993 Forum 1995-1998

Recommendations Please: '95 C2 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
You would get a great look with the wheels you already have by having the spoke section of the Cup IIs powdercoated flat black and having the outer rim sections polished by someone who really knows what they're doing in both processes.

I've thought about this for years after seeing an example, I think, in one of Peter Morgan's books. I think it was the 1997 version of something like Basalt Black. Very nice. If I can find somebody in the Toronto area to do this work, I will probably go for it. We aren't that blessed with many "tuner" shops here. Must be the northern climate.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:57 AM
tangram
Racer

Default Wheel Ideas

Went through the awesome wheel thread (yes, every page, I have no life) and liked surprisingly few of them. Here are the ones that did catch my eye but wondering, if I went with the painted centre/polished rim, what colour would work best. I am a bit dismayed by the look of the Midnight Blue? look but that could be ride height-related or maybe just the tires.

Name:  SAM_0237.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  New wheels 003 (Medium).jpg
Views: 52
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  my 911 PICT0852ascflip.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  141.1 KB

Thoughts please?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
tangram
Racer

Default Sorry, one more wheel idea

I think this looks fantastic, but again, wondering if doing the same thing with an Iris Blue car would be a mistake.

Name:  HollowSpokes001.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  107.0 KB
Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Brakes: I consider the stock brakes for street use just fine...maybe pads? New OEM discs if yours are done.
Stock brakes are fine for racing, too!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
SW chip - more responsive, little more power, better fuel economy. An upgrade that pays for itself.
Do they advertize a power increase, and if so, at what RPM? Every chip ad I've seen showed a power increase way up in the RPM band.

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Be careful if you turn your 17" cups to a darker colour - it may make them look smaller.
I like wheels to contrast the body color so that they stand out. On a dark car, that would be something like silver. On my Speed Yellow, I am considering powder coating my spare set of wheels, either gun metal or charcoal.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Stock brakes are fine for racing, too!
Good to know Mark since I have no track time and all I've heard is them using Pagid (color), etc. But then, I'd be very surprised if Porsche would have sub-standard brakes on any of their cars.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tangram
Went through the awesome wheel thread and liked surprisingly few of them.

Thoughts please?
Do you want a conservative classy look or a sporty look?

On a car with your color, I'd go with Speed Yellow on the wheels for a very sporty look.

BMW produced a motorcycle called the K1; one color scheme was a blue like yours with yellow wheels and accents. If that appeals, maybe buy a spare set of wheels and have them refinished in that color.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

tangram,

Nice car, lowered looks good.

Sport seats if you don't have them already. I stick with 17" Cup II for several reasons.

Since money is no great concern, one upgrade would be to become a paid member, it's only $19.95 and well worth it.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
If you're not concerned about cost go for a regear .
Regearing the transmission (or swapping to G50-21, G50-31, G50-32 etc) will make a huge difference. The G50-20's gearing is simply too tall and shorter ratios in the middle go a long way to "waking up" the car.

Originally Posted by tangram
I've always felt my car was a bit underpowered. I don't know if that is a function of being a '95 or not.

My '95 has, to me, quite a classic look and that is something I would like to preserve. The '95 basket handle is often not to people's tastes but it has grown on me over the years and adds a subtle, classic queue which for those in the know recognize it as a '95. So cosmetically, I will probably do nothing more than the rims. Furthermore, I had the front bumper resprayed last winter so I don't feel inclined to swap it out now. There's something about adding go-fast bits to the body without doing much to the motor that doesn't sit right with me. On the other hand, I think putting in new seats could be worthwhile and would be curious to know people's thoughts on short shift kits.

I like the idea of putting in an adjustable suspension. Currently the car rattles your kidneys going over things like bridge expansion joints, much to my wife's chagrin. I can also see getting some more aggressive tires (currently Potenza RE050A's), especially given how I use the car.

Any specific recommendations regarding suspension, short shifters, tires, rims, and seats are very appreciated.
Again with the regearing for the "lack of power" issue. The 95, sans VRAM, has less midrange torque and a regear helps.

I completely agree on the looks. The NB 993 coupe is classic Porsche and looks just fine spoiler-free.

Adjustable suspension/coilovers are ideal when trying to find that sweet spot between ride and handling. My 95 has Bilstein PSS9s set just on the firm side and feels fantastic for my needs. My 97 has H&R springs paired with Bilstein HD shocks and doesn't feel as nice. It can seem harsh on some kinds of pavement.

Tires? Kind of like oil, everyone has their own ideas. Michelin's new Pilot Super Sport seems to be the tire of the moment. It is only available in 18" sizes ideal for our cars (225/40-18, 265/35-18). I'll be putting a set on the 97 in the spring. Michelin PS2s are also an awesome tire and available in 17" fitments. At the other end of the price spectrum is the Sumitom HTRZIII. Decent tire for a LOT less cash.

Seats are another area with lots to choose from. Being a 95, might I suggest the OEM Porsche sport seats? Not the later style "hardback" sport seats (which replaced the earlier versions during 02/95 production) but the soft backed, large bolstered versions. These were, IMHO, the best "sport seat" Porsche made....as long as you fit! And as long as you can find a pair. Locating a set of 993 "correct" soft-back sport seats (with their 993 specific upholstery) will not be easy.

Recaro Pole Positions are a great looking seat and closely resemble the Recaro buckets fitted to both the 964 & 993 RS. Might not be the best for daily comfort and makes the rear harder to access.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by Gunter
tangram,

Nice car, lowered looks good.

Sport seats if you don't have them already. I stick with 17" Cup II for several reasons.

Since money is no great concern, one upgrade would be to become a paid member, it's only $19.95 and well worth it.
Thanks for the poke on membership. Long overdue on my part.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Your car looks great. Love the color. I wouldn't change anything.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:23 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunter

Solicitous "suggestions" like this puzzle me. But ... to each his own. Whatever. (not interested in another useless membership debate).
Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had to ask that question... let us help you spend your money

Let the slippery slope begin!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Suspension is going to give a very big bang for buck if your car is still running on stock shocks etc. This done in conjunction with some walrod front bushings will do wonders to how the car feels.

If you use a set of KW v3's or Bilstein PSS'10's the overall ride quality actually improves.

If you want to really go down the slippery slope tjangi is a guy who know's how to slide
Old 10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
tangram
Racer

In consultation with my mechanic, for the first mod I'm going to install a PSS-9 kit. I am going to take my time with this but it seems that suspension mods are a great way to get started. Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Quick Reply: Recommendations Please: '95 C2 Upgrades