993 Forum 1995-1998

The Quest for Anti-Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Quest for Anti-Horsepower

So I put the cat/stock mufflers back on the yellow car in advance of maybe getting the car street licensed again. That, and I sorta have an interested party who'd want it as a street car. But a quickie "Sports and Exotics" day at Thunderhill popped up, and with a mid-80's day, it was worth a trip up to instruct and get a few laps in. Net result? Either 1 or 2 mph loss of trap speed before braking into T1. Verified off of same exit speed as 3 weeks ago with the crappy tires. (Ultimate lap times were quite good, considering I used some new, but 6 year old, Hoosiers that were destined for the dumpster. About 1.5 sec off my personal best with the car, ever.)

Exhaust I had been using was cat bypasses + Fabspeed mufflers of some sort.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

No surprises,....

The OEM system really ain't bad at all and one needs to go to great lengths to make appreciable gains. At that juncture, its no longer legal (nor desirable) for street use. I have a race system that adds good power on these things, however its too resonant in the cabin for the road,.......
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny how the factory does a really good job of maximizing power with the underlying need to warrant (whether or not within an actual warranty period) reliability and drivability. (But we wouldn't say similar about a thermal reactor equipped 2.7L or early US-spec 930 , would we?)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Funny how the factory does a really good job of maximizing power with the underlying need to warrant (whether or not within an actual warranty period) reliability and drivability. (But we wouldn't say similar about a thermal reactor equipped 2.7L or early US-spec 930 , would we?)
Nossir,..with the exception of the '74 2.7, those mid-year car exhausts were not Porsche's finest hour,....

Quick Reply: The Quest for Anti-Horsepower