Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Good alignment shop for a 993 in Colorado?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good alignment shop for a 993 in Colorado?

Visually, it looks like I have more camber on one front wheel than I do on the other front wheel. Basically, if I look at the top of the tire, on one side, it looks flush with the edge of the fender and if I look at the other side, it looks tucked it a little bit. No unusual tire wear, no pull in the steering, no tram lining, it just LOOKS off and I’d like to have the alignment checked.

In the past, I have been very happy with Merrill Wheel and Axle in Lakewood, but I am not sure they can deal with the kinematic part of a 993. They PROBABLY can, but I’m just not sure. I know A LOT Of people use/trust/like Tire Source in Boulder, but again, I am not sure about the Kinematic piece of the equation.

So, with that said, does anyone have a “Go To” place for 993 alignments in Colorado?

TIA!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can recommend Eurosport Automotive (Dave Marshall) in Arvada. They can do alignments and corner balancing. I have no experience with them regarding 993's but they did a nice job with my '86 911.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do a rough check of your camber. Make sure you're on level ground. Put a level vertically against your wheel at the bottom and hold it level (vertically, of course). Now you can measure how far away the top of the wheel is from the level. Then you can compare it with the other side. With a little math you can figure the camber percentage, but the most value is you can see if both sides are about the same.

If you're not sure the ground is level, after measuring the first time reverse the car and do it again.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I just used Prestige Porsche in Lakewood. They did corner balancing and alignment for me (along with new tires, 30K, shocks, etc.) Great job done by ONE mechanic trained on 993. The quotes I got from indies were the same or higher. You get 15% off labor and 10% off parts on everything except tires for a 1998 or older Porsche. There tire prices were basically the same as tire rack.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I can recommend Eurosport Automotive (Dave Marshall) in Arvada. They can do alignments and corner balancing. I have no experience with them regarding 993's but they did a nice job with my '86 911.
Thanks! I will give them a call and ask about 993 alignments.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the shop you select knows how to set kinematic toe, and has the proper tool for it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by il pirata
I just used Prestige Porsche in Lakewood. They did corner balancing and alignment for me (along with new tires, 30K, shocks, etc.) Great job done by ONE mechanic trained on 993. The quotes I got from indies were the same or higher. You get 15% off labor and 10% off parts on everything except tires for a 1998 or older Porsche. There tire prices were basically the same as tire rack.

I had thought about Prestige, but my past experience with them has been less than favorable. It’s been YEARS since I stepped foot in the place (high prices and poor customer service), but last time I talked to them they had ZERO interest in doing any work to a car that had modifications......unless, of course, your name is Adele Arakawa.

Example, I had an Audi that had been lowered (and I lowered it with OEM parts) and they told me that it couldn’t be aligned because it had been lowered. This was before ever getting it on a rack and after I told them that I was okay with “close enough” and I understood that “no warranty was expressed or implied” and they still wouldn't even write a work order for the alignment. They suggested that I try Plus One down the street.

Of course, changes in policy and attitude are always possible and I am always happy to give someone a second chance. I’ll give them a call and ask. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Make sure the shop you select knows how to set kinematic toe, and has the proper tool for it.
EXACTLY my concern!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
jhale
Pro

I used Stevinson Porsche in Littleton and had a very good experience with them. You can watch through the waiting room if you would like to see how the do it. They charged me $250 for the service based on records. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
I just used Prestige Porsche in Lakewood. Great job done by ONE mechanic trained on 993.
Was that Dave Stribling by chance?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Was that Dave Stribling by chance?
Dave is the Service Manager. Nice guy and seems to know his stuff (although I am easy to fool)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good alignment shop for a 993 in Colorado?