993 Forum 1995-1998

Need advice and opinions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Need advice and opinions!!!

So I've had a string of bad luck with the 993 in the last week. Last tuesday, while parked at work someone backs into the front of the car. Damage is minimal however the bumper needs to be resprayed due too scratches. The very bottom of the drivers side fender also has a little scuff in it that cannot be buffed out. Turns out, one of my coworkers did it with his Jimmy so it is covered under his insurance. Had his insurance estimator come out to figure out what to do. Turns out they are covering the bumper and drivers side fender. Perfect!!

Today, another one of my coworkers comes into my office and asks me if he can talk to me outside. WHen walking out, he mentions he bumped my back bumper. ARghhhhh!!! Again, very minor but will require paint. This sucks as the rear bumper was perfect.

My dilema however is this. Should I have my hood and passenger side fender repainted at the same time? The car is black and has its fair share of rock chips on the front. I'm worried about resale. What is the better scenario should I ever decide to sell:

- a car with numerous rock chips on the front (original paint) and a decent scuff in the bumper
- a car with a freshly painted front bumper and drivers side fender but original chipped paint on hood and passenger fender
-or a car with fresh paint on the hood, fenders and bumper.

Obviously, should I do the entire front I will have 3M clearbra applied to the whole front. The work will be done at a very reputable body shop here in Calgary so I'm not worried about the quality of the work!

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated!

Derek
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Shoot it all. It won't hurt the resale it will help it. Any 993 that's been driven is going to have the rock chips- as long as you have the documentation I would bet any buyer would be happy you did the work.

Also I'd park somewhere else. Your coworkers can't drive worth a sh**t.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

DO IT ALL! Not only will you save a ton of money. If you don't, all the other chips will stand out 100X more then before against the new paint.

IMHO, good paintwork for chips will not affect the cars value in a bad way.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Last Tuesday, while parked at work someone backs into the front of the car.

Today, another one of my coworkers comes into my office and asks me if he can talk to me outside. When walking out, he mentions he bumped my back bumper.
Where did these clowns get their licences...a box of Cracker Jacks?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM
jeff522
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes we worry to much about resale. When I buy a car like a Porsche its for the long hall, not to sell in a few years. I would have never sold my 964, if it had not been destroyed.I would paint it all. It will look much better if done right. And send you co-workers to remedial driving school, they need it.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
mjsorl
Advanced

Similar situation, except it was my wife, she liked the parking lot bumpers.
Had the front bumper painted and because of the age and the metallics it was not a good match, it was acceptable to everybody except those that knew. So I had the whole car done with the exception of the front trunk and the engine compartment, everything matches.
I wish when I had bought my car 95 cab I knew what I know now.

Mike S.
Windermere, FL
95 / 993 / c2 Cab aventurine green / tan / tan
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
dpowell
Rennlist Member

I have just recently gone through the same delima. My car is also black and only need a few quarter panels and wing painted but believe me that even though it is black - the difference will be easily seen 6 months after just spraying a few panels.

Do the whole thing but ask the guy to remove the mirrors, door handles, front emblem, and front glass and rear glass if possible. Merely taping around that stuff often doesn't look so good. I'm doing the whole car and can't wait to get it back! Resell is in another galaxy for me! Enjoy what you have and make it better!

Drew
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest documenting the damage with photos etc... But the question is always - where do you stop painting.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Paint everything forward of the windshield, delete front bumperettes (minimal cost to you during such a repair), repair/paint rear bumper (you could also delete the rear bumperettes at this time if that's your preference.....with our "smaller" North American plates, I like the bumperettes). Then buy an old Chevette for work duties.....your coworkers driving abilities scare me.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Where did these clowns get their licences...a box of Cracker Jacks?

No, judging from the location of the OP, the clowns got their licenses in Canada.

OP: my opinion is document with pictures, and then it will either have no effect or increase value...
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I agree with the photos and documentation. Document with pics before, during, and after. And have all the corresponding paperwork. The next buyer will be impressed that you have everything on the table when it comes to resale. Plus you get the benefit of a nice looking car to drive while you own it.

But don't skimp on the cost and quality of the repair and paint work!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for the words of advice. I'm definately not respraying the entire car however have decided I will do everything from the windshield forward. I really don't think I will get rid of the bumperettes as they really don't bother me. I'm just hoping the paint will match well from the front fenders to the doors as I cann't stand when you can see the difference in paint!

Quick Reply: Need advice and opinions!!!