Notices

How To Jack Up A 993

Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a solution to raise the vehicle sufficiently to get additional jack clearance. Four of these were fabricated with finished 1"x10" boards (3/4"x9-1/4") x 24" long. They effectively give you an additional 1-1/2" clearance. With 3M anti-skid material on the bottom, they stay in place as you drive onto them and, when stored, the four ramps nestle into a very small package.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
JB 911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
I must admit that in the past I have changed wheels using just the floor jack, no jack stand. That's never going to happen again, but hopefully the jack point stands will make easy work of it.
Fox, I have no safety concerns with changing wheels without a jackstand. But I never get under the car when on Jack only. Even something marginal like changing mufflers where you are 'mostly' out, I put it on stands in the back. I guess to be safe, there can be no marginal.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Foxman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT View Post
Here's a solution to raise the vehicle sufficiently to get additional jack clearance. Four of these were fabricated with finished 1"x10" boards (3/4"x9-1/4") x 24" long. They effectively give you an additional 1-1/2" clearance. With 3M anti-skid material on the bottom, they stay in place as you drive onto them and, when stored, the four ramps nestle into a very small package.
Yup - Great suggestion from a true trackrat! Funny because Jackpoint Jack Stand is basically telling me the same thing, and just drive the front tire onto a crude 2X6 to get a little extra height. I like your fabrication a lot more, and so will my rims. The theory is that once one of the corners are up, there should be enough clearance for the rest.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nobody uses this method? (-:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  315.2 KB
Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 PM
vnelson
New User

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie and saw Cactus' post about jacking up the rear by the engine. I thought I remembered reading about this in my owner's manual and sure enough, there is a fairly direct warning against it. Of course, I'd prefer to jack up the rear end by the engine because it's easier and more secure. Is the manual wrong on this?
Thanks,
Vince

Old 04-26-2018, 03:50 PM
e9stibi
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vnelson View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a newbie and saw Cactus' post about jacking up the rear by the engine. I thought I remembered reading about this in my owner's manual and sure enough, there is a fairly direct warning against it. Of course, I'd prefer to jack up the rear end by the engine because it's easier and more secure. Is the manual wrong on this?
Thanks,
Vince

I am not sure if the manual is wrong but I have done it plenty of times for my 993s and knows from my buddies that it is common practice and I have never heart about an issue.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 PM
davesnothere
Addict
Rennlist Member

Based on the experiences of a bunch of guys on the internet, I would (and have) jacked my car up using the engine as a lift point. If something were to go wrong, would I feel that it was Porsche's problem and not mine? Of course not.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Leander
Addict
Rennlist Member

I never feel comfortable jacking it up from the engine. I'm probably going to get one of those attachments that used to be a combo jack point and tow ring.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:11 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vnelson View Post
Thanks,
Vince

I have only ever jacked my car from the engine....probably 100+ times in 11 years and my engine has not fallen out yet. Think yer good!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

I also notice the pix are down yet again. I give up on posting pictures on forums.....
Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM
synth19
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT View Post
The anti-skid material is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of this before!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:34 PM
bobbyp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I also notice the pix are down yet again. I give up on posting pictures on forums.....
Hey Cactus,
Your excellent pictures are still on your redux thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...993-redux.html

ANYBODY WHO WANTS TO POST ABOUT JACKING UP A 993 SHOULD POST THERE!!

Maybe the admins can lock/merge/redirect this thread?????
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
Hey Cactus,
Your excellent pictures are still on your redux thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...993-redux.html

ANYBODY WHO WANTS TO POST ABOUT JACKING UP A 993 SHOULD POST THERE!!

Maybe the admins can lock/merge/redirect this thread?????
I thought I made another one but couldnĺt find it on search. Getting sloppy in my old age....
Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi View Post
I have never heart about an issue.
The rubber bladder internal to the hydraulic motor mounts will either tear or separate and then leak. Its not really a question of if but when.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 AM
Nautilus
User

I've seen mechanics jacking up 911s using the engine several times in different historic rallies I have attended. I've seen also a few pictures on the web showing this kind of thing; have a look for example here:
https://petrolicious.com/articles/th...ion-of-porsche

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Jack Up A 993

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: