Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Advice on getting crank pulley off

Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Advice on getting crank pulley off

About to pull the trigger on the Porsche tool for this, but before I do, anyone got a sure fire way of doing this? Anyone made a custom tool that worked? If you used a rattle gun, what type did you use and what specs - perhaps I could hire one.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Ken
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to get it out with an el chepo Harbor Freight Electric 250 ft-lb impact gun. If in the car, I would just put it in 5th gear and pull the handbrake. Also grab the belt connected to the crank pulley to prevent any movement. If engine is out of car, simply lock/chock the flywheel.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told an impact gun could work, but I was also warned that the peg on the back of the pully could brake off costing quiet a bit of money to replace the pulley. So went with the baum tools version #9548 http://www.baumtools.com/pdf/porsche_timing_tools.pdf
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply boys.
The engine mounts and bracket are off and the engine is slightly lowered to give access.

Axl - 250 ft/lb electric impact gun did the job hey. I have a tiptronic - would I be putting the tranmission into park or in neutral? I was going to head out and buy an impact gun, but have a feeling that I would buy it and it would end up not getting the nut off. Which is why I'm thinking of just getting the #9548 tool.

Nollie - with the tool, are you able to use it with the engine lowered but still in the engine bay? Did you end up also using a pretty decent breaker bar to get the nut off?

Cheers
Ken
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Thanks for the reply boys.
The engine mounts and bracket are off and the engine is slightly lowered to give access.

Axl - 250 ft/lb electric impact gun did the job hey. I have a tiptronic - would I be putting the tranmission into park or in neutral? I was going to head out and buy an impact gun, but have a feeling that I would buy it and it would end up not getting the nut off. Which is why I'm thinking of just getting the #9548 tool.

Nollie - with the tool, are you able to use it with the engine lowered but still in the engine bay? Did you end up also using a pretty decent breaker bar to get the nut off?

Cheers
Ken
I don't know what would lock the crank for a Tiptronic...my guess would be in gear.

Really, the purpose of locking the flywheel (or parking brake /w gear engaged) is to prevent movement of the crank which may cause a jump in the timing chain. That is the reason why I used some sort of impact tool rather than a breaker bar when removing the pulley bolt with the engine in the car. With an impact, the forces are high but brief. Doesn't cause the crank to rotate counter clockwise which is BAD!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Happy days - got the nut off today.
I hired a Bosch 6905B impact wrench. It is rated at 220 ft/lb. Cost for 4 hours hire was $35.
I had to take the bumper off and all the metal behind that as well. Relatively simple but time consuming.
I also used a butane gas fire gun and a hammer in the process.

So the process was impact wrench - fire - hammer - impact wrench - fire - hammer - impact wrench - and off came the nut.

I think the impact gun method is pretty good - don't see how it can cause damage to anything. Nothing seemed to move - and when the nut let go - it turned ever so slightly.

Anyway - the project can go on and hope the above process helps others out.

Thanks guys

Last edited by haygeebaby; 07-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic. The special tool was $150 and delivery to Aus was going to be $200.
Glad impact gun worked.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 07-14-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
axl911
Drifting

Congratulation!!! What are you doing that requires the crank pulley removal?

Also, while you have the engine dropped....I would at least do the spark plugs AND the distributor belt.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

To me personally, the worst thing to use is an impact gun to remove the crank pulley.
unless you freeze the crankshaft, which you will not, you will deteriorate the cam chains.
I have the above, 6kg/ 1 meter Porsche tool, huge sucker can only be used with 4 hands.

Now that the pulley is out, to put back in is another story.
Just behind the pulley, there is an oil seal with a 1 cm groove at 12 o'clock.
Some people trying to block the pulley, through the two holes in it, leverage on the oil seal lip behind at 12 o'clock.
If you do this, you risk throwing away the engine case, thus engine.
Do not try to block pulley through the two holes in it whilst installing
No impact gun, no hammer.
There are Chinese oil filter wrenches in the form of a handle and a chain. Block the pulley with this and tighten the bolt.
GoodLuck
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
axl911
Drifting

I agree either with a breaker or an impact gun, you have to lock the crankshaft. I did this several months ago by putting the car in gear and pulling the hand brake. When using the impact, I also used my free hand on the pulley to feel and prevent any twisting by the impact gun, and there was none.

Worst thing you can do is put a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut. The impact gun may transfer brief impacts to the crank+chain. But the breaker bar will transfer all that force to the chain unless you lock the flywheel.

Originally Posted by geolab
To me personally, the worst thing to use is an impact gun to remove the crank pulley.
unless you freeze the crankshaft, which you will not, you will deteriorate the cam chains.
I have the above, 6kg/ 1 meter Porsche tool, huge sucker can only be used with 4 hands.

Now that the pulley is out, to put back in is another story.
Just behind the pulley, there is an oil seal with a 1 cm groove at 12 o'clock.
Some people trying to block the pulley, through the two holes in it, leverage on the oil seal lip behind at 12 o'clock.
If you do this, you risk throwing away the engine case, thus engine.
Do not try to block pulley through the two holes in it whilst installing
No impact gun, no hammer.
There are Chinese oil filter wrenches in the form of a handle and a chain. Block the pulley with this and tighten the bolt.
GoodLuck
Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

TPC SC install - will post a new thread about the project so stay tuned.
Regards
Ken
Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
TPC SC install - will post a new thread about the project so stay tuned.
Regards
Ken
Yeah!!!!

Make sure you replace that distributor belt! The TPC air duct cover will prevent you from removing the dist once in place. If the belt snap, it could be big problem with the super charger installed.

Also, use loc tite when installing that new crank pulley. You don't want it coming loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on getting crank pulley off