993 Forum 1995-1998

Selling 1996 993 C2

Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
Standard stuff, standard story.

Holt has "buyers" or brokers he uses across the country.

Whatever story they give you is really just part of the standard process.
Don't understand. Why would the buyer misrepresent himself as a 'collector'? I've sold quite a few Porsches but doubt I've ever sold one to a buyer that misrepresented himself. But you're saying misrepresentation is standard?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much is Holt asking?

Does any body know.I would think around 45k.He is looking to make at least 6-7 thousand.Everyone has to eat.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Spidey 993

The first car I bought "almost" was from Holt.

The car I wanted was in the back room, the collection so to speak.

The car was found out of Miami, from one of his "buyers" or brokers in that Southeastern region looking for mint, low mileage, preserved 993.

Yes, this is common practice for these guys.

Don't tell me Dave you believe the "broker" is going to tell you the actual story, knowing it will be flipped do you? What about the money you left
on the table? What about the fact your car just entered the after market broker assembly line of selling cars, how cold does that make you feel?

Originally Posted by dave morris
Don't understand. Why would the buyer misrepresent himself as a 'collector'? I've sold quite a few Porsches but doubt I've ever sold one to a buyer that misrepresented himself. But you're saying misrepresentation is standard?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The car was found out of Miami, from one of his "buyers" or brokers in that Southeastern region looking for mint, low mileage, preserved 993.

Yes, this is common practice for these guys.

Don't tell me Dave you believe the "broker" is going to tell you the actual story, knowing it will be flipped do you? What about the money you left
on the table? What about the fact your car just entered the after market broker assembly line of selling cars, how cold does that make you feel?
Appreciate your insight. What you describe strikes me as pretty amateurish frankly. I know Tim isn't an amateur.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Spidey 993

I'm sorry if this bothers you, he was very open about the process when I asked about the history of the car.

Doesn't seem amateur to me. Looks like the same process happened to TNR911. It's the business of buying and selling cars. I'm sure he buys directly and uses brokers. I highly doubt he verifys the brokers stories they use to buy cars.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
TNR911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't see the point of not saying you're a broker if that's what you"re doing. I was motivated to sell the car and obtained a decent price instead of waiting longer to find a buyer who wanted to pay more. So it was an un-needed deception. That's the only part that rubs me wrong. Otherwise I don't care. I was paid and the car moved. The same guy bought my RSA as well. I imagine we'll see that for sale somewhere. Once again that's just fine. Someone will get one or two great machines and pay much more than buying from a RLer directly. I wish Holt best luck with the sale.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Spidey 993

Sounds like a fair deal all around. You got what you wanted. He got a car slightly under market so he can make $$ off it.

I disdain the selling process so much, I'm sure when I go to sell this car, I will tap a friend on the shoulder versus dealing with the public. I don't have the stomach or time for it.

Originally Posted by TNR911
I just don't see the point of not saying you're a broker if that's what you"re doing. I was motivated to sell the car and obtained a decent price instead of waiting longer to find a buyer who wanted to pay more. So it was an un-needed deception. That's the only part that rubs me wrong. Otherwise I don't care. I was paid and the car moved. The same guy bought my RSA as well. I imagine we'll see that for sale somewhere. Once again that's just fine. Someone will get one or two great machines and pay much more than buying from a RLer directly. I wish Holt best luck with the sale.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 AM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 122 Posts

I emailed Holt two days ago about this car and he said it was $44k. sounds like he will make a nice profit on this car.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TNR911
Exactly. You perhaps "paid" a bit for convenience, but got what you wanted for it, which is really all that matters. If someone else can get even more for it, good on them. The buyer will be paying a bit for convenience as well. Time is our most precious resource. I completely understand the benefits to the original seller and the new buyer.

Now a dealer misrepresenting himself as a "collector" is a bad deal. I'm not perfect, but I couldn't stand myself making based on lying.

Did you list the car anywhere else? I'm pretty sure that Tim lurks among us...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

What color/ year was it?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Anybody who was considering this beauty, it's now here: http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inven...M030-C2/322335
At a premium without having added anything to the equation.

Its one of the many reasons I don't let guys like that get rich on my sweat.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:18 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's the free market system and we all support it in one way or another .. Dealers are in the business of creating false trust based on their market wanting to 'feel' like they are paying an 'expert' to weed out the chaff and sell them quality goods. If it didn't work, dealers wouldn't do it .....
Old 12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
It's the free market system and we all support it in one way or another .. Dealers are in the business of creating false trust based on their market wanting to 'feel' like they are paying an 'expert' to weed out the chaff and sell them quality goods. If it didn't work, dealers wouldn't do it .....
Well at least it's being sold by a Porsche focused dealer. I'd prefer that than some jackass dealer peddling it...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Spidey 993

It was a white/cashmere 95 C2 with 40k miles. Great car but way overpriced.

Originally Posted by JDHertz11

What color/ year was it?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 AM
wolfturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Well at least it's being sold by a Porsche focused dealer. I'd prefer that than some jackass dealer peddling it...
A jackass dealer would not be able to get that kind of money for the car because he doesn't have the 'trust' that JPP described.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Selling 1996 993 C2