993 Forum 1995-1998

oil and other weird noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and other weird noises

Before the car is fully warmed up, I always hear oil noise when coming to a stop. I have read the thread about oil gurgling noise when starting up but not when coming to a stop. This isn't exactly gurgling noise either. The most accurate description is the sound of sipping from a straw from an almost empty ice drink
The oil noise is not there or less pronounce when the car is fully warm up. Is this normal? Anything to worry about?

And bear with me, the other weird noise I mentioned is a "bird chirping" noise around the steering wheel area while cruising (so the wheel is not turning). I though its just my head and it keeps coming back...this is the first time it has happen though Any idea?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hchc
Before the car is fully warmed up, I always hear oil noise when coming to a stop. I have read the thread about oil gurgling noise when starting up but not when coming to a stop. This isn't exactly gurgling noise either. The most accurate description is the sound of sipping from a straw from an almost empty ice drink
The oil noise is not there or less pronounce when the car is fully warm up. Is this normal? Anything to worry about?

And bear with me, the other weird noise I mentioned is a "bird chirping" noise around the steering wheel area while cruising (so the wheel is not turning). I though its just my head and it keeps coming back...this is the first time it has happen though Any idea?
Could the "bird chirping" be one of the A/C fan's squeaking? If it is from the fan you can access them by removing the A/C filters and putting a few drops (literally) just behind the fan on the motor shaft. I have used 2-3 drops of gear oil with great success.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Agreed....chirping is coming from the fan. Other sounds you hear when coming to a stop may be from fluid and it could also be the rear spoiler mechanism
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM
hchc
Instructor

Thanks. Would check into the a/c fan. I usually ran the fan on max under Texas heat so that might have drown out the chirping noise.

The fluid noise is not from the rear spoiler though because I couldn't hear it when operating it manually. So I take that oil "sipping" noise when stopping is not normal?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Squeak is probably the CCU (climate control unit):
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...-993-dash.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...y-ccu-fan.html

A gurgling noise is probably oil running from the oil tank in the right-rear fender up to the right front oil cooler. You say you hear it at startup, which I believe means your oil cooler thermostat is stuck open and is always pumping oil to the front oil cooler.

Some generic info on the system operation is here:
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Oil_Cooler_Fan

From that link, supporting my stuck open thermostat theory:
Expected behavior for a normally operating system:
* Oil cooler thermostat opens at about the first mark past warm-up (at approximately 188F).

At 87c/188F (per Bruce Anderson's hi-performance book) for a 964, 83c/181F for a 993 (per manual), the oil cooler thermostat opens and oil starts to flow to the cooler.

To verify that the oil cooler thermostat is passing oil to the cooler, simply feel the right-front fender (or wing) after the engine is warmed up. The fender should be noticeably warm to the touch. You may also hear a "gurgling" sound coming from the right-front fender, as oil flows through the cooler.

A RL search of "oil thermostat stuck open" yields support of my theory:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-start-up.html
BUT some other theories, so do the same search....
Also this was referred to as a noise at startup issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...m-and-fix.html

OK, back to work now....
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I have never heard this gurgling sound that everybody talks about...weird
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
hchc
Instructor

Keith, thanks for all the links. Actually I hear the gurgling when coming to a stop but not when starting up. But it seems like it could happen anytime while driving from reading the links so I'm at ease now

Quick Reply: oil and other weird noises