Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

9m93 Speedster S #3 - Prime Time viewing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 PM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Precedent.
Oh, yes! Exactly as i imagined! Perfect position for the rear badges
Old 08-08-2012, 06:23 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, you have to allow for the entire length of the two scripts and divide .. The bottom of the big S should line up with the bottom of the tail of the p in Speedster, I placed mine based on precedent and the scripts on the tach and thresholds:
It's details, but I do not completely agree. If you compare your S-placement to the an S-tach or factory installed 'Carrera S' script you will see there is a nice bit of margin below the a in Carrera script, but in your case the S would almost touch the a (in Carrera) and there for it should (in my opinion) be lowered vertically (so the S is vert-aligned with the small letters in Speedsters as it is correct to do in good typography) and placed slightly closer to 'r' similar to the distance of 'a' and S in the Carrera S script ... more or less like this:

[/URL]
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Appear appears to be correct. His placement looks the best to me.....
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by appear
It's details, but I do not completely agree. If you compare your S-placement to the an S-tach or factory installed 'Carrera S' script you will see there is a nice bit of margin below the a in Carrera script, but in your case the S would almost touch the a (in Carrera) and there for it should (in my opinion) be lowered vertically (so the S is vert-aligned with the small letters in Speedsters as it is correct to do in good typography) and placed slightly closer to 'r' similar to the distance of 'a' and S in the Carrera S script ... more or less like this:

[/URL]
Theoretically i agree with you, but there is a small "problem":

if you look at the last letters "a" at carrera and "r" at speedster you can see a big difference: the right edge of the badge at "a" is at the bottom, which fits perfectly in the curve of the "S". However at "r" the edge is at the top and it would touch the "S".

best would be, if i could position the "S" like the "carrera S" badge, so i have already asked Marc to remove them and we will re-position them together on Monday. I have to see it in real to make the final decission.

I would be happy if i could have the same look like on carpet embroidery but i'm afraid i have to create my own "S" badge to have this look. (The S should be about 10-15% bigger than the factory to have enough space for the "r")

In "worst case" i would like to have the look of my rev counter decal.
Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2012, 07:43 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Hi RP

I agree. That is why my suggestion was a compromize which consisted of aligning the S vertically (measured from the small letters in Speedster, which is what Porsche did with the original Carrera script) and achieving a similiar distance from the 'r' (Speedster) to the S, as in the a (Carrera) to the S. I think thats as close as you're going to get to factory look without modifying the S as shown in the embroidery on the mat. But please don't do that - looks a bit out of balance, and the S-shape looses some of it's dynamics in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

OK, OK, I get the message. Good grief!

Now, would all you opinionated onlookers who have nothing better to do than measure badges now care to come down here and tell Marc to move the badge?

I mean, it's not like he hasn't got enough on his plate repairing the erratic central locking module, rewiring the Hifi, fixing the door window (for the second time), getting the car MOT'd, taking the car for a dyno remap, fixing the rattle from the rear view mirror.......

Your call RP, should he finish the car or move the badge?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RP993
Theoretically i agree with you, but there is a small "problem":
if you look at the last letters "a" at carrera and "r" at speedster you can see a big difference: the right edge of the badge at "a" is at the bottom, which fits perfectly in the curve of the "S". However at "r" the edge is at the top and it would touch the "S".
Exactly. It's not the same relationships as the Carrera S badge. That is why I positioned mine to reflect what my Tach and sills looked like ... and Graham's car. That looks balanced to me, the other way looks bottom heavy.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the factory made two versions of this car, the Speedster and the Speedster S ?

Or is this turning into one of those special Rennlist short-bus threads about badges and sunshades and what color Porsche crest should be on your valve stem caps and how to prevent rust on your rotors when you wash your car?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NP993
So the factory made two versions of this car, the Speedster and the Speedster S ?
Yes they did. A narrow body and a (few) widebody's. Get on the bus or stop pointing at the special kids.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Exactly. It's not the same relationships as the Carrera S badge. That is why I positioned mine to reflect what my Tach and sills looked like ... and Graham's car. That looks balanced to me, the other way looks bottom heavy.
I just wanted to point out the factory (being germans and all) had a method to the placement based on basic principles of typography by going with vertical alignment. The rest is just basic kerning - should be the same regardless if the word ends on r or a - thats actually the fine art of producing a professional typeface to make sure it kerns correctly no matter what two letters are combined.

I didn't mean to start a sunshade-type discussion at all, but just wanted to point out the methodically (german) correct way
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by appear
I just wanted to point out the factory (being germans and all) had a method to the placement based on basic principles of typography by going with vertical alignment. The rest is just basic kerning - should be the same regardless if the word ends on r or a - thats actually the fine art of producing a professional typeface to make sure it kerns correctly no matter what two letters are combined.

I didn't mean to start a sunshade-type discussion at all, but just wanted to point out the methodically (german) correct way
No offense taken .. if that's what you meant. If you look at the C4S badge, it's got different positioning and the Cayenne S has it's own unique positioning as well .. I went for consistency and aesthetics and I suspect that's what the design team at Porsche does with each unique application, an opinion based on observations.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
I suspect that's what the design team at Porsche does with each unique application, an opinion based on observations.
Not sure you are right.

Cayenne S is 100% vert-aligned too.

The S in 4S is also a methodical placement, but this time vert-aligned around the '4' (theres an equal amount of S-swoosh above and below the '4'). Not how I would do it, but it seems they 'fixed' this on the 997 which is vert aligned around the Carrera script.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

We're way O.T. here .. sorry Colin .. I think Porsche design teams place the badge on a case by case basis:
Cayenne. distance and alignment don't look the same:

'09 Carrera S factory badge (Road and Track):

'11 Carrera S:
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

for those of us that don't get over to that side of the Pond as often as we would like, will the car be sent on a USA tour for us all to snap pics and critique the finer points of this badge placement?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Haha For the sake of this fine thread I think I'll park it here. Fantastic car RP, congrats!

Quick Reply: 9m93 Speedster S #3 - Prime Time viewing.