Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My wife just made a huge mistake...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My wife just made a huge mistake...

She bought me a track day experience with Exotics Racing. This was more addictive than crack and I think I'm hooked ! Now my mod budget is definitely going to go way up. I have previously Auto-X'd a few times, but getting out on a road course was 10x better!

I got to drive both a 997S and a F430. The Ferrari had more power, but the PDK transmission in the Porsche was much better. Perhaps it was because the handling characteristics were similar to my 993 which I am used to, or because I had a better instructor in the 997, but I think I cornered better in it... although the power of the F-car was very addictive. They also had a GT3-RS on the track giving rides with a professional driver and I kinda wish I had a chance to do that too. Exotics Racing ran a pretty good experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't already been on a track, or maybe wants to see what the competition has to offer.

Now I can't wait to get out on the track in my own car !
Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

There are a LOT of good improvements you can do that will utterly transform your car without compromising its streetability,........
Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Time to find a good place to hide receipts.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

get ready $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many of us have been bitten by the track bug. Congrats, your Porsche experience is about to expand significantly!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Ask Mooty about track budgets.

Have fun.

CP
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Really, do a few DE days with a STOCK car, get used to it. Then get tires, after a few more days, blow the budget.

BE CAREFUL, it will get STUPID expensive fast. This is why I Auto-X now. It started to cost almost $1000 (average over a year) a track day for me, doing 3-6 a month. My CC & bank account could not keep up. It got to a point where I would take a 2hr lunch & hit the track, best lunch time ever, but it will catch up to you.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
There are a LOT of good improvements you can do that will utterly transform your car without compromising its streetability,........
There's a lot of life left in our outdated air cooleds. And stock street cars, of any generation, really don't even match up against a mid-pack Spec Miata driven to its capability.

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Really, do a few DE days with a STOCK car, get used to it. Then get tires, after a few more days, blow the budget.

BE CAREFUL, it will get STUPID expensive fast. This is why I Auto-X now. It started to cost almost $1000 (average over a year) a track day for me, doing 3-6 a month. My CC & bank account could not keep up. It got to a point where I would take a 2hr lunch & hit the track, best lunch time ever, but it will catch up to you.
Doesn't have to. Like I had equivalent money in the early '80s........ But I managed to get enough seat time, both wheel-to-wheel and general track events (albeit seldom in my 911) while in college and later when nearly all of my money went into opening/building up the Porsche/BMW shop.

Personally, I'd quit before autocross was the alternative. Certainly in a street driven car. And that's not to **** on the sport itself, just that it's basically the same price/time effort to run low-ish end cost, not skill, wheel-to-wheel (regional or NASA SM, SRF) as it does to autocross in a competitive (read: tire eating) class.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Time to find a good place to hide receipts.
I'm thinking I would need to hide some income, because the wife watches the bank account and credit card bills too closely... but maybe a smarter move would be too get her hooked, because she likes to drive fast too! The kids will just have to do well enough to get scholarships if they want to go to college.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Woooooohoooooo! Hang on -- its a wild ride down that mod path

Truth be told, other than investing in safety equipment that fits YOU nicely, there isnt a whole lot that the 993 requires to be track worthy, especially while you are learning. It might be a few years before you will really need to mod the car. Learn all you can on street rubber!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Speak of the truth, Yoda does.
Difficult it is, to avoid the path of the Mod dark-side.......

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Woooooohoooooo! Hang on -- its a wild ride down that mod path

Truth be told, other than investing in safety equipment that fits YOU nicely, there isnt a whole lot that the 993 requires to be track worthy, especially while you are learning. It might be a few years before you will really need to mod the car. Learn all you can on street rubber!

Quick Reply: My wife just made a huge mistake...