the pins aren't seating properly..but it's hard to tell/see if they are...

Any ideas? I haven't yet reversed it to see if it's a connection issue in the module. I
also opened up the spoiler mechanism on the engine lid and there wasn't anything
blocking or impeding the drive gears...hmmm
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM
cmat
Racer

Do you know for sure that the manual switch operation was ok before the mod? If it was, then it was probably something you did during the mod. I would pull down the connector from the module and take a close look to see that all the remaining pins are in their correct location. Disconnect the battery to avoid possible accidental shorting damage.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it was definitely working. For sure. No warning light before. I'll reverse the mod and see if everything is ok..if not,
I'll trouble shoot it further! I bet it's connection related.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Did the mod in a few minutes. Put in a new spolier wall and dont want it to break right away like the first one. Now I just need to remember to raise it at higher speeds. Additionally I put in a new bearing. Wow was the old one rusted and barely spinning. Cleaned everything and greased it up. Its now smooth just loud from the motor. Thank you!!! Love rennlist
Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 AM
DanL993
button queen

Originally Posted by ftlaud911
Did the mod in a few minutes. Put in a new spolier wall and dont want it to break right away like the first one. Now I just need to remember to raise it at higher speeds. Additionally I put in a new bearing. Wow was the old one rusted and barely spinning. Cleaned everything and greased it up. Its now smooth just loud from the motor. Thank you!!! Love rennlist
Again, I'll note that I have had NO stability issues with the spoiler down as fast as 110 mph, and have never heard of anyone experiencing any either. As well, I've never had any cooling issues, and have heard of none. Finally I'll restate that the question of the need for that spoiler has been asked on this forum more than once and no rational, scientific explanation has been proffered. I have my own "theory" but it's never been substantiated.

So keep it down if you want. IMHO the car looks FAR better without that "cafeteria tray" out flapping in the breeze and no more worries about spoiler walls or bearings!!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:31 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Again, I'll note that I have had NO stability issues with the spoiler down as fast as 110 mph, and have never heard of anyone experiencing any either. As well, I've never had any cooling issues, and have heard of none. Finally I'll restate that the question of the need for that spoiler has been asked on this forum more than once and no rational, scientific explanation has been proffered. I have my own "theory" but it's never been substantiated.

So keep it down if you want. IMHO the car looks FAR better without that "cafeteria tray" out flapping in the breeze and no more worries about spoiler walls or bearings!!
what he said...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

I modded mine so it only goes up when I push the button.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:14 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
I modded mine so it only goes up when I push the button.
Same Here...
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akrca4
Same Here...
I followed the directions and did it today

Quick Reply: At what speed should the rear spoiler rise?