993 Forum 1995-1998

Motive Products Power Bleeder - Modified for Dry Method Use

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
The couplers are open. How does this keep the thing pressurized? The couplers are not designed to hold air pressure.
They are IF you bought quick-disconnect couplers that are of the sealing type.

Originally Posted by 77'3.6vram
I bought the parts but do not understand what the improvement is.Please explain in a way a stupid person can understand.
For starters, none of this matters if you don't care to use the dry method. I personally don't want to spend my time ultra-cleaning my Power Bleeder after I am done with it, so I choose to use the dry method.

To prevent having to pump up the Power Bleeder each time you remove the cap at the hydraulic reservoir to refill it, the CPC quick-disconnect coupler with valve is placed within 6 inches of the cap. This maintains as much of the pressurized volume as possible.

I also used a quick-disconnect coupler with valve on the hose attached to the cap just so that I can release the pressure slowly. Not a must-do though.

Here is a valved coupler. Notice the part that protrudes beyond the coupler body in the upper right of the pic past the O-ring. You would press against that part with your thumb if you wanted to release the pressure.

It looks like you ordered the wrong parts or the supplier gave you the wrong parts. The part number needs that "D" in it for the coupler to be valved. I have those part numbers listed in my initial post.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Good to know since I'll be using my Motive Products Power Bleeder in a few weeks.

The last time I used it, I had to pump it up after every refilling of the hydraulic reservoir.
Yes, repumping after each fill would be a bummer. After using the CPC parts set-up you detailed, I only had to pump the Motive Power Bleeder a couple times between fills and really probably didn't need to do that......was losing only 1psi or so between fills. At first I was worried I would need an additional clamp to ensure everything held pressure tight, but it was not an issue.

To do the whole system from dry I probably refilled the brake fluid 4 or 5 times using the dry method. It saved a bunch of time and pumping effort using the CPC parts and I don't beleive I spilled a drop of fluid anywhere......very clean.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mts
It saved a bunch of time and pumping effort using the CPC parts and I don't believe I spilled a drop of fluid anywhere......very clean.
Same experience here since I used it to bleed the clutch and brake circuits this week.

BTW, clutch action is as silent as a mouse now that a new clutch master and slave cylinder have been installed.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, this is brilliant! I use the dry method, and I already have the Oetiker pliers. Looks like I will be ordering some valves!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul902
Looks like I will be ordering some valves!
I got my CPC valves from Controls for Automation in Taunton, MA.

The Oetiker stepless ear clamps were sourced locally at Fastenal.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

valves ordered. This is the perfect opportunity to remove that heavy brass inline coupler on the original hose that i covered in tape so that it would not damage the paint work.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I did a similar thing by putting a schrader (tire stem) valve on a spare reservoir cap. A couple of pumps with a hand bike tire pump pressurizes the reservoir. You do have to re-pump when you open the cap to add more fluid, but parts were laying around the house.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Great article, Alex. I always enjoy your technical writing and pictures.

I'm doing the modification on my Motive Power brake bleeder now. FYI, it appears that the original tubing is about 0.3mm smaller ID than the 5/16 ID tubing from Lowe's. Motive Power has the original tubing available for 75 cents per foot.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
FYI, it appears that the original tubing is about 0.3mm smaller ID than the 5/16 ID tubing from Lowe's. Motive Power has the original tubing available for 75 cents per foot.
Bobby, initially I used the same tubing that you also used from a local home build-it center. Its a vinyl tubing that is harder and as a result does not conform to the barbs on the Power Bleeder spigot, which isn't a great mold in the first place. It leaked there, even with a Oetiker clamp.

I contacted the owner of Motive Products and he got back to me with the type of tubing they use as well as the supplier. See post #21, one page back. My Power Bleeder is air-tight now.

BTW, the pics on my site still show vinyl hose without clamps being used. I now have the correct hose and an Oetiker clamp at each joint.

Nifty little tool, eh!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, Alex, I use my bleeder on two of my cars, so only once a year on average, but it is nice to have it.

I also ordered some Oetiker clamps and a crimping tool.

Best always,
Bob
Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Just ordered these:

https://www.coleparmer.ca/i/cpc-cold...36083?pubid=UZ

https://www.coleparmer.ca/i/cpc-cold...36067?pubid=UZ
Old 10-15-2020, 05:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I came across Cole Palmer a few months ago. I ended up placing an order at Amazon.ca to get the items from them and ended up with free shipping.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:24 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Can you post the links? I just did a search on Amazon and didn't find anything...
Old 10-15-2020, 05:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Can you post the links? I just did a search on Amazon and didn't find anything...
I ordered a "CPC (Colder) PLCD22004" (one hose size smaller) and it came up on Amazon.ca with a Cole Palmer vendor. It was CA$16.05 (a tad more expensive) but shipping was free as I placed a $35 dollar order for other Amazon.ca items.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:56 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

Could this work?
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Motive Products Power Bleeder - Modified for Dry Method Use