Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   OT Porsche Palooza Nov. 11 - 13, 2011 OT (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/641187-ot-porsche-palooza-nov-11-13-2011-ot.html)

RJT 06-26-2011 08:48 PM

OT Porsche Palooza Nov. 11 - 13, 2011 OT

CAN'T WAIT till the Palooza this year.

Who's already planning on going up? It will be here before you know it. Time surely does fly!

We just got back a few hours ago from a weekend get away in Eureka Springs and I started thinking about this years PorschePalooza on the drive home. How many of you from Lower Arkansas and Dallas (and elsewhere) have taken Hwy 21 to the event from the I-40? WOW. If you think the Pigs trail is great..... you have GOT to drive Hwy 21. We drove the Pigs Trail on the way up and after the snows and rains this year it is really rough in patches. On the way home we came down 21. Only one rough patch. All Robert kept saying was he wished we were in the Porsche. He wished we were in the Porsche.... What a GREAT Porsche road.....

As for the Pigs Trail..... It was my first trip on it on Friday and honestly, maybe it was all the hype about it being all twisties and all, but I was a little disappointed. Not that it's not a great road, because it IS a great road (FIX IT AR DOT!!!!), but I was expecting a Little Tail of the Dragon and it doesn't even come close. Maybe my definition of Twisties is tighter than most, I'm weird that way. :) Maybe it's just we've driven on so many GREAT roads here in Arkansas there are too many to chose from so, at least to, me The Pigs trail doesn't stand out as better than most of the others. My favortire still stands are Hwy 7 from Blue Springs all the way up to Harrison. LOVE IT.

NightFlyer 06-26-2011 09:35 PM

I'll be there! It's one of my favorite events of the year and hopefully it will be here before we know it.

curve lover 06-26-2011 10:21 PM

Gyeesh, Jo, I can't believe how far in advance you plan. I'm impressed, but you scared me that I'd already missed Oct's Rennsport Reunion! ;) Being the average guy, I rarely schedule that far in advance. If I've got the right website, you're even ahead of the organizers, who advertise their 2010 event as of this writing.

However, I mentioned to a RLer that I would be in southeast US this fall, & he quickly pointed out I'll be closer to you, which reminded me of the Palooza. I was just hunting its details down last week, seeing if it would work this year.

Edit: Argh. Just got back from MapQuest, etc.: looks like the 'closer' drive is still ~10 hours to Eureka Springs.
From CO, it's something like an 11-hour drive.
:banghead:

Anywho, the Palooza's the next great PCA gathering I've never been to & hope to rectify that. Your enthusiasm in threads like this make it seem a ton of fun.
Maybe this is the year to return to Arkinsaw; I have lots of happy memories of PCA friends & the roads when I owned a P-car there ...back before the first Palooza.

Slow Guy 06-26-2011 10:55 PM

I was just talking about Palooza with Hummel (JHummel68) and Mike (Arena993) on Sat. We're all planning on going (this will be their first and my 3rd). I usually hook up with Chuck S. and friends just inside the Ark. state line and meet a bunch of others at Whole Hog for lunch. Look forward to it, great event!

RJT 06-26-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by curve lover (Post 8667429)
Gyeesh, Jo, I can't believe how far in advance you plan. I'm impressed, but you scared me that I'd already missed Oct's Rennsport Reunion! ;) Being the average guy, I rarely schedule that far in advance. If I've got the right website, you're even ahead of the organizers, who advertise their 2010 event as of this writing.

However, I mentioned to a RLer that I would be in southeast US this fall, & he quickly pointed out I'll be closer to you, which reminded me of the Palooza. I was just hunting its details down last week, seeing if it would work this year.

Edit: Argh. Just got back from MapQuest, etc.: looks like the 'closer' drive is still ~10 hours to Eureka Springs.
From CO, it's something like an 11-hour drive.
:banghead:

Anywho, the Palooza's the next great PCA gathering I've never been to & hope to rectify that. Your enthusiasm in threads like this make it seem a ton of fun.
Maybe this is the year to return to Arkinsaw; I have lots of happy memories of PCA friends & the roads when I owned a P-car there ...back before the first Palooza.

Nah, I'm not ahead of the organizers. They had the date on the books LAST year. It's sort of always the same weekend, wedged between the Ferrari / Miata / BMW / Alpha / MG weekends. October / November in Eureka Springs is car lovers heaven. Besides, It's on the calendar with the sponsoring regions Ozark and Cimmaron so that is how I know. :) Usually the website doesn't get updated until just before they open it up for registration........

You really should come and talk Alf into coming too. It would be a blast.

BTW There is a guy who drives out from Colorado. If he can do it, you can do it.

Nice to see TEXAS and TENNESSEE represented already! :)

RJT 06-26-2011 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 993BillW (Post 8667516)
I was just talking about Palooza with Hummel (JHummel68) and Mike (ArenaRed993) on Sat. We're all planning on going (this will be their first and my 3rd). I usually hook up with Chuck S. and friends just inside the Ark. state line and meet a bunch of others at Whole Hog for lunch. Look forward to it, great event!

Oe day you have to get down to the original Whole Hog in Little Rock..... :) As Robert says, they have the BEST pulled pork anywhere. Melts in your mouth. Me? I get the ribs. That melts in my hands :) We went to Bubba's in Eureka Springs for ribs and it's NO COMPARISON. We've heard it was good. I rank it pretty much second to the bottom of my list for ribs. Maybe it was an off day, but last night? Nope, no good.

Texas993 06-26-2011 11:55 PM

I'll be there. And I have driven all of those roads! Awesome and worth the trip.

murfysflaw 06-27-2011 02:47 PM

I won't have a Porsche by this year's event, but am going to try and remedy that for next year's!

97_993C2 06-27-2011 03:15 PM

I'm planning to be there. I think I already have a room, too. :D

Slow Guy 06-27-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by murfysflaw (Post 8668977)
I won't have a Porsche by this year's event, but am going to try and remedy that for next year's!

Humm Patrick, didn't you use that excuse last year?

;)

RJT 06-27-2011 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 993BillW (Post 8669311)
Humm Patrick, didn't you use that excuse last year?

;)

He uses it EVERY YEAR until he gets one.... :) He does know he doesn't need one to come up and enjoy the fun. There are plenty of seat to catch a ride in.

Nothing like driving over the golden gate bridge into Beaver....

SC2993 06-28-2011 09:23 AM

Can't wait for the Palooza JoAnne, we are in! Great people and scenery plus the chance to stretch my 993 legs with all the other Porsches!

RJT 06-28-2011 08:54 PM

Last year was big and I think it will be even bigger this year!

ARM993 06-28-2011 11:29 PM

Been a few years since I've been out. Now that I'm back in a Porsche I'm hoping to make it back out. With our recent move it looks like a 19 hour trip now but that could allow for an epic road trip week! Hopefully the closing on our OH house goes through with no hitches and I'll get some work done on the car before fall. Let you know.

Arena993 06-29-2011 09:29 AM

I'm in with the Rivi Blue Cab

Mike