Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Spidey 993TT (Tony), you've got some 'splainin' to do!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since your kiddo named the black Turbo "Spidey" & your screen followed ... I think "Smurfy 993Cab" is available

Besides ,admiring Arena993 (Mike)'s ride, many guys here have daydreamed about Smurfette, too.
So: congratulations on both accounts, Tony!

Originally Posted by Scott 1996 993c2
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT

I'm looking forward to projects!
Speaking of projects...
a Riviera Blue Cab Speedster
I gotta go talk to my wife! STAT!
...just kidding! Your Smurfy new ride rocks as is

So don't even think about this:
Originally Posted by Arena993

I dug this Speedster hump out of storage.
Mike

Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Get your dirty paws away from the grey roof! It makes the car stand out in a good way. And roof swap is about $2K.

I might (nay, I will) have at least one set of my 18" wheels available shortly. Have not decided which one although I have a pretty good idea.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Spidey 993

Goofball, great question and I spent many hours thinking about it over the last month. Disclaimer before people flame me. My opinion is not your fact, just mine.

I originally bought the 993 C2, and immediately was underwhelmed by the lack of thrust. I knew I had to have a 993TT. As you can see, I waste no time once I make up my mind.

Then bought the 993TT and the first month was incredible. The thrust was incredible, exciting. Car was superb in every way, no complaints.

Then, like anything in life for me, my excitement started to wear off for a couple reasons. 1. I can only do so many spirited stop light to stop light runs before I ask myself, what's next? I was starting to question the purpose of what I was doing. 2. Like a drug addiction analogy, it takes more excitement to get that same level of satisfaction. So, I start taking unnecessary risks to get same high as I did before. I'm just being honest.

I then met some Porsche track junkies who have lots of money and toys. GT3RS, 6GT3.. who like going to a AA meeting tell me they have experienced the same frustration of "what's next?" and at what level of safety am I willing to take on at my expense or that of others. Now remember, I live in open space, lots of room. However, it's not isolation either.

So I made the decision to keep my love of the 993 going by selling my 993TT and buying two cars. This cab and a dedicated track car. So, I get to scratch the itch with projects on my Cab, while also scratching that itch for a raised level of excitement while in the appropriate venue of the track. The more i talked to people, the 993TT didn't really seem like a good option for track use for a beginner like me. I could buy a 993 or 951 for much less while having some extra money available for repairs and misc costs.

The 993TT just didn't fit my future goals, so once i knew that, I move forward. Clock is ticking! But let me also say, I have 0 regrets in buying the car. I scratched that itch, accomplished that dream. For those who have OCD, and just have to have that life experience, I very much understand that too.

I took the 993 Cab for a drive immediately and started to laugh a bit at the lack of uummph. However this time, I was smiling because I appreciated the car for what it is now, not disappointed for what it's not.

Sorry for such a long response. Hope it helps someone experiencing that tug and pull.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Congrats, Tony!

Interesting that you kept the 993TT for such a short time, and went to a cab; I would be curious to know why. As someone who just had first crack at Chuck W.'s beautiful 993TT, which I passed on, I'm wondering what made you make the jump back to a N/A 993. I would have thought after owning the TT, no normally aspirated 993 would ever work for you again....

Looks to be a very nice example. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

Interesting that you kept the 993TT for such a short time, and went to a cab; I would be curious to know why.

I thought about it alot. Disclaimer before people flame me. My opinion is not your fact, just mine.
I originally bought the 993 C2, then bought the 993TT.

I made the decision to keep my love of the 993 going by selling my 993TT.
The 993TT just didn't fit my future goals, so once i knew that, I move forward.
Tony-- I completely understand: it's all about knowing yourself.

I recently called a RLer to talk about his mint condition 993 TT. He's a self-admitted "car junkie" who has the resources for whatever he likes.
I was initally shocked to hear he had recently sold his TT in favor of a normally aspirated 993
After listening to his reasoning, it quickly became evident he made the right decision for him, regardless of others' aspirations.

Totally get it!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I was a little curious too when I saw you posted for NB wheels, but didn't really put 2 and 2 together. Congrats on this gorgeous, really gorgeous RB cab.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Spidey 993

LOL, thanks. It was a whole lotta blue coming off the truck. But it is just amazing to see up close and personal.

Originally Posted by RodKnock
Now I get the other thread looking for the 18" twists. Nice. I had that switch in mind too. I'm officially jealous.
Yes, my wife told me to take the license plate off, ASAP. We are trying to figure out the right Smurf name to call it. I refuse "Grumpy" and submitted Gargamel to the kids committee. We will see, but I'm 99% I see a name change in my near future...again.

