Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wheel rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't stand chrome wheels unless they are wire wheels, and then on a proper car ie: any British sports car, a vintage Ferrari or Maser. They would look silly on a Porsche or Mercedes just as disc wheels on an E-Type look just awful. But if we all agreed about everything we would be fighting over the same woman..All generalizations are wrong including this one....Cheers.....Chris
Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Try 'CROME'. Plenty of classic bytes and great for a laugh.
agreed...but, two wrongs don't make a right.

pickerhead out
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, chrome looks great on wire wheels but not on regular wheels. You do see more chrome wheels in LA for some reason and as a former LA resident I always speculated that it's partly about the bling but also because chrome wheels are easier to keep clean (brake dust doesn't stick to it as easily). Nice cars in LA are usually pretty well kept up and tend to stay that way because of the good climate so wheels that stay clean are a plus......or at least that's my theory.

As to chroming weakening wheels I think that used to be true but is less true today. Way back when racing cars always had painted wire wheels because chroming weakened the spokes, in fact Rolls Royce refused to offer chrome wire wheels on their cars. A properly restored Roller, MGA or TR4 has painted, not chromed wire wheels. Even Ferrari used polished, not chromed, Borranis. Now a days metals are better so chroming is not really a problem from what I understand, especially on regular wheels.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

my experience with chrome wheels was poor. my car came with chrome twists and the chrome was delaminating and caused leaks from day one. I promptly had the wheels bead blasted and painted and sold them as I found the MY02s that I preferred. besides not liking the looks I think chrome is a crappy material for something like a wheel that gets a fair amount of abuse in normal use. Just my 2 cents!!

Quick Reply: Wheel rant