Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Next step from 993 a TT or a GT 3

Old 06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
dsfnctn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The poster said he wanted "Fun". For anyone I have a 2400 lb 88 Clubsport for sale in the classifieds that 2,000 plus people have looked at but so far no one has been looking for that much fun. It IS totally street legal and is just a lighter 993 RS. 2400 lbs with a 3.8 motor . My point about the 993 gear box wasnt to offend anyone it just has the wrong ratios especially with the vairoram. It totally falls on its face between shifts
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

i think dsfnctn is not saying the 993 gear box is bad, i believe he is saying the gearing ratio for the USA mkt is "off". and to that effect, i cannot agree more. the gearing is too long. try the euro 993 gears and you will know what i mean. it really wakes the car up. in fact it makes it feel like a totally different car that you wont recognize. but that's the 993N/A. not sure if turbo has the same issue.

993TT is a classic and so will the 6gt3, not so much the 7.1gt3. drive all of them and decide. it's really a personal choice. i would love a 7.2GT3 4.0L motor in a 993GT2 body with cup car gearings and 73RS weight ;-)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

dsfnctn,

Actually, your car sounds awesome. And with a 3.8 and 2400 lbs, would be a great performer and lots of fun. However, "street legal" and "full cage, harnesses, fire system, and fuel cell" don't really work well together, even though it may have a license plate.

I won't argue that for peak performance the NA 993s can use shorter ratios. Stock ratios work great in a TT, btw.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Ed,

I couldn't quote his posts... they were HUGE. Besides... I don't know how.
Keith sent me a pm telling me how to quote posts. I just have to try this out.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
dsfnctn,

Thanks for clarifying. But you didn't offer an opinion, you offered to sell him your race car. BTW, you may want to correct your ad when you talk about "break fade". Its "brake fade".

Like any car, the 993 has its faults... the transmission is NOT one of them.

Ed,

I couldn't quote his posts... they were HUGE. Besides... I don't know how.
Originally Posted by ca993twin
Keith sent me a pm telling me how to quote posts. I just have to try this out.
Now you have to learn how to do multiple quotes!!!

BTW, C2s's 996TT inspection is on again this Sat. at Shoppers Corner early am if you still wanna check it out... pm me.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sanyata
Now you have to learn how to do multiple quotes!!!

BTW, C2s's 996TT inspection is on again this Sat. at Shoppers Corner early am if you still wanna check it out... pm me.
PM sent!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I see I was less than clear in my original post. By TT. I meant 993TT or near new GT3. I have a friend who raced 911's for a number of years who loves his new GT3 but then he is contemplating installing air jacks. He offered to let me drive it so I'll definitely do that but I know I have been seduced by power in the past. I am inclined to the TT since I loved my 993's. As to Marv's post...I would like to think I am a leather jacket and jeans guy but at my age it's more like pajamas. Thanks all....Chris
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I'll say it again.

drive both.

its the only way
Old 06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i would love a 7.2GT3 4.0L motor in a 993GT2 body with cup car gearings and 73RS weight ;-)

oh man the thought of that has me week in the knees! Beautiful!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Quadcammer I always enjoy you posts. I wish it was as simple for me to just drive both. I will certainly do that, but in my case it takes me some time to realize all the many traits I like and dislike about a car. I have had boats all of my life, and in the case of boats I can charter one for a week or two and get a good idea if I would like one. I don't see anybody letting me drive their 993TT for a week or two to see if I like it enough to buy it. This is why the many comments from other Porsche owners is so helpful to me. I should probably know my own mind better than I do but there it is....Cheers.....Chris
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM
zizu
Racer

dsfnctn, your SC is amazing and I'm part responsible of the thousands views. I think it's perfect and needs nothing however it's hard to swallow this kind of price for a "toy".
If I had the cash I would be all over it though.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
dr jim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Quadcammer I always enjoy you posts. I wish it was as simple for me to just drive both. I will certainly do that, but in my case it takes me some time to realize all the many traits I like and dislike about a car. I have had boats all of my life, and in the case of boats I can charter one for a week or two and get a good idea if I would like one. I don't see anybody letting me drive their 993TT for a week or two to see if I like it enough to buy it. This is why the many comments from other Porsche owners is so helpful to me. I should probably know my own mind better than I do but there it is....Cheers.....Chris
Chris - I will share my impressions of the 993 TT based on my ownership of a stock, low mileage car for the past year and a half. Unfortunately, I have never driven (or ridden in) a GT3 so my impressions of the car are based solely on what others have written.

In my opinion, if you like your 993 you will love the 993 TT, which I think of as a 993 on steroids. The TT has awesome acceleration, great visual appeal (for most people), the ability to achieve a reasonable compromise between ride and handling (with proper suspension tuning), and acceptable levels of NVH on real world roads. It's also fun to drive at reasonable speeds.

My impression is that the GT3 is more of a street legal race car, which means it will have, compared to the TT, sharper handling and steering with more immediate acceleration, but also a harsher ride, and higher levels of NVH.

In terms of how I see the "essence" of the two cars, I would characterize the TT as more of a classic "Grand Touring" type car designed for traveling long distances at high speeds (albeit based on a 15+ year old design), while the GT3 is a modern, high performance sports car designed for getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, with some trade-offs in comfort.

My personal concern with a GT3 (which may be unfounded) is that it is too capable for the street, and would not be a lot of fun to drive at anywhere near the legal speed limit, resulting in the rather rapid loss of my driver's license. Personally, I find that driving very track focused cars on the street is exciting for short, fast drives, but very fatiguing (and not fun) for extended drives.

Ultimately, I think the right decision comes down to what you value in a car. If you want to own one of the ultimate performance cars the GT3 is the way to go. When I was buying my car I wanted a car for the street that would be fun to drive on twisty roads and comfortable for long trips. Based on this I decided the 993TT (and the later 996 and 997 Turbos) was the best fit for my needs. However, if I was buying a car mostly for track use it would very likely be a GT3.

Jim
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I think Dr Jim did a good job describing the two. I would add that we are all different, and prefer different things from a car. Personally, I enjoy a car that needs to be "driven". I like shifting, I like keeping the revs up, and because of that, I don't really care about torque. I even enjoy a manual gearbox in traffic. I have only had one short drive in a 996 GT3, and I loved it. Do not expect a smooth, comfortable ride in a GT3... they are much harder edged than any TT. However, for long drives, I'll take the 993TT.

From his description of his preferences and previous cars, I feel like the OP, salmonschris is a driver much like me (though probably younger and better looking). The GT3 may be just the ticket for fun, and screw the comfort and torque.

That being said, I'll never give up Rufus. But... if I didn't own Rufus, I'd have me one of them 997 GT3s!

<edit> If deprecation matters, the 993TT will be the winner. If fuel mileage counts, the GT3 wins.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If you ever consider spending (more) time on the track the GT3 is the better choice. If you do not plan to track the car, I would go 993 TT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next step from 993 a TT or a GT 3