Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 transformation - details and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous job, Matt. Makes me miss my 993, but I know I'll have another in my stable one of these years.

Now all you need are some ERP bits
Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I've seen Matt's car a couple of times, last time being a month ago. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks new. It's a great car and shows the dedication Matt and Nat have put into it. Truly an amazing example!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the way the RS door handle is done. My plastic cover keeps on popping out. What hex bolt size did you use? Did you have to put in new nutsert?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool!!! my kind of mods
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking. Thanks for the post. Lots of useful information.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Observations, Part II:

RS style CF heater blower bypass:

This part was from Rennline, purchased two years ago during a X-Mas 15% off sale. Nicely finished carbon fibre piece. I do not drive my car in the snow and cold, so more heat is not necessary - the bypass tube still delivers plenty.

Primary motivation was to free up some space in the cramped engine bay, which it does nicely. That said, you have all manner of brackets remaining where the heater blower used to be, so barring a full engine drop and tidy-up, it will never look like a completely clean finished product.

I was disappointed with the fitment of this particular part. I am not a DIY god (actually, I am liable to break as much as I successfully try to fix), so I entrusted this to my mechanic. What should have been a 20 minute install led to at least an hour of billable frustration trying to mate the bottom angle. Even using the correct 964 shroud, it just doesn’t fit right. I took the car home with it half seated at inlet above the fan. Nice reminder every time you open the deck lid.

I finally got fed up and took it apart and tried to wiggle it together myself properly. Sure enough the angle is in fact off, and after at least 90 minutes of fiddling and swearing, it was properly installed on both ends. But the fitment is sufficiently off (1/2 inch?) that the rubber fan shroud is now bent/contorted to accommodate.

Repeat lesson #1 learned above – Aftermarket often just does not fit quite right, no matter how good the reviews or how reputable the vendor.

If I were to do it again, I would just get the factory part. I figured, why not get carbon fibre for the same $. Now I know why.

DAS roll bar:

This part was from fellow Rennlister extraordinaire Jdistefa (Matt). Part was used, powdercoated, and fits. As you can tell, it’s a well made and robust piece that can be installed with minimal manageable fanfare. A strong recommendation to order brand new bolts and installation hardware. Things went just that much smoother. I also feel better about using new fasteners on a safety device.

Radio Delete:

A $3 “upgrade”, and I love it. Fills the radio slot, and when combined with the right exhaust mod, the radio is something I don’t miss a bit.

That’s it for now. Will report back with a description of the seats, harnesses and body kit.

Cheers!

Matt
Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by early_grayce
Gorgeous job, Matt. Makes me miss my 993, but I know I'll have another in my stable one of these years.

Now all you need are some ERP bits
Been trying to avoid you until all was sold. Can't resist that much longer!

Originally Posted by ilko
I've seen Matt's car a couple of times, last time being a month ago. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks new. It's a great car and shows the dedication Matt and Nat have put into it. Truly an amazing example!
Originally Posted by DJF1
Very cool!!! my kind of mods
Very kind - thank you gents!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axl911
I love the way the RS door handle is done. My plastic cover keeps on popping out. What hex bolt size did you use? Did you have to put in new nutsert?
The handle itself (covered in leather) and the anodized attachment covers w/hex bolts are from Appbiz as an available upgrade. They came with all required reciprocal hardware.

I have to say, they really make a difference. They really are quality pieces.

Best,

Matt
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 225 Posts

Great mods Matt. Car is coming together nicely.
Bill.....I love your car.

I am on the hunt for a 993. When I procure the right car I will post a similar thread of mods. Until then I will haul my 997 to the track and kill some time.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Observations Part IV:

GT3 Euro Seats

Acquired from a fellow lister 3 years ago (at the time, service manager at Braman in WPB), these lovelies are fantastic for a dual use car. In leather they look great and are quite supportive for track use. Similar in build to a Pole Position, they fit snug for me (‘cause I am a fattie), but once I’m in, I’M IN.

Pricey, but worth it.

Caveats:

1. They are warm on hot day when compared to fabric track seats.
2. Also, they sit a bit high if you have a long torso. I am 6 1”, with 30/32 pant length. My helmet is right near the headliner, even removing the seat cushions on track. This is even with the expensive BK/Recaro slider setup – modding 996 rails would have been even worse (higher).

Speaking of pricey, wait till you cost the assorted bits to mount them on sliders, with sub bars and the clips required to retain the stock 3-point belts. Credit goes to Rennlister e9stibi for sorting out and posting his parts list and pictorial how-to. No need to relist all the part numbers required (Recaro for sliders, Brey Krause for sidemounts, sub bars and belt hardware). Thanks to Mark and Darin for sourcing these parts for me.

The final piece of the puzzle is the harness. I ordered the Hans-specific Profi-II Hybrid for the driver side, non-Hans version for the passenger. This model has a better sub belt mounting system with the ends simply hooked over the side belts. Mucho comfy. Also, the 2” shoulder straps fit the HANS perfectly without slippage. Thanks to Linda a APEX performance – great service and a Rennlist discount to boot.

And yet one more comment on aftermarket fitment: as many know, the 993 seat install is often a PITA to fit right. It’s all buttoned up now, but my quality Recaro sliders are still very stiff – if you are not IN the seat, it’s painfully stiff to slide them freely/properly.

Hope this is helpful to the brethren!

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: 993 transformation - details and pictures