993 Forum 1995-1998

New Guy looking to dip his toe into the 993 side of the pool

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Guy looking to dip his toe into the 993 side of the pool

I've always loved the 911 and the more I am around them the more I am drawn to what they don't make any more, particularly the last of the air cooled models--993. To that end, can any one give me some insight as to what I can expect in the way of maintenance and repairs on a 993 and what if anything I should stay away from?

Specifically, should I prepare myself for certain maintenance bills at various mileage levels (e.g. timing belt tensioning @ 30k, etc...) even if the car has good records and seems to have been well cared for? I am not looking for a rehab but a 993 that is as close to stock as possible with < 50,000 miles which will then be well taken care of going forward. The car will be maintained and driven in the US as an occasional DD on good weather days only and low impact excursions. I already have a track toy but sooner or later the air cooled flat 6 will have to be allowed to stretch its legs a bit in a DE.....or two .

Any insight on pricing, valuation levels, etc...is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
National PCA DE Instructor
Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few searches should turn up a wealth of information on these cars. These cars are getting to be 16 years old now, so it is all about condition and how well they have been maintained. They are generally very reliable, low maintenance cars if well taken care of. Eventually they will need a top end rebuild to address worn valve guides and clogged SAI ports. SAI is not an issue with 1995 cars because they do not have OBD2 and therefore don't throw a CEL if the ports are clogged. Others can chime in on pricing etc. Some people prefer 95s becuase of the OBD1, some like the 98s because they were the last year. You may want a C4S with AWD, big brakes and wider rear fenders.

Start reading and looking around and you'll get an idea of what is out there.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try an advanced search on my RonCT name over say the last 12 months here and in 997 / DE and you will find some interesting information on my "retro move" to 993. I too am a PCA instructor and have enjoyed more than a few 911s over the years (and a 987 Boxster S too). I just traded a 997.2 C2S w/ SPASM for a pristine 1997 C2S with 17k miles. I didn't even think about service costs and I think if that's a big consideration, any Porsche is probably a bad move. What I wanted was one of the last air-cooled "classic" Porsches. I really did have a hard time deciding between a 96+ C2 and a 97-98 C2S. I came extremely close to a 96 Arena Red on Black C2 with 30k miles, but could not get the logistics to work out. Of the 12 or so cars that were on my list over the last 3 months of intense looking, there really were only 2 or 3 that were finalists. PM me if you are interested in more info. My criteria were: Must prove out to be 100% condition, wanted 30k or fewer miles, but would take up to 40k, and be rationally priced.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

There are no internal components of the 993 engine on the maintenance schedule. It's possible to go from 50K - 150K with only oil and filter changes to keep the engine running (incl air filters). Spark plugs once in a while also could help.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm no expert, but it feels like the 15k service my car just received at $650 at a Porsche dealer is a great value. That included not only the normally suggested items, but also both oil filters and air filter and brake flush (those filters not suggested until 30k - but the shop changed them due to age). I know 30k is more because of plugs.

Attached is the 993 service chart. The Porsche dealership that just did PPI and 15k service for my car used this very form.
Attached Images
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 100% stock example with 44,000 miles from Holt Motorsports a few years ago. I like having the OBD1 with my '95 along with no immobilizer. It has been a complete joy so far with very little but scheduled maintenance needed. A few issues but minor and inexpensive. My big thing that I'm saving up for now is the 60,000 miles service which my indy mechanic said would be around $1,600. Get a good (documented maintenance) example and you should be good to go for years and years. Don't be scared by the top end re-build talk. Many, many owners have well over 100k miles with no top end re-build. Expect to pay in the mid to high $30,000 range ($34,000+) for a stock low mileage C2 993. Best of luck to you!!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Thank you everyone for all of the input I sincerely appreciate it (RonCT I will PM). I will follow all of this good advice and hopefully this thread will continue to get some attention and additional input. If/when I make a move I will happily update everyone with pictures and hopefully a nice story. Afterwards, everyone can tell me how badly I over paid Just kidding, time to start doing some research.......
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine for 2 years. (bought with 46 k now have 64k). I have spent some money on brakes, and a new clutch...but overall it has been reliable and alot of car for the $. Still, it is an old Porsche and you will pay some hard earned dollars every now and then.

As stated, a good record of maintainence can make a big difference but the valve guides and SAI may catch up to you.

Bottom line? If you love the car (and you will if you drive one) than buy it. Make sure to keep a fix it fund if you can. Good luck and let us know how it's going.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Did anyone mention getting a PPI? But you already knew that, right?

Best of lluck on your search! Oh yeah and once you get it post pictures!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

^

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I am taking all of this into consideration.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

This post is an example of why this place is so great. Great input from all responders. Good Luck cb!

chuck

Quick Reply: New Guy looking to dip his toe into the 993 side of the pool