Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
Guys (and Gals if you are here),

My original question about removing the smoke odor has been thoroughly addressed and I greatly appreciate all the help and opinions. This thread is starting to turn into what I was hoping to avoid.

I'll try to explain a little better some of the questions that came up here about the car and why I was asking.

I contacted TruSpeed and talked to a very helpful salesman about my search for a 993. I told him what I was looking for (color, options, mileage, non-smoking, etc.) and ask about the only 993 they had for sale at the time. I told him I noticed from the "Sold Inventory" that they have sold a lot of quality cars very close to what I'm looking for. He told me they are "down about 15 cars" from their inventory and hope to get some more. He said he would look into the only 993 they had and get back to me as to the condition inside and out. We both agreed that it wouldn't be a fun trip from Ohio to California if the car was a major disappointment. He called me back about 30 minutes later and told me the previous owner was a smoker and the smell inside was noticeable and he recommended we continue to look.

I have never been a smoker or been around smokers. My workplace for the past 20 years has been "smoke-free" and nobody in my family or wife's family smoke and none of my friends smoke so I really have no guage as to how hard the smell is to remove let alone the film that is left behind that I didn't consider. I have nothing personal against anyone who chooses to smoke as long as it doesn't impose on my rights as a non-smoker.

So, let's put this to rest. I'm passing on the car and will pass on future cars if they have been smoked in as well.

Thank you again for all the helpful suggestions...
Nice wrap-up. Good luck on your search!

Andreas
Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTKan
.........I do believe there is a correlation between smoking or chewing or whatever and the lack of proper care. Why take that chance?
I tried, to resist ... but like my habit, I just could not let this one slide ....

A gasper for more than 30 years, I luv to puff n’ polish. The lavish and care I apply is measurable by the butts littering my garage floor.
My budget for yearly maintenance, detail and attention to the slightest remedial detail is 4 times my annual stock of filter tips.
If you could bring yourself to wade thru my haze, squinting, and tiptoeing thru the sooty debris …. you would appreciate that (some) smokers actually do give a stuff, in between puffs !!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say my attention to detail is even in the same league as Andreas's. But anyone who knows me and my car will vouch that there is no better maintained 993 on the road. I have every single receipt from day one and photos of myself doing most of the work. But I do that for me, not the next owner, as I will never sell her.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Hamilton
I tried, to resist ... but like my habit, I just could not let this one slide ....

A gasper for more than 30 years, I luv to puff n’ polish. The lavish and care I apply is measurable by the butts littering my garage floor.
My budget for yearly maintenance, detail and attention to the slightest remedial detail is 4 times my annual stock of filter tips.
If you could bring yourself to wade thru my haze, squinting, and tiptoeing thru the sooty debris …. you would appreciate that (some) smokers actually do give a stuff, in between puffs !!
We all have rules of thumb for buying cars and one of mine is never to buy a smoker's car period. This rule may result in my missing out on some very fine cars over the years, but on average the rule has served me well.

And, while I do believe that there is a correlation between smoking/chewing and less than stellar care, I never stated nor implied that this correlation is perfect as the last two posts make abundantly clear.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Leon993
Racer

of course, if all else fails, you could smoke a little medical marihuana to offset the tobacco
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
TTKan
Pro

Originally Posted by Leon993
of course, if all else fails, you could smoke a little medical marihuana to offset the tobacco
That would work . . . of course, then you are going to get the munchies, be forced to drive through a fast food restaurant and that prompts an entirely new thread about eating in the car. Do we really want to go there?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just don't understand the plan. We need smokers. And people who eat deep fried butter. And people to drink their liver into submission. Dead by 60 is the only means to bring Social Security into balance for the rest of us.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll make the wild guess that the dealer may have had a better offer or less discriminating buyer on the line and therefore told the OP to not bother coming down to see it for himself. Why else would they take in such a car and then tell someone to not buy it?
Ahhh most likely because he is honest and didn't want a disappointed buyer who flew across the country unhappy that his "new" car reaked of cigarette smoke. A strong smell, from cigarettes or anything else is something that should be disclosed by an honest seller. I bought my car from Truspeed long distance (as did a friend of mine) and we both found them to be completely honest and fair in their dealings. I think others here have had the same experience. That rep is hard to develop but very easy to lose so I can see why they might be inclined to disclose a factor that many buyers obviously care about. Eventually they'll find a buyer that doesn't care about the smell but at least they'll know up front what they're getting.

