Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Possible 993 Purchase need help (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/640642-possible-993-purchase-need-help.html)

ender928 06-23-2011 12:37 PM

Possible 993 Purchase need help

This car is in CA so hopefully someone on here knows more about this car. I am interested in this car and I paid for a PPI to be done by one of the auctions "qualified inspectors" I was pleased with his result it as a lot of issues. Top doesn't work, missing radio, missing back seats and headlights don't work. It starts and runs fine according to him. Was just wondering if someone knew anything else about it before I cancel my vacation and sell some crap at below market.

ender928 06-23-2011 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
pics

Kika 06-23-2011 12:44 PM

need a bit more info, can you post the ad, where is the car located more specifically, Ca is a pretty big state.

It would help if we knew your objectives, do you want a project to work on, or turnkey just buy it and go?

No HTwo O 06-23-2011 12:47 PM

A PPI done by an auction house's "qualified inspectors" is hardly a PPI.

ender928 06-23-2011 12:53 PM

Van Nuys, CA no ad its an auction, so I'm taking a big risk but I will be getting it at a low price.

ender928 06-23-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by No HTwo O (Post 8659831)
A PPI done by an auction house's "qualified inspectors" is hardly a PPI.

I agree that's why I was wondering if anyoe knew anything more on the car don't want to change a ton of plans and then find out its missing like 3 gears.

e9stibi 06-23-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ender928 (Post 8659856)
Van Nuys, CA no ad its an auction, so I'm taking a big risk but I will be getting it at a low price.

With what you know it is not taking a big risk. I would compare it more to gambling with the known outcomes. If you are a gambler, go for it.

Getting a 993 at a low price CAN cost you thousands to sort the car out. Tranny and Engine work is very expensive. But there is more that can break and cost plenty of money ...

Kika 06-23-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ender928 (Post 8659856)

those go hand in hand. I understand all about trying to reduce your risk, but I am guessing a full independent PPI ahead of time is out of the question.

in response to the original question, I have no knowledge of that car, but in general, based on your description of things you already know are wrong, it seems like the car was NOT well cared for. As such, I would assume the worst as far as the motor is concerned. the G50 tranny is pretty tough, so I don't know that I would assume the worst there, but I would definitely assume the motor will need a top end.
Shocks probably need to be replaced and I would guess a lot of other things

Add all up, and if it is still a deal to you, then go for it. If you are looking for a project, this could be ideal.

Academictech 06-23-2011 01:32 PM

nice looking car, if you're pretty good with a wrench could be a good value, just keep in mind anything major with the transmission or engine means an engine removal

you might get it for $10K but you can easily drop that amount getting it roadworthy

there's a decent blue cab on here by a Rennlister for $20K, it has a lot of miles but at least you'll know what you're getting, not too many long time Rennlisters are going to steer you wrong on a purchase

you certainly picked the right model year and came to the right place for advice.

good luck!

ender928 06-23-2011 01:33 PM

Im gonna pass its on Copart if anyones interested the vin is wp0ca2999ts341820 I googled it and there was an ad where the PO was selling it for 20k. He mentions it was repainted so was probably in a collision. Thanks guys.

ender928 06-23-2011 01:35 PM

http://www.musclecars.net/classified...646978426.html

Here is the ad this car was not taken care of at all.

Kika 06-23-2011 02:15 PM

The Ebay auction ended at $20.6K and the reserve was not met, so they want more than that. I definitely would pass on it, there are too many unknowns and risks, for comparison, look at this car https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lack-sold.html
that sold yesterday for $27.5K.

nile13 06-23-2011 02:43 PM

If you can get it for $15K or less at the auction, I'd go for it. A clearly unloved car, but it's all there and the parts alone would be more than that. It's a project, of course, but a fun project. Put together and barring any major collision and totaled titles in the past (check Carfax/Autocheck) this is a $24-25K cab, possibly more that that.

Kika, Bart's car is a great example of what can be done with a little TLC, but don't forget, it has 101K miles vs. 62K in this car. Bart put in $5K and ended up with a very nice 993, so this might be a similar situation.

ender928 06-23-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by nile13 (Post 8660202)
If you can get it for $15K or less at the auction, I'd go for it. A clearly unloved car, but it's all there and the parts alone would be more than that. It's a project, of course, but a fun project. Put together and barring any major collision and totaled titles in the past (check Carfax/Autocheck) this is a $24-25K cab, possibly more that that.

Kika, Bart's car is a great example of what can be done with a little TLC, but don't forget, it has 101K miles vs. 62K in this car. Bart put in $5K and ended up with a very nice 993, so this might be a similar situation.

I am confident it will go for under 15k but the reason I am no longer interested is apparently it has been repainted before. It is a CT and no damage has been reported but I have seen many cars where they clearly have been hit and still clean titles.

cpdjfd107 06-23-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ender928 (Post 8660234)
I am confident it will go for under 15k but the reason I am no longer interested is apparently it has been repainted before. It is a CT and no damage has been reported but I have seen many cars where they clearly have been hit and still clean titles.

If you want a 993 and especially a cab I would really consider looking into that Rennlisters car that is for sale for 20k. I think it is naroscape's car not sure if I spelled his screen name correctly, but it is blue with 197k miles and has nice fikse wheels. From what I read about the car don't let the miles scare you. If I was in the market for a cheap convertible 993 I would be all over his car. No affiliation I just think it is a bargain for someone looking.