Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   My door is hard to close (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/654652-my-door-is-hard-to-close.html)

993 770 09-12-2011 11:30 PM

My door is hard to close

After exhausting the search button, I need a little help with passenger door. It seems like it is much harder to close the passenger door than the driver door. I'm guessing it's because the driver door gets used more often. Any ideas if there is something wrong with the lock mechanism or if I should spend some time opening and closing it?

CalvinC4S 09-12-2011 11:48 PM

Any cracking noise and is the car level?

jlb_94611 09-13-2011 12:09 AM

My 98S has new door seals and I have to close the doors with more force than I use on my 96.

1pcarnut 09-13-2011 12:24 AM

The latch is adjustable, it's one of the things I like to get lined up when I first get a car. Also, since the car is so airtight I close the door until it is about an inch away from closing before actually giving it the final push to latch. Are all your door seems even, any history of accidents, these might contribute so a slight mis-alignment of the latches.

993 770 09-13-2011 12:48 AM

How do I adjust the latch? The car is level and the passenger door closes fine if I give it a little extra push. It's just harder to close than the driver side. There was an accident back in 98, but everything lines up well, so I doubt it's something permanent.

Thanks for all the help!

1pcarnut 09-13-2011 01:53 PM

There are two bolts that hold the latch to the door post. I'm away from the car at the moment but if I recall you need a 12-point head to fit the bolts, it's about 5 or 6mm if memory serves. Like an Allen head wrench only with splines.

If the door is aligned properly on the car, the latch is simply holding the door against the car, it should not move the door up or down as it closes. If you look carefully at the base plate the latch is mounted to, you will see some indexing marks on the outside vertical edge and on the top edge. It's a good idea to take a grease pencil (china marker) and first mark the current horizontal and vertical axis' so you have your starting point to go back to.

Get down to eye level and as the door is closed you can look in and get an idea of whether the latch needs to got up or down. You can also adjust for how how tightly the door is held in. If it is too tight then move the latch horizontally out which will release some tension and might give the results you need. But, this will also not close the door quite as much, (we're talking like one or two mms here.) and may result in the door standing proud of the rest of the car. It's trial and error. One caveat, don't undo the bolts completely, loosen them just enough that you can gently tap the latch with something soft (piece of wood works) to move the direction needed.