Crack on Engine Fan o_O

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon
hmmm, I'm going to run to downtown LA porsche to get a quote. wish I could attempt a DIY and order parts from sunset or wherever, but I'm not really in my hometown and I can't do this in a public parking structure xD
Just wondering, when I get it repaired, is there any other maintenance or upgrades / updates that I should consider ?
I sent a PM with info on where to get the fan & bearing for far less than the Pelican number you quoted. I also offered to buy your cracked one. Did you get the PM?

I would be surprised if LAPD has just a fan in stock - as they tend to move complete engines.

Lastly, if you purchase a used fan, how will you know the condition of its bearing?

Andreas
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to buy the fan housing-fan-alternator as a unit from LAPD to get a fan
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I sent a PM with info on where to get the fan & bearing for far less than the Pelican number you quoted. I also offered to buy your cracked one. Did you get the PM?

I would be surprised if LAPD has just a fan in stock - as they tend to move complete engines.

Lastly, if you purchase a used fan, how will you know the condition of its bearing?

Andreas
they order new ones don't they? o.O

Originally Posted by NP993
It's probably been like that for years. I'd keep driving.
Don't think I want to risk sending a chuck of metal into someone on the street ^^;

Originally Posted by Amfab
I had to buy the fan housing-fan-alternator as a unit from LAPD to get a fan
that sounds like extra $$ .___.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...Just wondering, when I get it repaired, is there any other maintenance or upgrades / updates that I should consider ?
There's the fan pully update. And paint. If I were replacing my fan, I'd consider having the new one painted red or to match the car.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't think I want to risk sending a chuck of metal into someone on the street ^^;
How could that possibly happen?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NP993
How could that possibly happen?

Well, Mr. Halcyon could roll his whip without the engine lid, in effect, stylin' & profilin'.

Just sayin'.

Andreas
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Look at your fan housing for rubbing. Blades don't just crack from spinning. Bearing failure or pulley tension can cause the blades to contact the housing. That's what causes blade cracks...In my case it was the bearing that was starting to go. Looked just like yours....
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kilodawg
Look at your fan housing for rubbing. Blades don't just crack from spinning. Bearing failure or pulley tension can cause the blades to contact the housing. That's what causes blade cracks...In my case it was the bearing that was starting to go. Looked just like yours....
Not always the case. If moisture gets under the factory paint/epoxy coating, the magnesium will start to fail, either blistering up under the coating, splitting at the ends, or cracking.

Andreas
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Ok Andreas if you say so but that doesn't look like the failure mode here. I'm not a FEMA expert though I do work for NASA and can ask a few based on the pictures alone but these cracks (on two blades in the pictures) do not appear to be associated with localized corrosion. I would still recommend looking at the housing and the blade ends for signs of contact. It's just an easy and prudent thing to do and it's exactly what you could expect if contact was made.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kilodawg
Ok Andreas if you say so but that doesn't look like the failure mode here. I'm not a FEMA expert though I do work for NASA and can ask a few based on the pictures alone but these cracks (on two blades in the pictures) do not appear to be associated with localized corrosion. I would still recommend looking at the housing and the blade ends for signs of contact. It's just an easy and prudent thing to do and it's exactly what you could expect if contact was made.
Ralph,
Of course it's prudent to look for signs of contact within the housing, I'm not disputing that.

The point I tried to make was that these fans can also start to fail in other ways.

Andreas
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Andreas,

I understand.

I didn't say this specifically in my post but was thinking it and I would be interested in your opinion. Based on the pictures posted here could you fathom a hunch as to whether or not you think corrosion could be the factor here. I would have thought based on the premise that corrosion got under the protective coating that you would have seen clear (perhaps even dramatic) indication of that process before actual blade failure. Just wondering what you have seen...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

The blades encountering dust may cause this too
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

upon closer inspection, yep, the fan is scraping the housing :| bringing it into the mechanics to have them take a look and see what needs to be replaced next week. I'm guessing I'll need more parts than just the new fan that i ordered from sunset ...

Quick Reply: Crack on Engine Fan o_O