Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior plastic parts

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior plastic parts

Has anyone had any experience with their interior plastic parts discoloring and turning a somewhat brown color as opposed to black? Example is around and under the hand brake lever and on the lower console where the door lock button is. If so, what is one to do?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Yep. My climate control unit is brown as well. I do not have a good solution.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Im wondering if there is a dye or paint that can be used. Lets see what others have done...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine are still black, I wonder if its proportional to UV damage and hence the amount of sun you get? In the Pacific Northwest we get a nice sunny summer, but once into the fall it gets much more, ahhh, dark. :-)

About the only benifits I can see on our local weather is its not too cold in the winter, it's always green, and we do not worry about UV paint damage....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If paint/dye doesn't work, maybe the parts can be wrapped with matte vinyl?
Like the faux carbon fibre wraps...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not some cars had brown bits from new, climate control unit etc, had my car from almost new, and some of the interior bits are brown.looked in a couple of other 993s at the time as though it must be wrong, or that my car had a odd batch of parts , but they were brown in the other 993s too, though it was strange when the dash etc is black, but it is certainly not uv light, although it may make it lighter over time, but was brown to start with.
Don't no why porsche did that and have never got a satisfactory answer for some bits being in brown
Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by d ward
Believe it or not some cars had brown bits from new, climate control unit etc, had my car from almost new, and some of the interior bits are brown.looked in a couple of other 993s at the time as though it must be wrong, or that my car had a odd batch of parts , but they were brown in the other 993s too, though it was strange when the dash etc is black, but it is certainly not uv light, although it may make it lighter over time, but was brown to start with.
Don't no why porsche did that and have never got a satisfactory answer for some bits being in brown
Im in the "not" group Im afraid. I know Exclusive department would do some strange things but brown plastic was never an option I have seen or heard of. However UV does a wonderful job on black plastic! Black is the only colour listed from Porsche
Old 08-26-2011, 07:49 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue. When the OP says it's "brown", I think he really mines it's slightly off black. Mines a cab, so I just thought it was UV damage. I'm surprised to read the post about his coming that way from new. I don't think the color was intended to be "brown" or could be ordered in that color from the factory, I just think the black fades or the color matching process may not have been that strictly adhered to.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:22 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I think the same, maybe something to do with the colour matching process, although it does seem to effect quite a few cars and would of thought quality control would of picked it up .
As ble2011 said its more of an off black than a brown, you have to look close to see it, but is certainly a hint if brown in it.
As i said, I saw the colour difference of the climate control unit etc on cars less than 8 months old, would be good to hear from anyone who has had their car from new and what colour theirs was when new and the colour now ?
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine were brown. I removed them and painted them black using a spray paint for plastic parts - I think I bought it from Home Depot. I used semi-gloss and put a couple of thin coats on the two consule pieces, the handbrake piece and the long air vent outlet at the front of the dash - be careful if you remove this piece as the screws like, nee, make every effort to leap from your fingers and fall into the dash. I think it turned out great and now they are black like everything else in the car.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive done two things. First you can just get some black leather dye and paint it. It is a good option if you have it already from a previous project. Second you can buy the face plate for $30 bucks from sunset. Second is much better in my opinion. When I was first asking about this someone said even new the parts came slightly brown. This is absolutely false. New parts are as black as the vinyl including the center console parts. Only way to get them looking like new is to buy new. It really makes the interior look much more updated and less dated.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

interesting to see how pervasive an issue it is. I did forget to post in my original that my car is a cab. Im sure it is UV related. I will check sunset but have a hunch that it will cost closer to the magic Porsche numbers ($500- $1000) to get all my brown parts back in black. After 7 P-cars, i have come to know too well that all the knick knack parts are always hovering around $500 to $1000. Just my funny little finding.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need to replace the whole unit, just the faceplate. You can find the part number in the catalog. The only expensive piece of the black plastic is the upper switch holder on the center console which runs $225. The rear cup tray and center console tray under the handbrake are probably in the range of $60-70 for both pieces. The lower center console tray I believe runs around $100. All in it would be max $500.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For some reason, the cars (mine included) with full leather seem to have true "black" plastic bits, whilst the standard interior cars do definitely have a "brown" hue to their plastic bits... It's especially noticable on the climate control panel and the small tray underneath the parking brake handle...

I remember discussing this very subject a long, long time ago right here on the Rennlist, and the consensus was that you had to have a full leather interior to have the black plastic bits... Not sure if that is actually the case, but it does jive with what I have observed.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

my full leather turbo has some brownish looking bits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior plastic parts