993 Forum 1995-1998

I Need Some Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I have PS2s on one of my rim sets. They are OK. Just OK. For the price they are much below OK in my book.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:41 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Almost Decision Time

As always, the P-Brothers have come through with plenty of good choices.

A N D R E A S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L O L! I know exactly what you're talking about. Dude, you are too much. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Gents, it's an inside joke from the last time we worked on my car. You had to be there. Anyway, I've tallied up the wonderful suggestions and will make a decision soon. If there are any more, bring them on.

Thanks to all,

Ken
Old 10-22-2011, 10:33 PM
spts
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of Michelin Super Sports and love them. I went with 235/40 front and 285/35 18 rear. They have a better wear rating than the ps2's I had before and they grip extremely well in comparison to the ps2's. Very good tires for the money
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had Sumi's, Yokos, Kumo's, Michelin PS2's on a few of my cars (not all Porsches.....to be truthful). But, the tire that I would go to if I was looking for ride comfort, low noise, and long life.......and was willing to sacrifice a little bit in handling (though you won't notice it if you are not "spirited").......is the Continental Extreme Contact DW (summer) or DWS (all season). I've had sets on both a 5 and 3 series BMW and they live up to expectations......have about 40k miles on the set I have on my 545 BMW......and they look about half worn! Best all season tire I have ever owned in snow (probably a no-no for 993's). And, they are inexpensive. Not as cheap as the Sumi's......but, I had Sumi HTR III's on my 993.....and the rears lasted about 12k miles! Kumos seem to wear out just about as fast as the Sumi's. I currently have the Michelin PS2's on the 993......and they are the best tire of the lot........but very pricey. So, if your 993is your DD and you are looking for a long lasting tire that provides great performance......at a cheap price..........take a look at the Conti's. Tire Rack rates them extremely high.

And, I will throw in my vote for Tire Rack. I've prbably bought about a dozen sets of tires from them over the last several years.....and they are always great to deal with. One of the best web sites out there.....and they usually drop ship to me in 3 to 4 days......or to a shop of my choice.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone keeps suggesting the Conti DW, the only problem is they are on back order until who knows when. I think the fronts are expected in November / December and the rears they have no idea. I just went with Sumitomo's as the 2nd best choice to the Contis because I couldn't wait.

Always get my "regular" tires at TireRack...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can anyone explain why none of the autocross people ever use anything by Continental? I can. Continental has not made a good tire in as long as I remember (i.e. the last 25+ years). It was "ContiSport 2 is so much better thank ContiSport. Then it was "3 better than 2". Now it's DW. And, again, none of the people who need street tires to go fast actually use them. Eh?

On a TireRack note. It's a good company. Heck, it's an excellent company that I've been using for 20 years. But... I have not bought from them in the last 2 years. Why? I think they are not what they used to be. My last two orders resulted in a set of tires that was manufactured 4 years prior (Kumho V710) and a cancelletaion of another set after confirming they were in stock (Bridgestone RE-10). At which point I switch almost completely to Discount Tire Direct. Which is also excellent, sometimes slightly cheaper due to free (included) shipping and has not pulled any of the tricks on me yet that TireRack has. Just sayin'.

Finally, my though is this. When we recommend tires to each other it's really useful to say which tires you are switching from and what you actually use it for. I assume that none of my suggestions would be appreciated by someone who's looking for comfort, longevity or quietness, for example.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Actually the new Conti ExtremeContact DW and DWS are perhaps the best tires out there right now in their classification. Over a year ago when they were introduced, I got a set of the DWS (Dry / wet / snow) for my E46 330i. Honestly amazing tires. Near PS2 (previous summer favorite) dry performance, better wet performance... and they work well in the snow. The new WunderTire. Heard many good things about the DW and based on my DWS experience, I tried to get a set in 225/285. No go - sold out, hard to get, etc.

Before the DWS I too avoided Conti like the plague... Just take a look at the test reports on TireRack - look at the stats and compare them with your favorite non Conti tire. Really is eye-opening.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Tire Rack. They don’t always have the best prices, but they always have good prices. I just bought a used 993 that came with Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. To be honest, I don’t know anything about how old the tires were or the life they lead but they were almost full tread depth. I HATED THEM! I have always used Michelin Pilot Sport tires on all my cars and decided to give the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport a try. They are fantastic and have completely transformed the car from grip-less to sure-footed.

I say this about a lot of the things we buy but perhaps it is most true with tires. Make sure you buy stuff that you’ll enjoy for the long run. Almost all the fad items or the race items will soon have you questioning what you were thinking. Tires are the primary interface between the car and the road. You don’t have to buy them often and if you don’t like what you just bought, it is hard to change. Buy good tires. They are not the place to economize.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Alas, if only the Super Sport came in correct sizes for the 993 C2S I would have ordered those...
Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gawd, this is ridiculous. Are you implying that Michelins are better tires because they cost more? And they cost more because they are better tires and not because they spend 80% of their budget on advertizing? As I've said - I have PS/2s on one of my wheel sets for 993. Extremely average tire. Both on the street and on the autocross course (yes, I've had the misfortune of having to use it there too).

Fad items? Tires that are used by people for whom grip is paramount? Who have tried dozens of them and settled on the ones that actually work? Those fad items?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 AM
J.Graham
Instructor

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are incredible tires.
Damon at Tire Rack was great to deal with.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Originally Posted by RonCT
Actually the new Conti ExtremeContact DW and DWS are perhaps the best tires out there right now in their classification. Over a year ago when they were introduced, I got a set of the DWS (Dry / wet / snow) for my E46 330i. Honestly amazing tires. Near PS2 (previous summer favorite) dry performance, better wet performance... and they work well in the snow. The new WunderTire. Heard many good things about the DW and based on my DWS experience, I tried to get a set in 225/285. No go - sold out, hard to get, etc.

Before the DWS I too avoided Conti like the plague... Just take a look at the test reports on TireRack - look at the stats and compare them with your favorite non Conti tire. Really is eye-opening.
I put a set of DWS's on my D/D last winter and absolutely love them! Great ride, quiet, and wear like iron - may get 30,000 miles out of the rears, we'll see...
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire Rack knows how to treat their customers imo. Their inventory is broad. No affiliation. Just a happy customer. Sumi HTRIII's have been good to me for the past year. Had to drive in some inclement weather. Rain performance was good while driving responsibly.
chuck
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

on my 335 cab i replaced the runflats with with the PS2s. i dont DE or AutoX, so a caveat there,
but the PS2 were really nice for my spirited street driving.
unfortunately all 4 got bulges over this last horrible spring for our roads, so i changed them out
to the DWS, which are nice but do seem a bit more slippery than the michelins.
even tho i dont drive the car in snow i got the DWS hoping they will hold up better vs potholes.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Just a note for those looking to buy a set of the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports: THE PRICE WENT UP OVER THE WEEKEND!

I'm replacing the Sumitomo HTRZIIIs on my 97 C2 coupe (2 1/2 years, 11000 miles) and noticed the new Michelins had pretty reasonable pricing. Well, the pricing went up. Tirerack honored last week's price so I bought a set. From my understanding, they will match the previous price for 1 week. No affiliation, just a heads up for those considering these tires.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Tire Recommendations