993 Forum 1995-1998

RUF rear-wing module installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up RUF rear-wing module installed

Thanks DJF1 for selling me a great item. Sometimes we take risks purchasing items from people we don't know, but Im glad the rennlister code of honor remains.

I spent several hours removing both car seats, thinking that the rear-wing control module would be under the seats, along with the rest of the electronics. Little did I know, all I had to do was look under the dash and there it is. Quick and easy replacement, all you need is a phillips.

I tested it on the interstate and the wing now goes up around 80mph and retracts at around 40mph. I am very happy! Temperature gauge shows no difference in cooling (but I've permanently removed my bottom engine cover, so that may explain the superb cooling.)

Anyway, very pleased. The classic 911 rear looks like a real sweetheart at 65 mph and wing goes up only when going to warp speed
Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be a party pooper, but I thought the wing deployment at 50mph was for stability purposes, to reduce rear-end lift and prevent oversteer, not cooling. I remember reading somewhere that if the wing malfunctioned Porsche recommended not to drive the car at speed...

Last edited by deekay911; 09-22-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I routinely "trick" mine to stay up, when driving around town, stop light to stop light. Mostly to avoid the up/down wear and tear. But also for more cooling.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the wing deployment at 50mph was for stability purposes
IIRC there was a lengthy thread about this some time ago and it was more or less concluded that the handling wasn't really affected in any meaningful way until/unless you were going way above the speed limit (in the US anyway). Cooling on the other hand could be a factor as the low pressure area begins to develop above the rear deck and limit cooling, well before it increases sufficently to produce any real lift. The RUF module presumably raises the wing early enough that neither is a problem.

In the interests of full disclosure I have one too. I've also had no noticable hotter running since I installed it.

Quick Reply: RUF rear-wing module installed