I appreciate the congrats as well. It feels awesome to have something so unique.

Originally Posted by curve lover
Since your kiddo named the black Turbo "Spidey" & your screen followed ... I think "Smurfy 993Cab" is available

Besides ,admiring Arena993 (Mike)'s ride, many guys here have daydreamed about Smurfette, too.
So: congratulations on both accounts, Tony!
Yes, I would love to turn it into a Speedster.
Not sure my pockets are that deep.

Speaking of projects...

...just kidding! Your Smurfy new ride rocks as is

So don't even think about this:

Originally Posted by nile13
Get your dirty paws away from the grey roof! It makes the car stand out in a good way. And roof swap is about $2K.

I might (nay, I will) have at least one set of my 18" wheels available shortly. Have not decided which one although I have a pretty good idea.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Spidey 993

You know if I did have endless means, I may have a stable of these cars to choose from on any given day.
Until that day I win the lottery, its about trying to get the best car to fit your scenario.
I feel great about my decision even though others may not.

I appreciate the support and kind words.

I recently called a RLer to talk about his mint condition 993 TT. He's a self-admitted "car junkie" who has the resources for whatever he likes.
I was initally shocked to hear he had recently sold his TT in favor of a normally aspirated 993
After listening to his reasoning, it quickly became evident he made the right decision for him, regardless of others' aspirations.

Totally get it!

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I was a little curious too when I saw you posted for NB wheels, but didn't really put 2 and 2 together. Congrats on this gorgeous, really gorgeous RB cab.

Last edited by Spidey 993; 10-23-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally get it!

I was the guy Jager called about my Arena Red TT.I owned it for 3 years,loved the car but missed that great sound a normally aspirated car makes at about 5000 RPM.I also missed the 2 wheel drive.Turbos just spool up and before you know it ,your flying.

I like you, was doing stupid stuff in the car on the street,just to feel the boost.The power that a Twin Turbo makes to me was just not that usable on the street.Just my opinion

I recently just bought an Ocean Blue C2S and I just love it.No regrets owning or selling the Turbo, but glad to be back in a normally aspirated car.

You have a beauty there!!Enjoy

Last edited by mpgandco; 10-23-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
,loved the car but missed that great sound a normally aspirated car makes at about 5000 RPM.
On that note, there is a box heading your way
That is a great looking car and Scott is a great guy. I'm glad you guys worked out a deal.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Spidey 993

Well congrats on your new ride too. Sounds like a beauty you have there

Tony
I was the guy Jager called about my Arena Red TT.I owned it for 3 years,loved the car but missed that great sound a normally aspirated car makes at about 5000 RPM.I also missed the 2 wheel drive.Turbos just spool up and before you know it ,your flying.

I like you, was doing stupid stuff in the car on the street,just to feel the boost.The power that a Twin Turbo makes to me was just not that usable on the street.Just my opinion

I recently just bought an Ocean Blue C2S and I just love it.No regrets owning the Turbo but glad to be back in a normally aspirated car.

You have a beauty there!!Enjoy
Thanks Darin. Yes, I tried to buy it awhile back when he listed, but everything happens for a reason and I got another chance.

Looking forward to some of the Fister music on her soon.

Originally Posted by FisterD
On that note, there is a box heading your way
That is a great looking car and Scott is a great guy. I'm glad you guys worked out a deal.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony:

Congratulations on your purchase. The search for the perfect machine is one of trial and error, but we get better at it, as we accumulate experience.

I'm going through the same process right now, in my search for the perfect motorcycle. But I think I've found it...
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tony
I was the guy Jager called about my TT.I owned it for 3 years.
I recently just bought an Ocean Blue C2S and I just love it.
Well congrats on your new beauty
+1; Mike's Ocean Blue is a beauty:

Old 10-23-2011, 01:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

loved the car but missed that great sound a normally aspirated car makes at about 5000 RPM.
Originally Posted by FisterD

On that exhaust note, there is a box heading your way
Darin-- Fixed it for ya ^^

Mike's Ocean Blue C2S:

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the 993 Cab for a drive immediately and started to laugh a bit at the lack of uummph.
Count me in the NA club. In fact, I would chose a NA car over a TT even if there was no difference in cost. I like the TT, but in my opinion, the steering, shifter and clutch feel of the 2wd NA cars is superior. They are just more responsive and sharp - especially in narrow body form.

Proper gearing and a LWF will make a surprising difference in the way the car feels though I acknowledge you are at a disadvantage at the altitude where you live.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: Spidey 993TT (Tony), you've got some 'splainin' to do!