Sponsored by:

New Toy..and it's water cooled

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Sorry for being OT, but your car looks hot!
+1 !
Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
ok, that's funny. On my first Porsche club 'Drivers Ed' day at S.I.R. I was in a group of Newbs and several of them had very expensive and powerful Porsches set up for track. There was only one woman in my newbie group. She showed up in a pristine '87 924S. I overheard a few people snickering behind her back about the car and her gender. Anyway, we all went out one-on-one with an instructor to get a handle on the track and the rules of the club and to get some driving pointers from people who had some racing experience. Several of the newbs in the big, powerful cars had problems dealing with the 'restrictions' that the instructors put on them :-) I noticed that Kiki didn't seem to have any problems. Period. As a matter of fact, she only went around the track with an instructor once and then she was changed into the green run group ... where all the best drivers were running, where she pretty much dominated the track all day against new Turbo's, RS Americas and heavily modified track monsters of all stripes. So, at lunch, I found her alone, eating a sandwich by her car and we spent lunch talking. Turns out her father, was a big time European race driver and her brother was also a pro racer in the Porsche Cup circuit .. Her name was Kiki Wolfkill ... I recently read an article about her being invited to drive several of the cars that run in the ALMS series and I think her brother Kim is the Editor of Road and Track now ..? You never know ...
Here's an article about her .. http://m.kitsapsun.com/news/2002/jul...ff-to-work-on/ Oh, and did I mention she was gorgeous?
I also crossed paths with Kiki way back when on a trip up north to run Seattle and PIR. Yep, very nice woman. Wished I didn't have to return home? Also, a guy named Leed Gulick was very helpful in getting me in a couple of events when the Porsche Club basically said FU since I couldn't get my car pre-teched at an approved shop.

Originally Posted by justin993
Nice ^ I have that car in the garage - hasn't seen much action in the last 5 years, but it is the car that got me into porsches when I was a kid.
The 944 was a great car to cut your teeth on, it can be driven very hard without getting into too much trouble. However, when the back end comes out, you have to be a little more patient or it snaps back the other way pretty quick. The 993 came way more natural to me (maybe because I read so much about the handling dynamics before owning one) - I like the instant corrections and I feel the handling dynamics are defiantly more natural to me.
I had a 951 too, never again will I dump money into one of those - fun car though.
Good luck with it, get yourselves a parts car too
Funny how few talk about 944s on the limit. When I was helping a guy with one of the first ones in Showroom Stock in '83, we just couldn't get past how the seemingly inferior 280ZX was an easier drive. A lot of it got masked as my personal experience went into helping the DE guys who weren't rules limited, and going crazy stiff on the suspension seemed to help. Honestly, I don't know how the Spec 944 are set up, but I'll guess 25 years of development led to a good consensus.

Anyway, you'll enjoy the learning process.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
I know not of any incident you speak

An oldie but a goodie. Best part is at 2:38 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8
Here's how you drive?

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: New Toy..and it's water cooled