funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post a sound clip
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 PM
MDamen
Pro

How do these compare to Fister IIIs? Those are current benchmark of sound perfection.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
camlob
Pro

Great craftmanship! It certainly will make the gas flow more efficient. How does it feel in terms of hp compared to your old supercups?

Richard Clewett told me to get straight pipes to free up my exhaust. He says its the limiting factor to my build.

So your exhaust is giving me ideas!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This service will be offered to those interested. I do not intend to step on Darin Fister's toes here so I have to be careful. Still working out pricing but for supplied mufflers but if anyone else is interested we are looking at pricing around $400 for the modification (Split, Ebows and perf section) another $100 or so for the internal cross tube if cans are already split) and an hourly rate to polish. (outsourced but runs around $250 for a decent condition starting point)

If anyone is interested, feel free to drop me a line. I will not promote this too much out of respect for FD Motorsports, but we are in Charlotte, so there may be advantages to the East Coast members.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Curious - who is the 'we'?

And yes, I wish I could wave a wand and have my mufflers look like that.

Andreas
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
This service will be offered to those interested. I do not intend to step on Darin Fister's toes here so I have to be careful. Still working out pricing but for supplied mufflers but if anyone else is interested we are looking at pricing around $400 for the modification (Split, Ebows and perf section) another $100 or so for the internal cross tube if cans are already split) and an hourly rate to polish. (outsourced but runs around $250 for a decent condition starting point)

If anyone is interested, feel free to drop me a line. I will not promote this too much out of respect for FD Motorsports, but we are in Charlotte, so there may be advantages to the East Coast members.
So how exactly does this not step on Fister's toes? Fister pays to be a sponsor and you are not. Seems pretty lame to ask Darin advice on modifying mufflers, then selling the mod here.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
So how exactly does this not step on Fister's toes? Fister pays to be a sponsor and you are not. Seems pretty lame to ask Darin advice on modifying mufflers, then selling the mod here.
Very well. I was afraid someone would look at it this way. Advice asked of Darin was to make sure internal work done was not the same. I wanted to explore something else out of curiosity. No dyno numbers, no sound bytes, just personal opinion and theory to offer to others interested in the design principal.
Another difference is this was an offer for service local East Coast people who may not want to ship their mufflers to the other side of the country and be without them for a long time. This is also intended to be for Rennlist 993 owners only- We do not have the resources or desire to explore on other cars other than what we personally own. (Fiat 500 exhaust may be in the works once we create a design we like)
Lastly, this was a service provided at cost. Materials, hourly rate of fabricator, and hourly rate of polishing. "We" are simply an Industrial Designer (myself) and a very good fabricator who works a day job at a very reputable shops that support motorsports and custom car builds here in Charlotte.

If my logic and reasoning is flawed, than apologies. I have no intention of taking business from a very good guy. With that said, it is probably better to keep this to myself.

Oddly enough, not one person has complained about another member deciding to take my request to fabricate a jack point prototype, call it his own and market it on here. Curious world.

Happy Motoring.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Spidey 993

I think there are two levels here:

First, it was your muffler, you can do what the heck you want to it. Very interesting post to understand the internal workings and how you made it "your own".

Second, is now your selling it which takes the intellectual property you learned from Darin at FD, and now could profit from it.

No matter how you dance around it, call it a tomatoe but not a tomato, your now selling a product that competes with FD. I call a spade a spade, and I see the direct conflict of interest unless you and Darin have an arrangement, and he can now profit from the knowledge he passed on to you.At the end of the day, I think you may get some negative feedback now that you have taken it to the next level.

Also, when Darin helped you out originally, I'm sure you said to him this was for your personal use, correct?

Last edited by Spidey 993; 03-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, beautiful work. Just in the process of detailing the engine on my car. Can you share the process of polishing? I plan to stick with the stock setup.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey 993
I think there are two levels here:

First, it was your muffler, you can do what the heck you want to it. Very interesting post to understand the internal workings and how you made it "your own".

Second, is now your selling it which takes the intellectual property you learned from Darin at FD, and now could profit from it.

No matter how you dance around it, call it a tomatoe but not a tomato, your now selling a product that competes with FD. I call a spade a spade, and I see the direct conflict of interest unless you and Darin have an arrangement, and he can now profit from the knowledge he passed on to you.At the end of the day, I think you may get some negative feedback now that you have taken it to the next level.

Also, when Darin helped you out originally, I'm sure you said to him this was for your personal use, correct?
Please read the post made above yours. -And no. There is no way I am ever selling mine.

However just to clarify, I did order some wide ovals, got them and ended up sending them back for personal picky reasons. Darin understands. Does this mean if I have a set of tips made on my own that I like, that I should not morally offer the same sources I used to others who are interested? Do they have to be square or triangular? C'mon. I have already shared this is not a "for profit" situation, just a service I was going to offer others at cost. Now, is not worth the time and hassle if anyone here objects. I value my relatonship with the PC, Rennlist members and community so I will keep the photos of the process and idea for others to do on their own...unless one of you object to that as well?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Spidey 993

So, I build computers for a one of the largest computer companies in the world.

Every document I read, website I visit, person I talk to about our next build is documented. If my end product resembles anything like any one of those conversations, documents, or online articles, and not my own, I must disclaim that, lawyers get involved, and end up paying royalties to others intellectual creativity and design.
Some of those end products we don't charge for, but the other company does. That causes us to pay them for their loss of revenue.

Honestly, it's none of my business. Do what you may. I don't think your a bad person, and my point was clear. Since Darin helped you in your initial design, and now your reselling for a profit or not, takes "potential" money off the plate of FD. That is the way it looks to us common folk.

If I'm wrong (could be, I'm not a lawyer), I will delete my posts.

Update: Common folk = me, not the implied us or we.

Last edited by Spidey 993; 03-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Holger made aluminum trim rings that he sold here many years ago. He stopped making them, Chris had the know how and now provides them.

I don't think there was any exchange of IP between Holger and Chris, but is this any different?

Other than RS and Darin himself, I don't think any of can make any assumptions regarding what was exchanged, and under what context.

maybe I should just stay out of this.....
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Spidey 993

Like I said Kika, I don't know the details, conversations, or arrangements between Darin and him. It may be A-ok with Darin.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

The truth is in the sound clip. Can't wait.

Ken
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If sanctioned by Darin or Mark then no problems. Unlike the rings FD still actively sell their muffler mods so the situation isn't really comparable. If the designs are significantly different then I don't see a problem with RS selling his mods on RL. Robin Sun was one of the first to produce a modded muffler but no one has said FDM have trod on his toes. Guess we will need to wait to hear what the FD guys have to say.

Some sound bytes are an excellent suggestion......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Muffler overhaul.