Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Guards Red C2S - Red or Black Twist w/ Polished Lip? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/661482-guards-red-c2s-red-or-black-twist-w-polished-lip.html)

RonCT 10-24-2011 03:04 PM

Guards Red C2S - Red or Black Twist w/ Polished Lip?

6 Attachment(s)
I've narrowed it down on customizing a set of wheels for my Red C2S:

Gloss black centers, polished outer lip, colored crests on the black center caps.

Gloss Guards Red centers, polished outer lip, red center caps.

Some examples I found of a Red car with Black / Polished wheels and then several of cars with wheels painted body color.

I believe you could order the wheels from the factory finished in the body color as shown on the red turbo on the cover of the Tequipment brochure. Not sure if when you ordered a car if you could order say black / polished on a red car.

Trying to stay somewhat accurate and really am torn between black / polished or red / polished. And I can't find a good photo of a C2 or C2S with red wheels (the brochure cover is the only I could find). I'm sort of leaning toward the black...

Thoughts?

deekay911 10-24-2011 03:08 PM

For me, it would definitely be the black in the first picture...

TYNUSKT 10-24-2011 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not a fan of color matched wheels so you should go with the black and a polished lip. The Cactuswagon is a stunning example of this

95C4VanIsle 10-24-2011 03:24 PM

I have a black car with black wheels and the polished lip. I really like them on my car and I think they would look good on yours as well. But I also like the wheels in the car colour as well. I will sit on the fence on this one.

Speedyellow993 10-24-2011 03:27 PM

Body Colour is to 80's

Black wins

RonCT 10-24-2011 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I suppose I should show a photo of the subject car... Low res but all I have until she arrives.

No plan for the chromes. May just keep them as they came on the car from the factory, just not my look.

Damien Lewis 10-24-2011 04:17 PM

From what I understand, the factory never delivered 993's with chrome wheels as the engineers did not account for the added weight of the chrome. Hence the "polished" finish on the Turbo S wheels.

So, it might be advantageous for you to sell the chromes and put the $$ towards your new wheels - or, strip the chromes and refinish them with the paint scheme you like.

My vote would be for red with polished lips.

Damien

cgfen 10-24-2011 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=RonCT;8969898]I've narrowed it down on customizing a set of wheels for my Red C2S:

QUOTE]

if not staying with argent, then 1st pic looks best to me.

Craig

RonCT 10-24-2011 04:28 PM

1st photo is my current preference. OEM Red (turbo shot) is 2nd. The others are just examples of wheels painted body color to help me get an idea of the general look.

Now the crest question... Painted over vs. mask the B&W or Color crests. Feeling like the top photo shows a nice look. Polished lip, gloss black center, colored crest on black background.

jlb_94611 10-24-2011 05:52 PM

Everybody knows what my vote is!!! If you like it so well ... she will be for sale soon.

Moding the 98 C2S. Got 964 sport seats coming in a few days. Needs a trip to FDM and to Rod Birch and then .. unveiled.

csmab 10-24-2011 06:16 PM

Black or go back to the stock finish.

RonCT 10-24-2011 06:21 PM

Now that I'm getting quotes for the paint work, I think what I may do is just that. Strip and paint up the chromes in the 2-tone and with the other set just refinish them OEM silver / clear. Then I'll have the best of both worlds. Shying away from the red / silver...

Academictech 10-24-2011 06:23 PM

Congrats Ron!

Nice looking car, congrats!

Agree with you on those chrome rims, anything but that.

The factory stock finish would be my first choice....can those rims be 'dechromed' and repainted? If you're set on painting them, black with a polished lip looks great on red.

Just put another 2000 miles on the '97...great trip thru Maine and N. Quebec. Looking forward to seeing that car in person.

RonCT 10-24-2011 06:29 PM

Thanks Bart,

You are the one that convinced me 993 C2S :) As soon as she arrives I'll swing by.

That's the plan - strip the chromes to bare metal and repaint / clear coat. Same with the 2nd set.

David993S 10-24-2011 06:32 PM

I vote to leave them in the stock finish. It's much more classic looking than painted or black.