993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake Wear Indicator Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Wear Indicator Wiring

Today I decided to investigate why my brake pad light has been on despite having good pads. Earlier I had removed all the wheels and checked for continuity on each of the sensors; everything was good so I put it back together and did some more research. I have checked the brake fluid level - when the cap is loose a separate "BRAKE" warning light appears, so that isn't it. I pulled off the LF wheel and started poking around with the wiring coming out of the sensor connector. I was very excited to see that there was some electrical tape and 2 broken wires that had previously been spliced together. One wire is green with a brown stripe and the other looks like it is straight brown. I figured this was the problem, so to confirm I tied them together and started the car - light still on.
Next I checked for continuity between the sensor side of the broken wire and the prongs inside of the connector, figuring this will tell me if the broken wire leads to the sensor or not. Nothing. So the wiring harness has a brown/green, brown, brown/black, brown/white, and brown/blue. I checked the wiring harness (attached) and it looks like the sensor wires are brown/black and brown/green. OK, so the broken brown/green wire should make the warning light trip. But why doesn't it trace back through the connector to the actual sensor? Do these connectors go bad? The end with the single wire didn't seem like it came apart but I could be wrong. Anyone have any experience with this circuit?

Many Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Adam,

I'd start by pulling the sensor wires out at the cylindrical connector blocks and checking with an Ohmmeter if all 4 are continuous. If any one of the four is open, it will trip the alarm.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Paul. I have checked all of the actual sensors and they all measured OK. My big mystery is why I don't have continuity from the male prong in the cylindrical connector to the broken brown / green and brown / black wires.

Quick Reply: Brake Wear Indicator Wiring