Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit/Speaker Replacement (Nak vs Becker)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Waldteufel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit/Speaker Replacement (Nak vs Becker)

I recently replaced the pitiful POS Nokia speakers in my 1997 993 doors with MB Quart QS-216s ( a bit of a pain, but huge improvement--the foam surrounds on the Nokias had actually disintegrated....was Porsche serious?!). This necessitated replacing the anemic CDR-210 with a new HU to take better advantage of the new speakers. After a researching the possibilities, I decided on a (NOS) Nak CD-500 as there is a dearth of tastefully executed single DIN units on the market.

After adapting the wiring (again, a bit of a pain) the Nak is now sounding good with CDs, but very bad with FM. The tuner section is the very worst I've had on ANY car radio! Sensitivity is a measly 15dbf and it's obvious the tuner section was added as a gratuitous afterthought.

I'd assumed the great reviews I'd read on the Nak 500's audio quality would extend to the tuner as I reasoned that any manufacturer concerned with audio quality wouldn't skimp on such a fundamental aspect of mobile sound. About 95 percent of my listening driving locally is FM with CDs only on longer drives (Ipod only via aux input...hardly worth the bother).

Now that I'm ready to return to a Becker for the better FM reception, it seems my choices are CDR-220 or CDR-220 as a Traffic Pro would remain an unused extravagance in this car. I'm told that the most practical official CDR-220 display fix for installation in a 993 is to install a CDR-22 faceplate onto a US-spec CDR-220. Any thoughts?....I don't want to have to go through this drill again.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had a Nak CD-400 which is very similar to 500. And I've had Naks gong back to 80s tape decks for home use. What can I say? Radio reception was never their strong suit. Coupled with pretty bad antennas on most German cars the combo is not great for radio. But the sound quality is better than majority of high end HUs out there as you already know.

There's is a possibility to listen to FM through iPod...

BTW, "return to Becker" might or might not be a correct statement. My CR-1 was made by Alpine. I'm not sure if all CDR-2X0 units where actually Beckers. As far as display, you can send the unit to Becker ad have them replace display for $100 or so. Or you can buy the unit from Becker with a correct display.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I have had Nakamichi's before....

And what you gain in CD quality you lose in FM...
I added an antenna amplifier...It helped a little.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Waldteufel
Intermediate

What type of amp? I already have window wire powered amp. I'm aware. Of Crutchfield unit that amplifies output from ant but doesn't increase ant gain. I might try magnum dynalab ST-2 taped under dash before giving up on 500.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
trooper4x4
Intermediate

My 993 C2S had a Pioneer head unit when I got it 4 months ago

Immediately replaced it with the CDR 220 (upgraded faceplate) hoping that the sound coming out from the speakers would be more match and balanced

To my surprise, it didn't even sound better at all
Decided to take a look at the front speakers and as you have said it, the rubber attachment of the cones to the side were completely disintegrated

Like you, I placed a pair of MB Quarts and have never been so happy and satisfied with the sound. As a bonus, I also placed an I-pod cable (charges the i pod as well) which I ordered from the OEM suppliers together with the upgraded faceplate

Never looked back after this modest upgrade
Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a long discussion with the audio shop about just these issues....they were down on the Nak. My stock speakers looked as if moths had been feeding on them for years! We dont' need no stinking foam!!

After that discussion I decided to move to the Alpine with Hertz speakers......bluetooth plus usb are a nice bonus. Not stock but no flying unicorns on the dash either and being able to have Pandora and Spotify and Itunes and FM and XM really is nice! The speakers are amazing!

Quick Reply: Head Unit/Speaker Replacement (Nak vs Becker)