Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   FD Motorsports Stage II Mufflers - Another satisfied customer (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/640977-fd-motorsports-stage-ii-mufflers-another-satisfied-customer.html)

LimeyBoy 06-25-2011 11:42 AM

FD Motorsports Stage II Mufflers - Another satisfied customer

1 Attachment(s)
First - I’ve dealt with Mark and Darin at FD Motorsports a couple of times now and I can absolutely confirm they are as good as everyone says. Knowledgeable with prompt service and perhaps most importantly for me, good communication throughout the transaction.

Last summer I heard an Audi R8 drive slowly past and the exhaust sound made me weak at the knees. I had never previously thought about modifying the C2 in this respect but that day changed my mind.

For my birthday 6 months later the wife gave me this….

Attachment 547267

(Yes, it should have said “Vroom” but the wife is from Denmark where they struggle with “V” and “W”, often confusing them – we both got a good laugh out of that when she realized. I get a kick out of the wife trying to say “Valiant Viking”, she’s a good sport)

I had already listened to all the You Tube clips and read all Stage II, Stage III reviews and decided that II’s were what I ‘needed’. The order went into FD the next day and a few weeks later job done, ready for the first startup. It honestly seemed like a different car and all the reviews are correct that said this is how the factory could have made it sound. It is such an improvement without any negative impact and I seriously have not listened to the radio in the 800 miles since fitting. Tunnels, concrete barriers and walls are now hunted down so I can amplify that sublime noise.

For anyone sitting on the fence:
a) FD Motorsports are a pleasure to deal with
b) On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most difficult, fitting these is probably a 1 or 2.
c) At idle:
- Windows up, radio off = not much different in noise/note
- Windows down or stood outside = nice throaty rumble
d) Full throttle through gears:
- Windows up, radio off = slightly louder but not by much. It must be a little louder because my varioram switch point “roar” seems a little subdued since the II’s were fitted
- Windows down = This is why you pay the money. Fantastic hard edged rasp that has changed the character of the car. Not in-your-face noisy though, for me it is a truly great improvement.
e) 5th or 6th gear cruising 45mph / 80 mph
- Windows up or down = Not much different in noise/note.
- Windows up = Zero resonance, zero annoyance. We did a 500 mile mini trip on the freeways sat at 80mph and I doubt anyone could tell there had been a change made.

Finally, I have wondered if Stage III’s would be even better without being too much (I like a little bit of discretion). Based on the above observations and guessing Mark and Darin did the same great job in balancing noise/note/resonance - I think so. Whether you go with II’s or III’s – you’ll probably be very, very happy.

Parnelli 06-25-2011 05:43 PM

great write-up. Thinking of getting Fisters for my 97 turbo

JJulian 06-25-2011 05:53 PM

Best mod for the money, got mine last week, thinking of getting the golden rod next.

Burkey 06-25-2011 05:57 PM

Have mine on order cannot wait to get installed and start for the first time:burnout:

MarkD 06-25-2011 06:02 PM

cool wife you have there!

congrats on both :)

steve porter 06-26-2011 05:48 AM

Got to hear my stage 3`s from the outside today when a mate of mine did a couple driveby`s for me, the snap crackle and pop`s on upshifting are worth the admission price , the awesome W.O.T sound and Barry White gargling marbles idle are pure bonus

993Porsche 06-26-2011 09:37 AM

Such a cool wife. Two thumbs up.

Ken

JMP911 06-26-2011 10:04 AM

Just ordered Stage 2's from Darin this past Friday. Like LimeyBoy, once they're installed, there is a good chance my radio will never be on again.

Z-nomore 06-26-2011 11:58 AM

I'm planning Stage 3's by this time next year. I can hardly wait...

Spidey 993 06-26-2011 04:19 PM

I have had Stage 2 and 3, and now the Fister Turbo. You can't go wrong with any of them, best upgrade by far!

mrsullivan 06-26-2011 08:54 PM

Spidey (or others), what was your favorite between 2 and 3, and why?

Spidey 993 06-27-2011 06:06 PM

My favorite was the 3's. Only because the sounds you hear coming from your exhaust are like a drug. Stage 2 on startup sound amazing and really come alive at that 3000 rpm level. Stage 3 on startup sound amazing plus give you wood and come alive when you step on the gas at any RPM level.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It just depends how much you want of it and since I want it all right now, I choose the 3's.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan (Post 8667236)
Spidey (or others), what was your favorite between 2 and 3, and why?

ryano 06-27-2011 09:22 PM

Did you notice a difference in the overall tone between the two? In the videos it seems the stage IIIs have a slightly higher pitch

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT (Post 8669681)
My favorite was the 3's. Only because the sounds you hear coming from your exhaust are like a drug. Stage 2 on startup sound amazing and really come alive at that 3000 rpm level. Stage 3 on startup sound amazing plus give you wood and come alive when you step on the gas at any RPM level.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It just depends how much you want of it and since I want it all right now, I choose the 3's.