993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsche 993 fair price on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 AM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche 993 fair price on ebay

Hi I'm new to this forum, and received a ton of help when I bought my last car through another forum. Ive been looking at the 993 wide body for a couple of months. I have found one on eBay and wanted to know what the members on Rennlist think about the value. I know its not possible to get a true appraisal since it's just pics but what do you think is a fair price?
Here is the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_564wt_1021

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I will be a member with a 993 soon!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice looking car and with the mileage it will probably be a good deal.

40-50K

depends what he wants for all the extras.....
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if the owner will pull the auction at the end since there is 'no reserve' on it? It is difficult to gauge value and pricing without actually driving and seeing it, and knowing such little detailed info. Sounds like a $40,000+ car but is it?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Assuming everything checks out and there are no major issues, I think mid 40s is a fair price, car looks clean and the additions (Ruf wheels and red seat belts) are nice and tasteful, and suggest to me a responsible owner. if some one REALLY wants it bad, I could see high 40s.

In my experience, almost ALL ebay buyers are looking for a bargin.

Once the price gets too high, you might as well take your cash to Truspeed and get their customer service for the premium.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agreed it looks nice - couple things I noted - it has Ruf "style" wheels vs. actual Ruf wheels - I'd ask the seller some more details and while it has lowering springs it leaves the impression the dampers (Monroe) are original. 78K on the odometer - those shocks are shot! still may be a great car but a couple of things to at least inquire about... good luck!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Thank you for the feedback, I will be sure to ask him more questions about the car.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

I honestly don't see how this is a $40K + car?

It's got 78K miles on it, not 28,38,etc. Appears to have well worn stock dampers as mentioned, and is a lightly optioned car to boot. While the recent service and clutch are certainly noteable, there will certainly be more to do.

What exactly did that last service include? Has the dist belt been done, etc.

Maintenance records, # of owners, etc...Personally, if this car brings more than $38K I'd be surprised. You can factor in the extra stock parts. The stock twists could be sold, as well as the stock rear deck...and recoup some $$, but not too much.

My 97 C4S was a bargain compared to this car, and came with a van full of extras for $39K.

Add in the cost of new dampers, probably motor mounts, Walrod bushings, etc, and you need another $2-3K just to get it in shape.

just my $.02

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Good point! Not sure if the owner has it or a shop. Tried emailing and the original guy I thought owned it emailed me that he won't be in town and to talk to someone else. I'm new to the 993 but have loved them since I saw them. Finally have the green light to get one, but definitely want the right one. This one LOOK right on the outside but without seeing it would be a big risk to just throw out a number to pay.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a wide body, buy it from one of these guys--there are a few on the forum right now.

You will be dealing with honest and obsessed folks who will sell you a fine, well-cared-for example at a fair price.

Oh, and invest in Rennlist--best investment (after your Rennlister's wide body) you will make.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^ +993

Except you'll probably have to pry cold dead fingers off the steering wheel before they'll part with their obsession.

Looking at the Ebay listing, while it's a nice looking car that's a tough buy without a PPI. Detailed service history, especially the on the clutch change is important.

Seller seems to be in the car biz based on his buy/sell history.

Caveat emptor.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

I will probably pass on this one. As nice as it is, you get what you pay for and i'm sure some repairs will be needed. If you know anyone with a Black 993 widebody, send them my way! Direct email njunio@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The only thing worse than paying a few grand too much is not buying at all and going a summer without....you could be dead next year.

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 fair price on ebay