993 Forum 1995-1998

LED Bulbs all around

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Bulbs all around

Hi, i was wondering if all the bulbs on the exterior of the car, except the headlights, could be changed to LEDs. I ask because i just changed my Daytime Running Lights to LEDs, and they make the rest of the lights look old and dim. (Thanks Paul K)

I searched Rennlist and Google, but i couldn't get a clear answer, i want to change the Fog Lights, the Front Indicators, the Brake Lights, and the Reverse Lights.
I don't think I have missed any of them?

:edit:
Also if someone has a chart or diagram of what bulbs are what sizes, that would be great, I am not familiar enough with bulb sizes just to look at the bulb and know. Maybe this is in the manual, but my car didn't come with one?

Also, can you replace your standard headlight bulbs with xenons with out any changes, i.e. just change the bulb like you would with a normal bulb? I'm pretty sure you can, just want to make sure.

Does anyone else seem to think that the stock headlights don't project light as far as they should?

Last edited by bosch's993; 07-06-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Addition question/request
Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi There. I just purchased the entire set of external LED lights to replace the bulbs. I havent fitted them yet but Alan teh owner of aceparts in the uk is a 993TT owner on these boards and has tried them. hes the vendor. I got front indicators, rear indicators, side repeaters (you wont need these in the US), rear fog lights (not sure if you need these in the US) rear brake lights and rear park lights for $150 usd shipped. This includes the relay you need to operate the LED lights. Look up aceparts on google and send him an email....

Cheers

M
Old 07-05-2011, 06:25 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi There. I just purchased the entire set of external LED lights to replace the bulbs. I havent fitted them yet but Alan teh owner of aceparts in the uk is a 993TT owner on these boards and has tried them. hes the vendor. I got front indicators, rear indicators, side repeaters (you wont need these in the US), rear fog lights (not sure if you need these in the US) rear brake lights and rear park lights for $150 usd shipped. This includes the relay you need to operate the LED lights. Look up aceparts on google and send him an email....

Cheers

M
I saw aceparts.com on one of the threads i searched, but the website says they only ship to the UK? Where do you put the relay, on the stock fuse box? What is it for, just because the LEDs use less power?

And i don't have rear fog's in my car so i won't need either of those. I have seen some LEDs on fleabay from $2-$5, is there a difference in quality, besides the number of LEDs per light, because some of the eBay ones have 26 LEDs per light.

Maybe you could point me to his profile on here, or his Email address? Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi. email hi direct on addy below. Mention the Kiwi guy sent you - hell ship USA. Relay becuase LEDs have diff resistance and need them or flash too fast. No idea where its fitted but he will send instructions. You can hunt for hrs and buy the wrong brightness or fitment. ive done this before so saved time and hassle with ACE, Havent recieved mine yet but will report once I have....

M
Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi. email hi direct on addy below.

M
I'm sorry, but who do I email, that makes no sense to me? hahaha sorry
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

ooops...email him on address below

alan@aceparts.com

M
Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

Ok, I shot him an E-Mail, any idea about what size the bulbs are?

And how are those HIDs working out, was thinking of doing them, but the xenon's seem so much more cost effective?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bosch's993

And how are those HIDs working out, was thinking of doing them, but the xenon's seem so much more cost effective?
HID = xenon

In answer to your question, replacing the standard halogen bulb with a xenon bulb is not just a bulb swap. You'll also need the ballast, etc. You can buy inexpensive kits from various online sources; search the forum for details. My personal preference is a bulb with a color temperature in the 4300 K range - similar to halogens. HID bulbs are a desirable, common upgrade. Best to use a slim ballast design so that everything fits inside the headlight housing.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

Is this what I need? It says the 55w is about an inch longer. Is that a problem fitment wise?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also used the DDtuning kit. Save a few bucks and buy the standard kit not the Porsche kit. All you have to do is a slight modification of one plug and it work fine. I found the 4300K 35 watt were plenty bright, I dont know if the 55 may be to bright for the street, blinding oncoming traffic. You could also use a kit for your fog lights.
Al Z
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
bosch's993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Al Z
I also used the DDtuning kit. Save a few bucks and buy the standard kit not the Porsche kit. All you have to do is a slight modification of one plug and it work fine. I found the 4300K 35 watt were plenty bright, I dont know if the 55 may be to bright for the street, blinding oncoming traffic. You could also use a kit for your fog lights.
Al Z
I only saw the one I posted a link for, is that the porsche one?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

We're rolling with 55's and have experienced no adverse reaction from on-coming traffic. It lights up the road which give me a greater sense of safety since I can see stuff before I run over it lol
Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

BTW: OP: please let us know which bulbs he specified for which use. There are so many on his website, don't know which is which. TIA
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM
bosch's993
Instructor

The fog lights are h3 halogens, not sure on the other ones, I'd wait till he replies tho.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPA
HID = xenon
Actually that's not quite correct. Modern filament bulbs are filled with xenon gas to prolong life and increase light output. HID, or High Intensity Discharge bulbs, whilst often filled with xenon gas, don't use a heated filament to produce light, they rely on an 'arc' created between the poles.

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs all around