Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible top locking motor bad? help!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
Start with that. Your dealer is full of ...

But if you feel like running around and paying money instead of Porsche doing this under recall, more power to you.
Most likely the recall has been done on this car by a previous owner a longtime ago ? The dealer looks it up and it is has been done hence " no recall " .

Yes Boosted330 you are on the right track just follow these instruction ...

To remove or replace or rotate the damaged latch gear teeth out of the way:
1. Take particular note of the position of the cam on the shaft relative to activating the micro switch - needs to go back exactly in the same position.
2. Remove the allen grub screw in the back of the shaft cam,
3. Slip off the shaft circlip,
4. Tap out the splined latch shaft from the gear using an old socket over the end of the shaft resting on the shaft shoulders,
5. Swap in a new gear and reverse the procedure, OR,
6. Simply rotate the existing gear's damaged teeth to the position that they will not come into contact again with the worm gear (which is what I did - cheap fix).

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 10-17-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Guy, I think you are right on possibly recall being done prior. However, I'd press the issue and simply called Porsche NA on Monday, given them the VIN and asked if the recall was ever performed and when.

In my own experience with previous cab the motor did go bad after recall. turning the gear did not have the desired effect - it somehow managed to turn itself back to the broken tooth after a few weeks. Worth a try, though.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briefescape
Most likely the recall has been done on this car by a previous owner a longtime ago ? The dealer looks it up and it is has been done hence " no recall " .

Yes Boosted330 you are on the right track just follow these instruction ...

To remove or replace or rotate the damaged latch gear teeth out of the way:
1. Take particular note of the position of the cam on the shaft relative to activating the micro switch - needs to go back exactly in the same position.
2. Remove the allen grub screw in the back of the shaft cam,
3. Slip off the shaft circlip,
4. Tap out the splined latch shaft from the gear using an old socket over the end of the shaft resting on the shaft shoulders,
5. Swap in a new gear and reverse the procedure, OR,
6. Simply rotate the existing gear's damaged teeth to the position that they will not come into contact again with the worm gear (which is what I did - cheap fix).

Cheers Guy
thanks so much! finally getting to doing this tomorrow,

do i have it right in the picture?

i need to remove the gear and rotate it so the tooth (in the circle) directly opposes where it makes contact(at the bottom of the line), while keeping the cam(blue circled area) in the same position? just looking to confirm that i understand you so i dont mess this up more than it already is haha

thanks again!!!

edit-1.jpg?t=1319160957
Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

i got it apart except for step 4. i've been pushing on it with a socket and tapping on the end with a hammer and there's been no movement. am i doing this right? i attached images of what i'm doing

cam removed:

IMG_0626.jpg?t=1319224621

with socket resting on the shoulder:

IMG_0627.jpg?t=1319224610
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

problem solved! thanks for all the help fellas!!! just had to hit it REALLY hard. couldn't have done it without your help, thanks again!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Glad you got it resolved . Hope there is some top down weather
left before winter sets in .

Cheers Guy
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Shawnspi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hellllp!!!

I had to replace my hyro-rams and .. well it didn't go well at first. So I had to take the latch mechanism off to get the top closed.

I have fixed everything else. But when i took the latch off, I guess i broke the plastic piece that is in there. It looks like that piece hits 2 little switch... what does it do?

The other problem; maybe related. The top comes up; but the latch latches befoe it is close. If i put the top up.. stop the process, it will eventually drop in place and then i can pull it down and latch it continueing the process with the button...

Any idea how to fix the problem.. pleaaassse?

2000 Porsche 911
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM
gaby1088
Instructor

Bump for the poster above. I rotated the brass gear and now i have to press the "open" button several times before the top fully opens. Its opens little by little by depressing the button around 3 times but closes in one cycle. Anyone have experience with this? It also says that the top is open, when it is closed.

thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
dlg993
Track Day

I'm having success, and don't need a reply to what was formerly a question here.

Last edited by dlg993; 10-05-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: learned something during work
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
dlg993
Track Day

Another question, Boosted330 or BriefEscape, did you take any photographs of the gear tooth position upon reassembly?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible top locking motor bad? help!