And I have no affiliattion with TruSpeed in any way at all except as a happy customer.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Ahhh most likely because he is honest and didn't want a disappointed buyer who flew across the country unhappy that his "new" car reaked of cigarette smoke. A strong smell, from cigarettes or anything else is something that should be disclosed by an honest seller. I bought my car from Truspeed long distance (as did a friend of mine) and we both found them to be completely honest and fair in their dealings. I think others here have had the same experience. That rep is hard to develop but very easy to lose so I can see why they might be inclined to disclose a factor that many buyers obviously care about. Eventually they'll find a buyer that doesn't care about the smell but at least they'll know up front what they're getting.

And I have no affiliattion with TruSpeed in any way at all except as a happy customer.
fwiw, Truspeed found me my car, too. Which I have since sold to a happy new owner. The Morgan family (TruSpeed) made their fortune in the software business. A huge fortune. They don't need to sell cars. Racing and selling Porsches is more of a labor of love then a necessity for survival.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTKan
...........prompts an entirely new thread .........
Here's an "old" one, Crikey! Take a "whiff" of this detour! ..... needless to ask, who'd buy a Porsche from a cow cocky !?!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
TTKan
Pro

Originally Posted by Sean Hamilton
Here's an "old" one, Crikey! Take a "whiff" of this detour! ..... needless to ask, who'd buy a Porsche from a cow cocky !?!
Oh, the car will find a home . . . likely with a smoker. Consider all of the advantages. You can probably buy the car at a steep discount and you no longer have to buy cigs . . . you need only sit in the car and inhale. Save twice and enjoy!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this car on their website? The only '96 I see on there is a C4S advertised as having $50k in options and no mention of being a smoker's car. I just have to wonder why a place that specializes in the cream of the crop of Porsches would take in a car that has such a stench.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

This diatribe reminds me of that classic movie with none other than Ringo Starr, "The Magic Christian" wherein, there is a perfect example of what some people will do for money. Anyone who has seen the pic will certainly remember the scene. My point is that, depending on what car, at what price, I seriously doubt that any one of us would refuse to purchase a vehicle that had a previous owner who smoked. RS? Turbo S? 356 Carrera? 356 Speedster? Yes, we all have our principles...and our price...Some are just higher than others.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
This diatribe reminds me of that classic movie with none other than Ringo Starr, "The Magic Christian" wherein, there is a perfect example of what some people will do for money. Anyone who has seen the pic will certainly remember the scene. My point is that, depending on what car, at what price, I seriously doubt that any one of us would refuse to purchase a vehicle that had a previous owner who smoked. RS? Turbo S? 356 Carrera? 356 Speedster? Yes, we all have our principles...and our price...Some are just higher than others.
No price here. If you gave me a Turbo S that had been smoked in, I wouldn't take it. Seriously. It's not about principle. I get extremely nauseous from cigarette smoke and tobacco residue. I have keen sense of smell (that is sometimes a curse.) Tar and nicotine has an adverse affect on me physically. Money can't fix it. And as we all know it's better to be poor and healthy than rich and sick.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Is this car on their website? The only '96 I see on there is a C4S advertised as having $50k in options and no mention of being a smoker's car. I just have to wonder why a place that specializes in the cream of the crop of Porsches would take in a car that has such a stench.
'96 C4S @ TruSpeed

It doesn't mention anything in the description about the previous owner being a smoker but to be fair, I haven't seen "smoker" ever listed in a description in any listing that I have looked at, only "non-smoker".

Quick Reply: Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?