993 Forum 1995-1998

New project for me, yet another 993 RS Clone for you :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Prepping for RS carpet.

What a mess the glue under the original carpet is. I am using 3M adhesive remover, but any suggestions? The 3M stuff takes a lot of fluid and the smell is killing me.

The amount of padding is amazing. A layer of carpet, then a layer of cardboard like material then foam padding. The side upholstery had think foam under it. I am surprised my USA Cup was not all that noisy with nothing but carpet over the sheet metal and no foam or cardboard.

The black stuff on the rear bulkhead was added by a stereo installer in the past and has been removed since this picture was taken, as have the seat and trim brackets that are normally removed with RS carpet.

Cup DME mount and where it will ultimately go behind drivers seat.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh, removing that adhesive brings back memories. At least those that the adhesive remover didn't kill the brain cells.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Prepping for RS carpet.

What a mess the glue under the original carpet is. I am using 3M adhesive remover, but any suggestions? The 3M stuff takes a lot of fluid and the smell is killing me.

The amount of padding is amazing. A layer of carpet, then a layer of cardboard like material then foam padding. The side upholstery had think foam under it. I am surprised my USA Cup was not all that noisy with nothing but carpet over the sheet metal and no foam or cardboard.

The black stuff on the rear bulkhead was added by a stereo installer in the past and has been removed since this picture was taken, as have the seat and trim brackets that are normally removed with RS carpet.

Make sure that you use a respirator w/ organic vapor cartridges,

The old 3M adhesive remover was good the newer diluted version not so much, I bought a gallon of Goof Off® Professional Strength and a sprayer which worked well too.

the RS carpet is so thin that 1/8 -1/4" of underlayment will help it to lie nicely

Hope you are going to cut that ugly growth on the hump off

Where'd you pick up the spare DME mount?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Make sure that you use a respirator w/ organic vapor cartridges,

The old 3M adhesive remover was good the newer diluted version not so much, I bought a gallon of Goof Off® Professional Strength and a sprayer which worked well too.

the RS carpet is so thin that 1/8 -1/4" of underlayment will help it to lie nicely

Hope you are going to cut that ugly growth on the hump off

Where'd you pick up the spare DME mount?
Thanks for the respirator tip as well as the Goof Off Pro.

Appbiz backs their Sliverknit with Perlon to make it fit smoother.

All ugly growths are coming off with either a spot weld cutter or carbide wheel.

The DME mount is an extra I got in a swap along the way years ago.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah... That's definitely a fun project to remove all that crap... I lost all the skin on my fingertips when I did mine...

Someone here once posted about removing the glue etc. with one of those small steam cleaners. Said it worked wonders with removing glue & residue.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Oh yeah... That's definitely a fun project to remove all that crap... I lost all the skin on my fingertips when I did mine...

Someone here once posted about removing the glue etc. with one of those small steam cleaners. Said it worked wonders with removing glue & residue.
I have been considering buying one of those to clean cosmoline...griots sells one for like 300 bucks but I figure there have to be units that will work fine for under 50...what unit is that?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Prepping for RS carpet.

How much work is it to just get to those black flaps that allow the cabin pressure to equalize? I think mine are worn out because I have quite a bit of road noise coming from them compared to a friends 993.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
How much work is it to just get to those black flaps that allow the cabin pressure to equalize? I think mine are worn out because I have quite a bit of road noise coming from them compared to a friends 993.
Good question, I didn't know there was an issue and have not taken apart...yet.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
Ugh, removing that adhesive brings back memories. At least those that the adhesive remover didn't kill the brain cells.

Jealous here. Do you hire out to do this work?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this thread; keep it coming!

So it is possible to fit a GT3 motor and get it running properly in an earlier car?

Do you have any details yet on how you plan to tackle this?

'93rsa 3.8
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
I have been considering buying one of those to clean cosmoline...griots sells one for like 300 bucks but I figure there have to be units that will work fine for under 50...what unit is that?
I don't know, just googled one to show a photo but I remember looking them from Amazon and IIRC, you could get them under $50
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sturm
So it is possible to fit a GT3 motor and get it running properly in an earlier car?
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the bottom half to raise the RPM limitations.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will let Cupcar put the final word in on this, but I believe he intends to put the whole shebang in, along with running a radiator.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sturm
Love this thread; keep it coming!

Do you have any details yet on how you plan to tackle this?

'93rsa 3.8
I have a GT3 engine, but the engine I have has to be built up, so my plan is to get the car up and running with the stock engine first with a few mods such as LWF, single belt drive, P/S pump and heater blower delete. Once I get it on my engine stand probably a top end re-seal or maybe a valve job this TBD.

The crankcase of a GT3 is the same crankcase as the air-cooled 993 so the transmission to engine bolt up is a piece of cake bolt up (The "normal" non-GT3 996 uses another crankcase and is basically a POS engine in comparison IMHO). In fact, the LWF from the 964/993 RS is the same as used in the earlier GT3 RS. The GT3 engine is really a water cooled edition of the air cooled engine with water jackets over the cylinders and basically water cooled 959 cylinder heads. One has to admire the German hot rodder here.

That leaves a rear engine mount, which is easily fabricated using original 993 chassis mounts.

Water lines will run in the center tunnel to front trunk where a radiator will be installed that ducts through the normal opening through radiator and out a new hole cut in the hood (one reason I went to manual steering was to make more room for these lines.

If an entire stock GT3 engine is brought over, one can install the GT3 engine wiring harness and ECU for the wiring, this takes some work for integration with 993 wiring, but doable.

Or, one can go to a Motec, Bosch or other engine management if a modified engine is planned.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jealous here. Do you hire out to do this work?
If I had the time like I did when I built the car, I'd be happy to do it for a beer or three...

Don't ask me how much I've driven in the past two years...

Quick Reply: New project for me, yet another 993 RS Clone for you :-(