Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Recap of the SAI circuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt that it is due to overfilling - I know for 100% sure that my car was never overfilled because I took care of oil and changes myself. I also know t hat the SAI problem started with a failure of the SAI valve that allowed exhaust gasses to flow backwards through the SAI ports. And I know that my car was driven 30,000 miles per year when the fault appeared, so it was not due to just driving around the block and never warming it up.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I seriously doubt that it is due to overfilling - I know for 100% sure that my car was never overfilled because I took care of oil and changes myself. I also know t hat the SAI problem started with a failure of the SAI valve that allowed exhaust gasses to flow backwards through the SAI ports. And I know that my car was driven 30,000 miles per year when the fault appeared, so it was not due to just driving around the block and never warming it up.
Mr. Noble,
My initial statement was engine oil overfilling was a significant contributing factor to the clogged SAI ports. This is not to say that a frozen SAI stop check valve, or worn, oblong, or out of tolerance valve guides can't also be a significant contributing factor; as I have said the same thing in other posts regarding the SAI system.
I then added my own conjecture based upon the likelihood of Owners and also shops of potential overfilling when performing oil changes.

One must first have a good working knowledge of the term "contributing factor/cause" in order to fully understand the post, without paraphrasing and responding as you did.

If worn, oblong, or out of tolerance valve guides was the root cause, then everyone who cleaned, or had cleaned their SAI ports, just wasted time and/or money by not addressing the proposed root cause, and we know this purported root cause to be unsubstantiated by any meaningful or significant data.

Last edited by nine9six; 09-30-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
JALIGN
3rd Gear

Default Thanks plus my request

Hi Larry
Thank you very much in advance.
I would like one assembled "SAI Circuit " in enclosure and blocks. And one in kit form also with the enclosure and terminal blocks etc. Please PM me for any needed info
Regards
Jay
Old 01-01-2016, 04:09 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nine9six
Mr. Noble,

One must first have a good working knowledge of the term "contributing factor/cause" in order to fully understand the post, without paraphrasing and responding as you did.
I just don't understand the need to insult people who are trying to be helpful. I no longer have my 993, it was stolen. I was trying to offer my knowledge of a car I knew very well. I am very sorry you have been offended. I will unfollow this thread, clearly you know enough to satisfy everyone and YOU at least do not want nor value the input of anyone else. This is not my loss, but disparaging the knowledge and opinion of others is not helpful.

Enjoy your car. No need to reply.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 PM
darryldds
AutoX

I need help with an economical way to solve some faults that my mechanic retrieved from my OBD:

#80=secondary air injection system cylinder (1-3)
#208= secondary air injection system cylinder (4-6)
#95= shutoff valve, activated charcoal filter (function)

Any help on how to solve these issues to shut off the check engine light would be greatly appreciated.

It is a 1998 993 coupe C2S with 115K miles. Engine has never been opened (and would like to keep it that way).
Old 01-18-2016, 04:44 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darryldds
#80=secondary air injection system cylinder (1-3)
#208= secondary air injection system cylinder (4-6)
The only option which I know is full effective is clearing the SAI ports with a bicycle brake cable.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...clean-out.html

Originally Posted by darryldds
#95= shutoff valve, activated charcoal filter (function)
Probably unrelated to SAI. Usually caused by a leak in the gas vapor recirculate hoses.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
mmcclaskey
Rennlist Member

First time for me in this forum. I am a new 993 owner and got the PO410 error code the other day. I reset with iPhone OBDII tool. I assume it will come back. I am in a no smog test area in Washington State. Any real reason to try to fix it? Even replace check valve. From what I can tell other than the CEL light being on there seems to be no reason to worry about it. When the light comes I can always pull out my iPhone OBDII tool or lug the laptop and Durametric to the car to check to see if the error is not something more serious. Anyway I've got more serious stuff to be work on wheels, tires, suspension, exhaust and four other cars
Old 05-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for this uneducated post, but once the heads are off. Is it possible simply to weld these SAI ports shut?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Lots of info around - do a search. Its the on board computer detecting plugged ports. If it was as easy as plugging the ports why the bother of this solution?

Cheers

Mikr

Originally Posted by 0396
Sorry for this uneducated post, but once the heads are off. Is it possible simply to weld these SAI ports shut?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, makes sense
Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been away from this thread for quite some time. I purchased one of the boards literally must be a few years ago now. A little too lazy to read through 30 pages of posts to find out how it all worked out so was hoping someone wouldn't mind posting a quick update on its success. Did anyone ever get it to work and defeat the SAI fault code from appearing on MY1996 cars? I had my top end redone about 15k miles ago but am paranoid of the SAI ports becoming clogged again in the near future. My mechanic said it's inevitable and he has done top ends more than once for some owners over the years. I don't care to be in that camp if I can avoid it. (I should have had the ports enlarged when it was all apart).
Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 AM
993-TJC
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 96 993 two years ago in Salem, Oregon where there is no smog check. The light was removed. My second project was clearing the SAI ports (first was the steering rack rebuild). All ports were blocked. The proceedure worked great and no codes for the past two years and 10,000 miles.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:44 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm at a loss here.....can anyone answer if the electronic gizmo that was being sold here in this thread ever worked on solving the SAI fault codes on 1996 models with OBD2?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 AM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The circuit is a very short term solution. The CEL light will come back. The long term solution is to drill out the blockage will bicycle brake cables and solvent.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
tbil
Racer

I've been away from this thread for quite some time. I purchased one of the boards literally must be a few years ago now. A little too lazy to read through 30 pages of posts to find out how it all worked out so was hoping someone wouldn't mind posting a quick update on its success. Did anyone ever get it to work and defeat the SAI fault code from appearing on MY1996 cars? I had my top end redone about 15k miles ago but am paranoid of the SAI ports becoming clogged again in the near future. My mechanic said it's inevitable and he has done top ends more than once for some owners over the years. I don't care to be in that camp if I can avoid it. (I should have had the ports enlarged when it was all apart).
If you had the valve guides replaced with the top end, must have, and they used a better part than the OEM, then I would think you really don't need to be worried about SAI again for either a very long time or forever.

I too bought the electronic work around for my 96 but never installed, drilling with the brake cable has proven to be pretty easy and expect it will last a long time as I don't put many miles on the car.

Quick Reply: Recap of the SAI circuit