Sponsored by:

Why no love for the 993 Targas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
huh? by "911 shape" you mean rain gutters? Targa has same profile as the Coupe (not counting the 3rd brake lite), according to my eyes.
They have a very different profile ... I happen to like both

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Always curious about this: since Targas have no door frame, do they close with less solid 'thunk' compared to coupes?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
huh? by "911 shape" you mean rain gutters? Targa has same profile as the Coupe (not counting the 3rd brake lite), according to my eyes.
the rear quarter glass..... that classic round line not found in cabrio nor targa.
Some people just gotta have it.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Flat six 911 that looks SWEET!

I like that flush smooth wingless loook, It just shows the beautiful shape of the car. What did you do for a 3rd brake light???
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the rear quarter glass..... that classic round line not found in cabrio nor targa.
On that small, but important detail, you are correct.

I had a brain fart and forgot that every line and curve matters on the on closest thing to perfection in automotive form: the 993 coupe.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
coreseller
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
That along with the absence of the seam that looks similar to Cabriolet hardtops. I was one of the guys who had to have that classic round line, not just me I guess.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

How about a few pictures of my old Targa to show a profile - first one with RUFS ( also look closely at the top of the roof.. ) - removed basket handle, and a real RS tail, Turbo bumper, clear corners, removed bumperettes from/back, removed front squirters - to make a very smooth clean look. I really like the curve from the rear window to the tail ....

With MY02's

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
How about a few pictures of my old Targa to show a profile - first one with RUFS ( also look closely at the top of the roof.. ) - removed basket handle, and a real RS tail, Turbo bumper, clear corners, removed bumperettes from/back, removed front squirters - to make a very smooth clean look. I really like the curve from the rear window to the tail ....

With MY02's

Cheers,

Mike

no wonder it sold so fast. It looks great. Especially with the Ruf wheels!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Always curious about this: since Targas have no door frame, do they close with less solid 'thunk' compared to coupes?
Actually, I think the targa (like all 993's) close with that solid "cling" with a little bit of metal sound to it. It sounds just as sweet on the targa as on the coupes or cabs.

The targa uses the same frameless door as the cab. So it's really nice because you can swing your hand around the door to open and close without the door frame getting in the way.

This is a minor feel, but really makes me feel good inside and sometimes makes me look back at my car after closing the door when I hear that amazing Porsche "cling" sound! It's unique to the older (air-cooled) Porsches. Something you just don't feel when closing any water-cooled 911, Boxster, Cayman, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike J

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,

I LOVE the look of the RS tail. I've always like this tail the best of all the fixed wings, but was afraid I'd ruin the targa look with it. But it seems to really work on your car. Do you have any pics from the back to show the rear more? I take it you had your RS tail as your 3rd brake light and so you removed the basket handle.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, rear-shots. PO got rid of the basket handle, and here I can get away without the third brake light - or at least I did....

Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bits that I have read

I have had mine for about ten years and love it. I have read two things that I would like some opinions on. First the Targa wheels are intentionally heavier than the coup or the cab to balance out the extra weight of the top and lower the center of gravity. And second that you are not supposed to install bigger than 17" wheels as that will increase the vibrations which will mess with the top.
Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RMEllis
I have had mine for about ten years and love it. I have read two things that I would like some opinions on. First the Targa wheels are intentionally heavier than the coup or the cab to balance out the extra weight of the top and lower the center of gravity. And second that you are not supposed to install bigger than 17" wheels as that will increase the vibrations which will mess with the top.
Thoughts?
Very interesting, I also want to know
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm sorry finger problems.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RMEllis
Thoughts?
Total poppy **** - look at my Targa above - ran 17"'s, 18"s and 19's - NO issues whatsoever attributable to the wheel size.

I also think the "heavy Targa wheel" story is an Urban Legend - as I have said so many times, I have had the roof off my car, I can lift it unassisted with the motors and glass, so its not that heavy, and the metal above your head on a coupe with a sunroof does weight something. Having owned both a couple and a Targa, I can say there is NO difference that I can feel between the two cars, in fact the Targa handles better than my Turbo in some ways because it has PSS-9's and RS bars. YES - you can do the same upgrades to these cars as the coupes.

There are a lot of "opinions" out there from people who have never owned a Targa, never mind tracked or driven one in anger - I have expressed my opinions, having owned one for 10 years.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike,

Gee, I heard that if you "dare" to put anything larger than 17" wheels on your targa that the suspension and all four wheels fall off simultaneously! - NOT.

Thanks for the pics of your previous baby from the rear. All I can say is .... S W E E E E E T!

Thank you for that moment of beauty. You must have gotten a lot of looks while driving that car. Your mods were all very tastefully done and merely helped to perfect an already awesome car.

Marc G.

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 993 Targas?