Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Traded one problem for another (I think) after closing a vacuum leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded one problem for another (I think) after closing a vacuum leak.

A little history... When cold starting my 95' My idle was hunting during the first two minutes of the engine running. Popular consensus was a possible vacuum leak. Also AC was blowing nice and cold under light throttle/normal driving but when I would get into the gas pedal too deep the cold air coming out of the front vends would nearly stop and a wheezing sound could be heard. When I get off the gas the ice cold air would return to flow. General consensus on this also was a possible vacuum leak. Two symptoms that were possible vacuum related issues got me to figure i had a vacuum leak. fast forward to last weekend.
Last weekend i had the rear blower motor out while replacing my rear hood struts to make the job much easier. I decided while I was in there and since much of the vacuum lines on the 95 are in the general area of that blower motor that I would search for a vacuum leak while i was in there. Well I found one... There is a T connector buried near the left intake and fan area by the ductwork that had a vacuum line clearly disconnected from it. the vacuum tube was sitting right next to the t fitting but was not in the t fitting. surely a vacuum leak... so while putting everything back together I pushed the vacuum tube back into the fitting... drove all week very happy that the engine did not hunt for idle at start up anymore and thought all was well. until today when i turned on the AC and now there is obviously something wrong with the AC. It blows a very small amount of cold air but mostly ambient temp air. Any ideas what may be wrong? I'm not sure where/what the vacuum line I connected went to but am considering pulling the vacuum line back out of the fitting to see if things go back to how they were. mind you I used the ac less than a week before I "fixed" this vacuum leak and though not perfect, I was getting copious qty's of cold air as long as I wasn't mashing the gas. now I get allot of ambient temp air but very little COLD air. however I can still feel COLD air coming out too. Any Ideas?

Nick
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Warpig
Pro

anyone?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but when was the last time any R134 was added? Earlier Prosches never really had the greatest AC to begin with.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Warpig
Pro

what puzzles me is that two weeks ago I had lots of cold air. I still feel cold air coming out but it just a dribble. It seems to me as if two weeks ago the air was 100% (by volume) cold air and after putting the vacuum hose back in place now the mix is 90% ambient temp air and 10% cold air. I do still feel cold air coming out of the vent... just not much. Leads me to believe it's a mixing issue and not a charging issue. I was playing with it last night again and I didnt hear the compressor clutch engaging, however when I feel the two pressure lines going into the compressor one feels hot and the other is ice cold.

Nick

Quick Reply: Traded one problem for another (I think) after closing a vacuum leak.